Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Attn: Gagirl, I do like reading your editorials

Chapperal

Nov 8, 2003, 12:02 PM
You do know what you are talking about!
I am currently a ATTWS customer, and my contract expired months ago. One of the reasons I haven't jumped to verizon, it's their phones.
I wish they had a bigger selection of Nokia phones. I ahve been to the local verizon store several times, and their current look and probably perform okay. But they feel like toys.
I have had Nokia's since "1996", and no matter how many times I have dropped them they always work! Is there a reason why Nokia does not provide verizon with a larger selection of avail choices?
Thanks.
Big Poppa

Nov 8, 2003, 2:36 PM
I'll answer the Nokia question for you..

Nokia primarily makes GSM phones.. They really didn't know how to do to much with CDMA. When Sprint had CDMA Nokia phone back in the old days, they wouldn't last to long. Lots of times they would drop every call after about 10 seconds, They could never fix the problems with have OTA PRL updates or activations Fixed, (OTA update or OTA Activations would fry the phone). So basically Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless pretty much discontinued relations with Nokia untill they decided to correct these problems with their CDMA hardware.
qagirl

Nov 9, 2003, 12:54 PM
Actually, the reason VZW shyed away from Nokia for a while was because of software compatibility issues. VZW mandates that all phones we carry have certain items in the menus, Brew capability, Get It Now capability, etc. The phones we carry must be personalized to our network. For a while Nokia was not able to do that with many of their handsets. If we were to have carried Nokias they would not have come with many of our company specific features.

It is not because Nokia was going GSM. This is proven untrue by the many Nokia phones the other carriers are currently selling that are not GSM.

Another reason VZW has not historically carried many Nokias is that for a while VZW was on a strong push for clamshell phones. Nokia has bra...
(continues)
Big Poppa

Nov 10, 2003, 4:50 PM
Technically it had nothing to do with features. There phone just plain out didn't work properly on CDMA. Nokia was not too expereinced in the CDMA area... It had NOTHING to do with "Get It Now" or BREW. Neither of those were around when we stopped carrying Nokias.
qagirl

Nov 12, 2003, 7:32 PM
Yes they were around when we stopped carrying Nokias. These products were being pushed heavily by the developers, and after we realized the success in the handsets that had these capabilities, we decided to require these features and software specs in the handsets we carried. Nokia could not work out compatibility issues. That is one very significant reason we stopped carrying so many. The other reason, as I stated before, was the direction VZW opted to take with clamshell phones. Nokia does not produce as many CDMA models as other carriers do, but the CDMA models the do make work perfectly well on CDMA networks.
Big Poppa

Nov 13, 2003, 5:41 PM
I think you are wrong in saying that their older handsets had no problems working on CDMA network.. Nokia during that time have very limited knowledge of CDMA becuase they were primarily a GSM chip maker. They threw together a CDMA chipset, which really did not work well. At first they worked "Ok" but then that changed. I have heard horror stories on older CDMa nokia handests dropping calls every 12 seconds after the send button was pressed. I have even had a customer with that issue, and I felt so sorry for here, I credited her account for a new phone, free. I even tested that issue with her by placing calls to her handset, and then it dropping exactly 12 second after it connected. This was not a Sprint Network issue, becuase NO other hand...
(continues)
qagirl

Nov 9, 2003, 1:01 PM
And as for the reports with OTA and programming difficulties, these blanket statements are unsubstantiated. I carried many Nokias on the old PrimeCo CDMA network with no trouble, and Nokia had no more software issues than any other handset back then, except the the 6185. It was a all-around piece of junk.
Chapperal

Nov 9, 2003, 7:14 PM
Hi again. I'm still an ATTWS customer. Ny contract expired three months ago. I want to jump to vzw sometime after Nov. 24. I have had Nokia's for about 7 years, and they are very durable. Even the newest vzw phones feel cheaply made. I now have time on my side, I will wait until vzw has more Nokia's in their line up. As a ATTWS customer, as long as I have their TDMA service available here, I don't need to jump ship.
I think what is funny that according to ATTWS, I shouldn't have great TDMA coverage where I live but I do.
If ATTWS were to buy out cingular and/or T-Mobile I would then have GSM available to me.
Hasn't vzw figured out yet that most of the world loves Nokia phones. And they are #1 handset maker in the world?
(continues)
Big Poppa

Nov 10, 2003, 4:53 PM
You are wrong on that one gagirl.. I know why working for Sprint PCS that this nokias were getting fried when attempting to do PRL updates OTA... thats why Sprint PCs no longer offers any real support for thier older Nokia's, They would much rather give an old customer that has one of these old nokia a free phone or something just to get rid of those old nokias... So I know for a fact it is true.. May have not been that big with Verizon, but it was with Sprint.
Big Poppa

Nov 10, 2003, 4:55 PM
And on top of that Sprint has Warning messages for the reps on thier equipment info page on their intranet that said "DO NOT PERFORM OTA UPDATES ON THESE HANDSETS, AS IT WILL FRY THE PHONE"
qagirl

Nov 12, 2003, 7:34 PM
Sounds like a Sprint problem, not Nokia. VZW hasn't incurred issues like that on our network, and we never had the need for warning labels like that.
Big Poppa

Nov 13, 2003, 11:33 AM
It was a nokia Problem...Someone stated once on here that it was the cdma chipset.. since nokia had no real experience in cdma and they tried using thier own chipset instead of a qualcomm chipset.. it was just horrible... And I belive it was for the SAME reasons for both companies as to why they ahve not carried nokia in a while.. Kinda weird that they would BOTH start carring them again about the SAME time.
verizonvx4400jd

Nov 16, 2003, 4:38 PM
I understand that you like your nokia but try somthning eles, somthin that is different like the LG VX4400 its a GREAT phone!
Chapperal

Nov 16, 2003, 6:40 PM
I went down to the verizon store in Gainesville, Fl..(32614) I was checking out the samsung 530 is this phone any good(sound quality and reception)?
I also found out that by living in Gainesville, Fl. phonenumber portability probably won't be in this area until May. Because we aren't part of the top 100 metro area.
Rumor has it that USCelluar was taken over at the above zipcode by ATTWS. But the service is still "listed" as USCelluar. Does anybody have any info wheather it will become official, it will that this area will part of ATTWS coverage area?
I know I should of gone on the rumors forum, but while I was here I figured I'd ask the question anyway.
Thanks!
Chapperal

Nov 16, 2003, 6:47 PM
I didn't realize I was already in the rumor forum. My bad. 🤭

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.