Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 23 replies

WiMax

mobi25

Mar 20, 2007, 7:19 PM
What does everyone think about Sprint going to WiMax? What are they going to do with their CDMA networks? What will WiMax handsets do? Is WiMax going to be a global competitor for CDMA or GSM?
digitmasher

Mar 20, 2007, 10:14 PM
The CDMA networks will remain in place, as of right now WiMax will compliment CDMA Voice and EvDO data until the general population adopts mobile voip. It will be some time before WiMax becomes the predominant network Sprint uses for voice and data.

Initially devices will be more like PDA's with focus on data, still using CDMA for voice. Further down the road we might see more ubiquitous implementations of devices using the standard.
mobi25

Mar 21, 2007, 9:42 AM
Do you know about the voice quality of VOIP? Does it sound natural?
nextel18

Mar 22, 2007, 6:06 PM
I have tried VOIP products and comparing it against Cellular devices and landlines; I do not see a difference at all amongst those 3 platforms I mentioned.
Maarek

Apr 16, 2008, 3:35 PM
If you have a cable phone line, you're using VoIP because that's the only way to get the data over the cable lines. Like a cell tower, you need to be within range of the router for wireless VoIP to work.
dshearn

Sep 15, 2008, 1:24 PM
Some Voip is out of this world.

It CAN blow cellular out of the water if there is enough dedicated bandwith
poweredup

Apr 13, 2007, 2:08 PM
when you call a sprint store your talking on voip 😉 well at least i knw my store uses voip.
ElTriste

Apr 6, 2008, 1:57 PM
So...just a thought. As far as we are in the mobile internet technology, worrying about speeds of 3 and 4 Mbps (which is FAR better then you'll ever get at ATT DSL, or cable) because of the amount of people pulling bandwidth.(although they support up to those speeds)Can we for a second people, flash back to around 93, or around there, and Lip service Chatting was the the greatest thing? I remember being the poor kid, and only having an 18.8kbps modem, and how cool it was when I finally got comcast (this was when napster was still free, and lars ulrich was protesting like a college senior) Our modems came originally from our phone lines, most of the time on the same line. So at some point, the "internet" as it were, was born from, and technic...
(continues)
Jayshmay

Apr 15, 2008, 11:06 PM
Your post was very interesting to read.

What the heck does it mean to work for the "red couch"???
Knightlyjay

Apr 17, 2008, 6:54 AM
Verizon I suspect. If you look at the V, it's angled, one side is longer than the other.
ElTriste

Jun 15, 2008, 1:29 PM
I work for radioshack. and as slow as our stores are compared to the large blue box (whos wireless associates are f***** retarded) I have alot of time to think
nextel18

Mar 22, 2007, 6:05 PM
I think Wimax will be a very strong competitor and will allow for further differentiation from their peers. It will allow for more applications at a cheaper rate. Think about TV but instead of on their DO system, which is good, on the Wimax networks it would be better.

They are going to keep CDMA but going to do the Wimax as an overlay and try to get a lot of heavy data users and data centric users to use the Wimax because it is faster but more importantly cheaper per bit.

Handsets on the Wimax platform will consist again of data centric users such as PDAs, data cards and those types of handsets.

I think Wimax will be a global competitor because as it becomes commercialized and spectrum is more available you will see a lot of pot...
(continues)
coziamnumber1

Apr 9, 2007, 9:23 AM
A lot of major players (Bill Gates, Comcast, to name a few) have been eyeballing sprint and WiMax to see what it can do.

It should definatly be a hit for data centric users.
nextel18

Apr 9, 2007, 5:47 PM
Gates’ rumor was around 2 or so years ago not the current rumor, because MSFT would never be allowed to buy a company as big as Sprint.
Jayshmay

Apr 13, 2007, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the advantages of WiMax, not only the super, super fast speeds, but also the range. I live in Las Vegas, it would be nice if, because of the range of WiMax that mobile broadband is available in places like Mt. Charleston and Red Rock Canyon and so on, and Lake Mead, that would be so, so awesome.

But I am very disspointed that upon launch it will only be available in what 2 cities right, Washington D.C., and I think Chicago? At launch there should be at least 8 cities or so. I think.
nextel18

Apr 13, 2007, 12:53 PM
They are going to be launching a lot more places, three cities for right now, and more to come, but they want to be careful. They have to launch it anyway due to the regulators request. If it is not there now, it will be in the future, especially if they have spectrum in those areas. I posted about this in the Sprint forum I believe with regarding their spectrum location so if you want you can look for it.

Well again, they want to take their time and not roll it out at once because they want to make sure that the demand is there, which it would be, but they want to see how much bandwidth is being used so they can expand the requirements when needed. It is good to do things slowly. Rather have them do it slowly and right then quick and no...
(continues)
renardlee

Apr 14, 2007, 9:01 PM
WiMax would espcially the interest of major tellco's, like at&t and verizon, instead of using physical lines for their backhaul networks they could use Wimax, Comcast could do the same thing
nextel18

Apr 15, 2007, 4:13 PM
Great idea you bring up, but there is a little problem, and that is those companies do not have MMDS spectrum to deploy such a Wimax type network. They would have to buy out Clear Wire, or Sprint to get that spectrum or wait until the 700 MHz auction comes to place and bid.

Comcast, as per the joint venture, has access to Sprint’s Wimax network.
Rich Brome

Apr 28, 2007, 3:46 PM
WiMax will complement CDMA, not replace it.

That's all I can say for sure. At a Sprint press conference at CTIA last month, a lot of reporters were asking questions like that, and unfortunately even Sprint's top executives weren't able to give a clear answer.
digitmasher

May 16, 2007, 7:22 PM
The important capability that I'm looking forward to once the dual mode CDMA/WiMax handsets launch is *simultaneous* voice and data!

I loathe our GSM brethren because they already have this capability.
linkypants

May 17, 2007, 5:24 PM
Wow, that sounds awesome!!! CAn't wait for that one come out!
linkypants

May 17, 2007, 5:24 PM
😁
downphoenix

Apr 15, 2008, 9:55 PM
Sprint's gotta make sure this do this one right, after all, if Wimax takes off, it could become the 1st BIG thing in wireless internet for phones and computers. Data previously on phones have paled to Cable or DSL, at best is comparable to DSL, and connection cards aren't too much better, also DSLesque. Wimax on the other hand will provide speeds that are cablesesque or even better. If Sprint can rollout its network smoothly and hit all the major markets by the time Verizon just starts its test launches of LTE, it could become the standard here, and Sprint could expect a lot of profit if it was to have the most widely used wireless broadband standard. Of course, who knows how long it will last, since LTE theoretical output is better (though ...
(continues)
60dollarcarcharger

Apr 16, 2008, 4:45 PM
dude... thanks for bringing up a dead thread... WiMax is gonna tank. No other significant carriers are going with the technology.. LTE is going to be everything that fanboy's would hope wimax would be... oh yeah, and without the interfernce to the satelitte spectrum

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.