Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 15 replies

Merger rumor

CCphoneguru

Apr 2, 2004, 8:07 PM
Anyone heard anything about a possible rumor with T-mobile and Sprint merging? I hate rumors, and I wanted to Separate fact from fiction. To me, it doesn't make any sense, but crazier things have happened.
Big Daddy

Apr 2, 2004, 10:12 PM
There is no way they would merge. 2 different types of technologies
mright123

Apr 3, 2004, 11:44 AM
🙂 I also a agree that it is pretty far-fetched. BUT one could change technologies or offer a seperate type of tech for a diff clientele. 😳 I mean think of the profitability in offering BOTH a CDMA AND GSM service. Altho your phones would not work between techs it would give them a tactical advantage in so much as to access to new services. 😁
MW2

Apr 3, 2004, 3:06 PM
so far the strongest rumor atm with sprint is the possibility of nextel purchasing sprint not t-mo purchasing sprint.

nextel is in dire need to rid itself of it's iden tech & spectrum and is looking to go cdma, though this has been discussed in a previous thread.
muchdrama

Apr 3, 2004, 6:04 PM
Actually, as we speak, Nextel is currently running tests with CDMA equipment. IF they were to switch over to CDMA entirely (a very strong possibility), they would make themselves very desirable to Verizon. Verizon has alluded to their interest in Verizon...as well as Alltel. ;)
muchdrama

Apr 3, 2004, 6:06 PM
muchdrama said:
Actually, as we speak, Nextel is currently running tests with CDMA equipment. IF they were to switch over to CDMA entirely (a very strong possibility), they would make themselves very desirable to Verizon. Verizon has alluded to their interest in Verizon...as well as Alltel. ;)

Whoops! Alluded to their interest in NEXTEL as well as Alltel.
MW2

Apr 3, 2004, 7:16 PM
yeah vzw would kill to get nextel's customer's (esp. with their high arpu).

though it doesn't rule out nextel's possible interest with sprint.
Manwithastick

Apr 4, 2004, 4:40 PM
T-mobile wont be buying anyone out or be bought out anytime soon. Duetchland Telecom bought them 3 years ago and in that amount of time T-mo as gone from 6 million to 13.1 million customers. Duetchland is only interested in making there money back at the moment and T-mo is doing that very well at the moment!
urboyJ

Apr 7, 2004, 1:27 AM
I WISH EVERYDAY VERIZON WOULD BUY OUT ALLTEL AND IMPLEMENT ALLTEL'S PTT SERVICE WITH VERIZON.
GWFOX

Apr 8, 2004, 9:11 AM
The smartest thing would to be to see if/when Nextel does go CDMA AND perfect their 2-way feature like they have done so on IDEN. The entire basis of Nextel is that near-perfect IDEN 2-way system... Which would be different in CDMA IMHO.

The next logical step for VZW would to attempt to buy out Nextel, assimilate the 2-way feature and replace their current 2-way system. This would give them customer base, best 2-way feature and so forth.

Again, rumors.. rumors...
muchdrama

Apr 9, 2004, 12:38 PM
GWFOX said:
The smartest thing would to be to see if/when Nextel does go CDMA AND perfect their 2-way feature like they have done so on IDEN. The entire basis of Nextel is that near-perfect IDEN 2-way system... Which would be different in CDMA IMHO.

The next logical step for VZW would to attempt to buy out Nextel, assimilate the 2-way feature and replace their current 2-way system. This would give them customer base, best 2-way feature and so forth.

Again, rumors.. rumors...

Right now Nextel owns the rights to Q-chat...a CDMA push to talk solution perfected by Qualcomm. It's considered to be the best push to talk option for CDMA operators. This has forced both Verizon and Sprint to use inferior pus...
(continues)
SPCSVZWJeff

Apr 28, 2004, 4:09 PM
Sprint just combined the FON and PCS tracking stocks to keep from being bought out. Now it would require buying the whole company. Nextel doesn't have that kind of money.

If you want a wild rumor how about AT&T (the parent company) buying Cingular after they buy ATTWS. It is no secret that AT&T wants to be in the wireless game and that this buyout will have a very negative impact on Bell South and SBC's bottom line and stock price. AT&T would then have the tickets they were looking for when they bought into wireless.
muchdrama

Apr 28, 2004, 10:46 PM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
Sprint just combined the FON and PCS tracking stocks to keep from being bought out. Now it would require buying the whole company. Nextel doesn't have that kind of money.

If you want a wild rumor how about AT&T (the parent company) buying Cingular after they buy ATTWS. It is no secret that AT&T wants to be in the wireless game and that this buyout will have a very negative impact on Bell South and SBC's bottom line and stock price. AT&T would then have the tickets they were looking for when they bought into wireless.

OoooOOOOOOOOOooooooo...that's downright conspiratorial!
Rich Brome

Apr 7, 2004, 11:18 AM
I'd say T-Mobile / Sprint is one of the least likely merger scenarios.

My bet is on the next merger involving two CDMA carriers, or a CDMA carrier and Nextel.
vzwpro

Apr 7, 2004, 1:50 PM
Its hard to say when it comes to a merger with Sprint because any merger would require purchase of the entire company now that they are combining again.
muchdrama

Apr 7, 2004, 2:37 PM
I'm telling you...keep your eye on a possible Verizon buyout of Alltel, a possible Verizon buyout of Nextel, or a possible Nextel buyout of Sprint. 😉

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.