Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 10 replies

What Is It About The Cellular Industry?

maxspeed

Mar 10, 2004, 12:27 AM
Why does everyone want everything for nothing? We love our phones, our mobility, our instant information and communicaztion. But we want to pay next to nothing for the service and want our equipment for free? Can you imagine where the computer industry would be if people felt that way about their computers?
moobak

Mar 10, 2004, 1:28 AM
Its a little bit more complicated. Wireless providers actually did it to themselves by subsidizing phones outfront for new customers, and then shafting them afterwards with not as great discounts (since they're already locked into contracts).
jhmlbrgr

Mar 10, 2004, 8:21 PM
Not all companies give bigger discounts to new customers. VZW provides the subsidized pricing to all of its customers, new and upgrading, and if you are on a two year pricing plan that costs $34.99/ month or higher you get a $100.00 credit toward the purchase of a new phone after completing 22 months of the contract.
Sleeping

Mar 10, 2004, 11:16 PM
I don't think its necessarily just the phone pricing that customers try to get for nothing, its everything. They want credits for usage that they legitimately used, either because they don't know how to control their usage or felt that the coverage map doesn't apply to them.

If we're giving someone a cheap phone, or unnecessary credit, companies need to know that they aren't going to take it and run. Hence, contract for discount.
fongoddess

Mar 11, 2004, 7:45 PM
Psst...you forgot to mention that the customer has to sign ANOTHER 2 year contract to get that deal. "new every two" baby. A 4 year contract for a $100 discount. 😁

I hope that didn't sound like I was knocking Verizon, I love them.

I think that customers were wanting something for nothing (and still do) but with the addition of the camera on phones now, I've seen an increase in their willingness to spend more.
jhmlbrgr

Mar 15, 2004, 8:26 AM
fongoddess said:
Psst...you forgot to mention that the customer has to sign ANOTHER 2 year contract to get that deal. "new every two" baby. A 4 year contract for a $100 discount. 😁

I hope that didn't sound like I was knocking Verizon, I love them.

I think that customers were wanting something for nothing (and still do) but with the addition of the camera on phones now, I've seen an increase in their willingness to spend more.

Uhh, yeah you have to sign another contract, do you expect a new phone for free without a contract??? But once again you get another 100.00 dollar credit at the end of your second contract. Essentially with VZW you could never have to purchase a phone after you purcha...
(continues)
badspawn

Mar 16, 2004, 1:10 AM
Oh well this is so true....

What Is It About The Cellular Industry?

by maxspeed Mar 10, 2004, 12:27 AM

Why does everyone want everything for nothing? We love our phones, our mobility, our instant information and communicaztion. But we want to pay next to nothing for the service and want our equipment for free? Can you imagine where the computer industry would be if people felt that way about their computers?

Dude the reason is that people are lazy bums that want want want but expect it for nothing. LAZY BUMS PEOPLE LAZY BUMS....
jukebox2

Mar 16, 2004, 8:39 AM
I would keep one thing in mind that the LAZY BUMS you refer to keep the cellular business going. Even though you feel the world is trying to get everything for nothing their are people that do pay their bills hence keep the doors open.
rcadden

Mar 22, 2004, 1:00 AM
The thing is that they made the mistake of starting out with subsidized stuff. Had they not ever subsidized stuff, it would be the same environment as the computer industry. But that would be a bad thing, given that the average PC owner only updates every 4-5 years, while the average cell phone customer averages 2-2.5. Another reason is that Americans are so incredibly in debt. The reason that the Asian markets get the best stuff first is because those people save 60% of their paychecks, and they are willing to pay for their toys. Americans just charge it.
goodholly

Mar 29, 2004, 12:51 PM
people call in all the time wanting credits for overages in minutes they say "there is no way i used that many minutes" ugghhh!!! I wold never even THINK of calling my gas company or my electric company and saying " i didnt use that much electricity this month, there is just no way, give me a credit!" i am beginning to think that the cellular industry is the only "utility" that does this! do all wireless companies issue tons of credits for this? or is it just me?
ripley

Mar 29, 2004, 6:57 PM
goodholly said:
people call in all the time wanting credits for overages in minutes they say "there is no way i used that many minutes" ugghhh!!! I wold never even THINK of calling my gas company or my electric company and saying " i didnt use that much electricity this month, there is just no way, give me a credit!" i am beginning to think that the cellular industry is the only "utility" that does this! do all wireless companies issue tons of credits for this? or is it just me?

thats exactly how i feel. some people have no shame though

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.