Phone Scoop

printed September 1, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=3&fi=4211

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

Back to message list

Top message:  What do think of this? A maybe? by Chapperal   Nov 16, 2003, 8:23 PM

Replying to:  Re: What do think of this? A maybe? by cellhound   Nov 19, 2003, 1:31 PM

Re: What do think of this? A maybe?

by Rich Brome (Moderator)    Nov 20, 2003, 9:47 AM

cellhound said:
i can't see all 3 maybe AWS may buy t-mobile. or hell the way its going now maybe the other way around. maybe t-mob and Cing may buy AWS and split it. who knows

I agree. Consolidation is overdue, and those are all possibilities. In fact, all the analysts agree that it's been overdue for years.

The thing holding it back seems to be the international stakeholders. Few of them are truly independent companies. T-Mobile is of course owned by Deutsche Telekom. Verizon Wireless is partly owned by Vodafone. Cingular is owned by SBC and BellSouth. And AT&T NTT DoCoMo holds a stake in AT&T Wireless...

Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone, and NTT DoCoMo are all determined to be global players, and see their investments as their presence in the U.S. market. T-Mobile, in particular, would have been bought out long ago (back when it was VoiceStream) if Deutsche Telekom weren't so determined to establish their T-Mobile brand here. It's partly about corporate egos. Rolling Eyes

now the Phone makers won't like it though because they make so many models of the same phone. like the NOKIA 3586i,3588 and 3589. so that would be theri loss. but like i said who knows. Confused

Shocked Hardly! Nokia loathes having to make so many models! It's segmentation, and it makes the market much more costly and risky for them. The carriers are demanding exclusive and customized phone models, and the big manufacturers like Nokia are doing it very reluctantly. Nokia would have much more control over the market, and save a lot of money, if they could sell the same models to all of the carriers.

Of course, that's more of an issue in the CDMA market, but it's happening now in GSM, too. Just look at the Samsung SGH-426 and SGH-427... Rolling Eyes

Report to moderator

Replies

No replies to this message

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.