Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 7 replies

CDM-8900 just discontinued by VZW

dilbert

Apr 19, 2004, 11:24 AM
Last week in Orlando the 8900 was discounted to $29. It has now been discontinued. It has even been taken off the web site. The strange thing is that it is still being sold in other parts of the country (I checked an Ohio zip code).

Does this mean something else is coming? I can't imagine that VZW would be down to only two (aging) picture phones for long. It also seems strange that there are no Audiovox phones being sold down here.
The Alchemist

Apr 19, 2004, 11:44 PM
Well, the 9900 is on it's way within the next 1-2 months. They're probably just making room. The same reason they're moving the T730's out, to make room for the v810's.
VZW agent

Apr 21, 2004, 1:20 PM
the 8900 is one of the best selling phones in my store. we literally cannot keep them in stock. i just checked on this with VSW customer service. it is NOT being discontinued. the lg vx3100 is though, along with the motorola 120e. old news with this, but the lg 4400 was also discontinued and the 4600 was released as a replacement.
skaras

Apr 23, 2004, 7:32 AM
That's bad news for the 4400 because only NEW!! customers can get the 4600, I've been jerked around for 4 days on that effort.
Fonedoc

May 2, 2004, 9:29 PM
It's not discontinued. It's a promo phone right now.
GWFOX

May 3, 2004, 12:35 PM
To be honest I do not think that it is strange the phone was discontinued in your area. Honestly a company can decide if its product is not selling in an area and stop carrying it.

Up here in the NorthEast area the audiovox 8900 is still selling. There is plenty of stock in it between our stores and the direct VZW stores. The 8900 also sells for $169.95 here before rebate.

In fact the verizonwireless.com website has the cdm-8900 on the front page as a buy one get one free promo.

What is pretty damn funny is that I have yet to sell a CDM-8900 out of my current store. I show them to the customers and they have all liked the lg-vx6000. Go figure. Customers are weird.
muchdrama

May 4, 2004, 8:36 AM
GWFOX said:
I show them to the customers and they have all liked the lg-vx6000. Go figure. Customers are weird.

I think they've all read that issue of Consumer Reports about the 6000.
SPCSVZWJeff

May 4, 2004, 6:58 PM
The CDM 8900 is still available at many dealers. The reason it is so popular is that it is VZW's only camera phone that can use analog service. While this may mean little to people in urban areas it is important to rural customers because much rural area is covered in only analog. When we set a customer up with VZW we are careful to learn where specifically they will use the phone so we can get them a phone which will not be a frustration. The 8900 is a good phone for rural and border markets where there is still only analog service.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.