Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

Building your own cellular?!

mright123

Mar 6, 2004, 5:35 PM
I was reading an article on some website about people who wanted to build their own cell phones and such. Is that possible?

I don't mean so much as in "can it be done?"... Because I am sure that if one has access to the various parts that they could BUT are there rules about such things? Do they HAVE to be regulated? If anyone has any info please respond.

Larry
Sleeping

Mar 6, 2004, 10:26 PM
Well, I heard of one guy modding a GSM phone to have an old anaolog phone for the case...

I think just by the very nature of it there aren't any standards, kind of like if you're building your own computer, you can put whatever you want into it, but no one's going to guarantee that it'll work.
annetagonist

Mar 7, 2004, 5:59 PM
Actually there are standards. Check out the FCC's website for mobile devices. There are RF and amplification standards for mobile devices just like there are for televisions, radios, walkie talkies, etc.
moobak

Mar 10, 2004, 1:33 AM
Exactly, its basically illegal to tap into any broadcasting system whatsoever without contacting the FCC first.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.