Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 10 replies

WIFI CHARGER

margretlover

Mar 18, 2010, 2:27 PM
I was told by someone at work, that a charger was coming out for all phones that allowed it to pick up wifi in surrounding areas and charge the phones battery with that. Personally I think this is very cool, but I can't quite believe its true.
runnback33

Mar 23, 2010, 3:25 PM
i personally think they should do that with just the battery put an end to the chargers.
Amarantamin

Mar 23, 2010, 3:59 PM
WiFi networks only transfer data, not power or energy. You can't wirelessly charge a device, there must be a hard connection; besides, how much battery power would it take for said charger to pick up on and connect to a WiFi network? The amount of energy used to establish such a connection would likely negate any charge the phone might be recieving (assuming wireless energy transfer was possible).
Knightlyjay

Mar 29, 2010, 5:15 AM
Hey,
Have you seen the inductance chargers that the folks at Touchstone market? You know, for use in the Palm Pixie and Pre? No hard connection there. It takes longer as the energy transfer isn't as efficient, but look Mom, no wires!
Pek

Mar 24, 2010, 9:08 AM
Nokia is developing a battery that will be able to harvest ambient radio waves to charge itself. Currently they can only draw about 5 miliwatts, their goal it to be able to harvest 50. Combined with the piezoelectric kinetic energy harvester Nokia is also developing we may see phones that never require charging as soon as 2014.
WernerCD

Mar 26, 2010, 6:02 PM
We are also only a few years away from flying hover cars, bionic people, test tube body parts and a cure for the common cold.

Stay tuned.
WernerCD

Mar 26, 2010, 6:00 PM
... it probably is.

While wire-less charging *IS* catching on...
Motion-based charging is also catching on...

I personally doubt that there is enough juice in the airwaves to keep a phone charged.
madmatg

Mar 27, 2010, 8:32 PM
Look up Tesla world fair, he did light a light bulb wirelessly 50 or so years ago, it is possible just horribly inefficient at the moment.
Amarantamin

Mar 28, 2010, 2:39 PM
That works by blasting energy (forgive my lack of technical terms) through the air in straight beams. Beyond requiring bulky machines to set-up and get it going, its dangerous for a human to stand unprotected in the rays for extended periods. Also, this is not a broadcast, it is more of a directed shot at an object; a compatible phone would have to be directly in the line of the beam to gather any charge.

Oh, also, a lightbulb takes significantly less electricity to light than a phone requires to charge and function. The rays are dangerous on the light-bulb lighting strength, and would be much worse on cellphone-charging strength.
Knightlyjay

Mar 29, 2010, 5:12 AM
To Amarantamin: Did you ever take any classes in physics, or electricity? or anything? The typical cellphone charger supplies 5 volts at 300 milliamps. If you do the math, you'll see this is 1.5 watts of usage. What wattage is the incandescent light bulb typically? 60 or so.
Knightlyjay

Mar 29, 2010, 5:12 AM
Margaret

https://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=5360 »

The folks at Rca are working on a charger that will harvest the excess energy from wifi and possibly other EM emissions in the environment. Is this something that will work well in someone's home? Probably not, but in a busy urban environment, you might be able to get decent energy recovery.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.