Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 15 replies

Android for AT&T Anytime Soon?

Cleindian44

Nov 12, 2009, 9:37 PM
I'm in the market for a new phone as my contract with AT&T has been up for a little while now.

I played with two Android based phones last night (the HTC Hero and Motorola Droid). Both were nice! However, switching to another carrier offers no advantage for me as monthly costs would be similar and I know few people that have service on competing networks.

Does anyone have any info on whether or not AT&T has an Android phone coming to the market within the next year?

Thanks!
payurbill

Nov 14, 2009, 9:46 PM
look at t-mobile they have the most android phones to pick from with more to come like the beholdII . and rate plans are usually half of at&t..just hope they have service in your area
Cleindian44

Nov 16, 2009, 11:55 PM
Payurbill, T-Mobile does operate in my area (Mississippi), but their system map is pretty crappy as far as coverage.

I wanted to stay with AT&T as they are the largest and oldest carrier in my area. As a result, most of the people I know that I talk to are on this network (meaning unlimited mobile to mobile calls). I travel a lot on my job, so a large carrier like AT& T (or T-Mobile) is a must. Switching to T-Mobile would cause me to have to separate my phone coverage from my wife's though.

I think I'll look at T-Mobile's coverage map again.
payurbill

Nov 17, 2009, 6:02 PM
well i think u can get tmobile android unlock and use it on AT&T ... well at least i know u can unlock iphone and other phones and use it on tmobile which allow iphone user to do MMS long before at&t allowed them to
Azeron

Nov 21, 2009, 3:41 AM
T-Mobile's 3G would not work on AT&T however. T-Mobile uses AWS (1700/2100) for 3G.
payurbill

Nov 21, 2009, 11:31 AM
i know that but wasnt talking bout 3g
txsprintrep

Dec 16, 2009, 8:09 PM
Try sprint.....depending on where you work your bill should be a bit cheaper especially if you are eligible for a IL employee discount. I own a HTC hero and it is solid. Very quick, the android mixed with sense UI. I mean one line 450 anytime nights start at 7 no extra charge weekends free. unlimited text and data, gps navigation, any mobile any time (allows you to call any mobile device reguardless the carrier when in sprint network area for free). For 69.99 a month of course with 7 insurance if your smart. Then depending on your job you can get a 8-27 percent discount off the top of your bill which will cover taxes for sure sometimes taxes and a bit of insurance. I hope this helps 😁
Menno

Nov 15, 2009, 2:42 PM
You might get one as early as next year.. but who knows what it will be like.

If you're lucky, you might get the Xperia by sony, but att is still in love with the iphone, so who knows if they will be willing to drop millions of dollars into a device that will compete directly with the main draw to their network.
Cleindian44

Nov 16, 2009, 11:31 PM
I guess I can understand the competition between the iPhone and an Android based phone, but I understood that Apple was seeking to terminate its exclusive contract with AT&T early. If that's the case, if I was AT&T, then it's Game On."

I've seen the articles about a rumored Dell Android phone to possibly be introduced on AT&T's network. I've also seen that HTC 'hs Hero is a GSM phone in other parts of the world.

I like the iPhone, but I want to be different from my wife (who has one) while staying on the AT&T network. Guess I'll see what 2010 has to offer.
Azeron

Nov 21, 2009, 3:43 AM
You could always buy an unlocked Android phone.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hey-att-users-buy-unlo ... »
ATTREP541

Nov 28, 2009, 1:36 PM
word on the street is the Dell Mini 3i is coming to at&t in 2010. While this is just speculation it has been reported by quite a few sites. (Google search) I hope that at&t comes out with an android that kills all others since it is coming into the game so late.
thickjake

Nov 15, 2009, 4:37 PM
the main issue is AT&T and Googles dispute over net-neutrality. I know, this has nothing to do with handsets but the two are not happy with each other.
AT&T has gone as far as to ask their people not to use Google web browser.

but- You will see an andriod device from one of the handset OEMs in the near future.
Azeron

Nov 21, 2009, 5:23 PM
Men don't act like that. I'm not going to allow a dispute with someone or the fact that I don't care for a person to stand in the way of me making money. Who runs their business like that? There is money to be made and I need your help to make it. Sure I hate your guts, but we are going to shake hands and go get this money.
IBoss1977

Dec 3, 2009, 6:19 PM
I do not believe at&t will ever allow a open source system on there network. But they have the iphone so no need to compete with Verizon. But once that Iphone goes to the BIG BAD VERIZON.... they will need some upper hand... and im sorry but at&t has some kiddie phones that are cool for 10th graders but as for myself... I need a droid... if not I will go with a Iphone... but if the iphone happens to be on a better network like verizons...then im gone...
Chromemember

Dec 3, 2009, 6:27 PM
It's good a lot of your beliefs are not worth anything, AT&T will have the HTC Hero 1Q next year.
Azeron

Dec 3, 2009, 7:52 PM
Source? Could you please provide a link?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.