Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Carrier must match plan rates?

up4achallenge

Nov 5, 2009, 2:45 AM
Hello,

I recently read in an article, I can no longer find online, that in California the Public Utility Commission has ruled that a cell phone provider must offer a customer a rate that it provides another customer (even a corporate one with a negotiated discount)if the customer provides the provider with the cell account number. Does anyone know anything about this? I would like to get a better rate on my Iphone. I have a friend who works for Coca Cola and he gets 20% off of his cell service. I have called AT&T and of course they say they have heard nothing about this. But I just read it was mandated in an article on AOL but can no longer find the article.

Anyone know anything about this?
banhammer

Nov 5, 2009, 2:04 PM
i was about to respond "post the article" but then I reread your post. We really need to know the specifics.

And then, if it's true, we really need a map to california.
Azeron

Nov 21, 2009, 5:25 PM
I know that is real. It might be worth getting a UPS (Mail Box Etc...) Address in Cali.
brandtz

Nov 9, 2009, 7:46 PM
why in any world would this be a real thing? Even if it were, (as absurd a thought as that is) no doubht it would be all over the internet and it would be easily available to review off both the California PUC website as well as a quick google search.

This is nothing more then a joke.
thickjake

Nov 15, 2009, 4:39 PM
no
ecycled

Nov 16, 2009, 2:08 PM
Send this txt msg to 10 ppl and your carrier will give you a $60 bill credit. This is a network test. Thank you for your participation.

----If you believe that I have ocean front property in Arizona to sell you too.----
viper27

Nov 16, 2009, 8:07 PM
thats great ecycled!!!!
viper27

Nov 16, 2009, 8:10 PM
and becides if he read it on the internet it HAS to be true!!!(said as sarcastically as possible)
famoussasjohn

Dec 2, 2009, 4:01 PM
so what would be the point of having a exclusive discount through your employer if you can just walk in saying "my friend has this discount, i want it on my account now please" and they just give it to you. i mean really? what world do you live in?
crood

Jan 4, 2010, 11:18 AM
Exactly, if such a ruling did occur, the providers would simply end corporate discounts.
wade496

Dec 17, 2009, 8:27 PM
You are getting the same base rate they will not give you a corporate discount if you are not related to the other customer by marriage. The rate is comparable to your rate without the discount. That really was a pretty absurd question. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
RavenSkyhawk

Dec 22, 2009, 5:57 PM
In all seriousness I did do some research on my end of the business and back in the late 80's early 90's when cell phone providers would charge different price plans in different locations (called markets), california required that just because someone lived in california their price plan shouldn't cost more. This is true, but no longer applies as every major carrier now has the same price for services across the country.
And before anyone gets upset about how carriers charge for services, what was happening was lowered income area were getting reduced cost for services (ie $0.05 per minute instead of $0.10 per minute).
crood

Jan 4, 2010, 11:25 AM
Such pricing schemes actually make sense. For example, gasoline usually costs more in higher income neighborhoods, when compared to nearby lower income areas.

This mainly has to due with differences in rent, taxes, etc.
a1zoomer

Jan 12, 2010, 6:45 PM
Have you loked into the mrv.globalverge.com site. Their plans seem to be fair and it is a MLM (multi level marketing) system. I'm trying it. I hope to make some cash with it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.