Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 39 replies

Please reply-Sprint or Verizon which is better?

Winsome

Oct 23, 2003, 8:19 PM
Ok,

I am a current Sprint customer.....and I just love the Sanyo phones they are so durable, however, I was thinking about switching companies. Verizon has more towers, technicians on site and bill pay. Techies on site is important to me cause with sprint I have to go 1 hour away if I have trouble with my phone, and less roaming for me but you cannot bring Sprint phones over to Verizon.

Which is better in terms of service and/or Phones? 😉
Big Poppa

Oct 23, 2003, 11:58 PM
Each company has its good points and bad points.

Verizon has a larger network, but not all your features work everywhere on it like they do with Sprint PCS.

Sprint PCS does have Techs in most of their stores, just like Verizon, and Sprint has bill pay too. Sprint Alows you to pay online at www.sprintpcs.com via Credit/Debit card, online Check, and you can setup for Autopayments every month either by Credit/Debit card or through your Electronic funds Transfer. You can also pay through your cell phone via *3 and make a payment via Credit/Debit Card or by check.. You can also use the automated Payment machin in thier stores, you can make payments via Western Union, or by the Sprint PCS payment card which you can get from Radio Shack. Trus...
(continues)
rexyblue

Oct 26, 2003, 10:53 PM
True, SPCS offers "unlimited" Vision, but this applies to accessing the web from your phone, NOT your computer. It's bogus, totally. They're missing a huge marketing opportunity. The Terms of Service EXCLUDE using your phone as a modem to connect your laptop to the internet. If you do so, SPCS can terminate your Vision pack and charge you .01 per kb of data. At least Verizon permits this openly, even if they charge your bucket of minutes.

That said, I'm entirely satisfied with voice services from Sprint, especially with their F&C America add-on. My phone works everywhere I go without roaming charges. I also think Sprint's phones are MUCH better than Verizon's, and Sprint doesn't charge you an arm and a leg to change your phone whenever yo...
(continues)
Screwball

Oct 27, 2003, 10:29 AM
That is true in some aspects but Verizon's Americas choice plan covers just as much as sprints everything plan and is cheaper.

Plus for a good sprint phone they start at around 179.99 without activation.
Chris Russell

Oct 29, 2003, 4:57 PM
America's Choice has roaming. You need to compare it with National Single Rate which is much more expensive than SPCS F&C America.

Chris
mcfadonna

Oct 29, 2003, 9:52 PM
sprint is better in some areas where verizon is better than others.verizon has much better cs that is no doubt about it.you call sprint cs twice and get two seperate answers.sprint has the better web downloading from sites like 3gupload. get it now is a cruel joke.I have a buddy working at verizon and can get hooked up but ive got 2000 anytime ulimited n/w ,ulimited pcs to pcs unlimited vision w/pictures,f/c america no roaming or long dist charges for 105. and now sprint just came out with a prl update that puts digital roam over analog so doesnt matter if there is only verizon towers in the area ill digital roam on verizon towers.Im sure verizon is great but with the plan i got and no roaming and free ringer and screensaver downloads from 3...
(continues)
PrincessJ1012

Mar 4, 2004, 5:28 PM
First of all let me start by saying I agree with just about everything said on the posts about this subject. I have had AT&T Wireless, Cingular, Verizon, and now Sprint PCS. ALl of them had HORRIBLE customer service. The one thing people fail to realize is that no matter what carrier you go to when you call into their customer care line you do not know who you are going to get and what kind of mood they are in. That being said, when you go into a Sprint store to get your problems fixed you are treated 5000 times better than over the phone...period!
Sprint always has and always will be on the cutting edge of technology with their cell phones. The rate plans are great (and I heard going to get even better). Where else can you go and get...
(continues)
cookie137

Oct 30, 2003, 9:37 AM
Verizon has better service. Sprint has nicer phones, but verizons phones are so scarce because they make sure there phones work, sprint phones look nice but there garbage and they never work, so they better not charge you to change your phone because they know youll need to change phones every 8-9 months cause there phones are junk,
mcfadonna

Oct 30, 2003, 10:37 AM
If you did youre homework you would see that SPRINT ANDS VERIZON HAVE THE SAME SERVICE! Sprint works better in some areas where Verizon works better in others. Verizon has better CS. But my phone has always WORKED THE SAME NO MATTER WHERE I AM. I have the Sanyo 8100 and i havent had a problem with it. I chose to change my phone cause sprint is always comming out with better phones and technology. we are not stuck with those crappy moto's and lg's like verizon. You should know what you talk about before you speak.My wife went to Cali and she is sending pictures to my phone cause our service works the same where ever you are. Sprint has had two bad phones and those are the n400 and the lg5350. all the rest work fine and dont cut in and out lik...
(continues)
evengrift

Nov 7, 2003, 1:48 PM
Sprint phones are garbage? That's funny. Have you actually used one? Apart from the aforementioned a460 and n400, they have the best phones out there. The only thing they're lacking is bluetooth, but guess what? Verizon doesn't offer a bluetooth phone either. Sanyo's have consistently rated the highest, and offer a level of call clarity not available on any Verizon phone. Heck, Verizon doesn't even offer a Sanyo phone. Verizon is still pushing some motorola junk too..
Winsome

Oct 24, 2003, 12:07 AM
Oh yeah and if you want to change plans with verizon, they do not make you re-new your contract like sprint does. 🙄
Big Poppa

Oct 24, 2003, 11:57 AM
Not if your changing plans within the same promotional period. The billing system will do it automatically, but the rep should be manually changing the contact end date back to the original.

Now if you change to a new promotion that wasnt offered when you signed on for your original plan, yes you would have to extend your contract then..
jessalyn

Oct 24, 2003, 1:27 PM
Not true at all. I have changed my TXT messaging promo many times during my contract and Verizon has not exteneded it. They have wonderful customer service.. just tell them you do not want your contract extended and you are free to change to any promotion you wish.
Winsome

Oct 24, 2003, 4:55 PM
😁

Thanks Jessalyn...

How do you like verizon services?

also, big poppa the sprint stores up here are full fledge stores just no technician, again in Pennsylvania they have all technicians in one place.
Winsome

Oct 24, 2003, 11:09 PM
I like how verizon gives you 100.00 towards a phone at the end of your contracts.
chica

Oct 30, 2003, 12:14 PM
Sprint also has an upgrade program.
Winsome

Oct 30, 2003, 4:51 PM
What is it....I been with Sprint for 5 years and I never heard of that benefit.
evengrift

Nov 7, 2003, 1:50 PM
Ask them.. I and other people I know have gotten huge breaks on Sprint PCS phones. They're often in the form of a service credit, but that's fine by me.
cellconn

Jan 7, 2004, 8:37 PM
are all sprint users retarded? maybe that statement was too advanced for those that feel sprint has a better network. verizon = better. lets make it even less simple. verizon = best. to clarify i am not speaking of phone selection, rates, or customer service. i am merely commenting on network.
verizons network does still have analog but everything that they represent on coverage maps is there current digital service. lets be realistic - verizons map looks like someone got murdered across the whole U.S. sprint on the other hand shows what appears to be a spiderweb - highways and major cities. if you look at sprints true "nationwide" plan that includes roaming all they are showing you is verizons singlerate national map. maybe my o...
(continues)
djhavek

Jan 8, 2004, 8:54 PM
cellconn said:
are all sprint users retarded? maybe that statement was too advanced for those that feel sprint has a better network.

Well of course most sprint users aren't very bright. The same people that have $750 deposits through us (cingular) are the ones that turn around and go to sprint because they won't have to pay nearly anything to get a sprint phone, even though their credit is shot. I see a lot of this, day in and day out. These people stop by the nextel kiosk, run their credit, then to AT&T, then to us...all the while not realizing they are hurting their credit by doing this.
Then, when I tell them they need to put down $500 or $750 per line, they look at me and go "AAAW NAWWW I AINT PAYI...
(continues)
djhavek

Jan 8, 2004, 8:56 PM
P.S.- I just realize how funny that sounds now that I read back my post...however the quote I posted was just that...an actual quote from earlier this week.
95mike

Jan 9, 2004, 2:06 PM
That is pretty funny. I sold sprint for 3 years and that pretty much sums up 90% of their customers. The main problem that I found was that over time I started encountering a growing amount of people that had already done Sprint and owe them money.
biggamike

Jan 19, 2004, 11:09 AM
I find your generalizations quite humorous. While I don't agree with many of Sprint's policies they have been a great company for me. I've sold for most of the US carriers and all of them have their share of customers with extra chromosomes. The one thing that can't be denied is that Sprint's data network is unmatched to date. Why do you think Verizon is spending $2 billion to upgrade theirs. There have been months where I'll sell 100+ PDA's and connections cards for Sprint. Their cell coverage is flawed, but so is everyone else's.
jessalyn

Oct 28, 2003, 5:41 PM
I find that Verizon works the best in my area.. and in most areas that I've been to.. 🙄
Winsome

Oct 24, 2003, 12:09 AM
Big Poppa,

I am not sure where you are, statewise, but the sprint stores down here they do not have technicians in their stores. I am in Philly and I live near 3 sprint retail stores, but if I have a problem with my phone I have to go to the technician site. Also, they make you pay a fee if you walk in store to pay your bill. I pay mines online though.
How did you find their customer service...I find that I have to wait a long time to get a rep and they are not open 24hours a day like Verizon.

But you are correct in saying each has their good points and their bad points.
and yes sprint has a great selection of phones.
Big Poppa

Oct 24, 2003, 12:01 PM
I am from Tennessee, and used to work for Sprint PCS customer care.. Most Sprint Stores Do have Techs. Your store must be Sales only stores..
And Remember this when mking payments with Sprint. The only time they charge you to make a payment is when you have a LIVE person process it.. They do not charge for payments through ANY automated service, ex. the Payment Machines usually located in thier stores it accepets cash & check, online payments, & *3.
Winsome

Oct 24, 2003, 8:06 PM
Big Poppa!! 😁 😁 😁

So you work for Verizon now, which do you prefer??
Big Poppa

Oct 25, 2003, 7:20 AM
I like working for Verizon better.. I get more money 😁
Winsome

Oct 25, 2003, 9:07 AM
Ok, We see that......but what I am talking about who gives better service in your opinion...or who do you have service provider by and why? 😉
Big Poppa

Oct 25, 2003, 1:51 PM
Well I have a Sprint PCS Sanyo 5300, and since it was such a expensive phone, and that I'm still under contract, I have not gotten a Verizon phone.. I can't honestly say which company has better "coverage service" becuase I have not used a Verizon phone yet. I hear they are just as good as Sprint PCS were I like, and cover more areas of Tennessee Than Sprint does..
Another reason I have not changed is becuase of my plan with Sprint.. I know I can get a Cheap Employee plan with Verizon but it doesnt give me the same options like, Unlimited Mobile 2 Mobile and unlimited data access, and a second phone to share my minutes for free.
I do plan on getting a VZW phone sometme just as a second phone.. I will probably put it on the $5 employee pla...
(continues)
Screwball

Oct 26, 2003, 11:46 AM
Verizon is a lot better than sprint for coverage and customer service. I have both and prefer Verizon.
LGfan

Oct 26, 2003, 5:57 PM
(by screwball)Verizon is a lot better than sprint for coverage and customer service. I have both and prefer Verizon.

that is not all sprint has the largest coverage area. sprint has better phones(3 camera phones) better web(vision for $15 a month unlimited no minutes used)
brodfukker

Oct 28, 2003, 1:07 PM
depends on what you value more & how much coverage you need...

I have both and each has its benefits...I'm sure everybody has already pointed out the pros & cons to you but I have features/services of each that keep me a customer of both. If you want to hear my reasons just let me know. But I'll probably stay with both for awhile - I've carried 2 phones for so long now that I would probably feel off with just one... Good luck! 😁
Juice

Oct 30, 2003, 5:58 PM
For overall coverage Verizon has the better nationwide network but Sprint consistently offers new phones with more features a lot quicker than Verizon.
mcfadonna

Oct 30, 2003, 7:08 PM
you guys need to get youre facts strait. Verizon has more coverage but this is due to the fact Verizon still has a lot of analog towers in areas where they dont have digital towers. Sprint has the largest ALL DIGITAL coverage. there is a difference. Sprint says they have the largest all digital network and they do. Verizon has more coverage but that coverage includes the analog towers. Verizons network doesnt work the same every where in the states. Sprint on the other hand if you are on the pcs network anywhere in the nation it works the same!
mcunion

Jan 23, 2004, 8:37 PM
i would agree that each carrier has its pros and cons. however, i have been a sprint customer for five and a half years and i plan to switch to verizon when my contract expires next week. sure, sprint has cooler phones, more service options for your money, and stellar online services, but here's some food for thought. i would imagine that the reason verizon's phone are not as cutting edge as any other major carrier is because verizon takes more time to test their phones, and is pickier in general, which is why their service is better and their phones last forever. i've had 5 phone with sprint, ranging in lifespan from 2 months to a year and a half. i have a friend who's used the same verizon phone for 5 years. next, sprint might be che...
(continues)
BegToDiffer

Feb 3, 2004, 10:25 PM
In case someone hasn't responded (and if they have, sorry for wasting the space). To get technical: GSM is a variant of TDMA. TDMA transmits digital signal by breaking down the signal in segments of time and transmitting them through the system. Typically, a TDMA system can hold approximately 3-5 calls per channel (a typical cell tower holds 430 or so channels on the 'a' side and the same on the 'b' side - different carriers use different 'sides' so that their signals don't interfere with each other). GSM holds roughly 5-7 while CMDA holds 7-10 (CDMA breaks signal down by assigning different codes to each channel instead of time segments). Thus, a CDMA tower can hold more calls at the same time than a GSM. This helps reduce dropped calls and...
(continues)
eddie

Feb 5, 2004, 10:43 AM
My thanks, your message here is very intelligent smack dab correct, as far as I am concerned. You gave all the right info.

Good job
goldo

Mar 4, 2004, 12:43 PM
Sprint works well if you never require customer support. Their Customer Support is notorious for being one of the worst in the industry while Verizon has the best.
sofolo

Mar 4, 2004, 1:52 PM
get us cellular.....if you can't get it in your area.......MOVE!!!!

actually.....if you can't get us cellular i would go with verizon.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.