Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Number Portability....Not what it seems...

IIXxRaVeNxXII

Nov 6, 2003, 6:14 PM
Working for ATTWS WEX Department...people are all scared that we are going to lose customers to this number portability, but what people really don't know is that the only companies(if you have digital) that you are able to go to is Cingular(since they are the only ones that have TDMA) or Suncom(but then again, that is just coming back to us... 😉

So, really the most phones that should even think of transferring are GSM.....but I haven't even mentioned the cancellation fees or the fact that you have to make sure that the phone is compatibility with the phone carrier, we were just briefed on this, so hah...Oh, yea the official date is Nov. 24

Warranty Exchange
RaVeN
Big Poppa

Nov 6, 2003, 6:29 PM
What are you talking about??? Number Portabilty has nothing to do with transfering you cell phone to another carrier, just the telephone number. If you decide to leave one carrier and switch to another, you will have to purchase a handset from the carrier you are switching too. What kind of crap is ATTWS filling your head with?? Sounds like they are filling their employees head full of crap as to confuse the customer as a tatic to try and keep them.
IIXxRaVeNxXII

Nov 6, 2003, 6:42 PM
Not, really Big Poppa Pump, if a customer wants to come to ATTWS, and save some money and keep their orginal phone, as long it is compatible, they can.....
wb

Nov 6, 2003, 10:46 PM
CDMA isn't everywhere, but like GSM it is still growing in coverage. The problem for GSM is that CDMA is in far more places than GSM is. TDMA is currently in second place to CDMA.

Today I had a chance to compare three phones. I had a Nextel, Cingular and AT&T phone. The iDEM did not get any better reception than the GSM phone, yet the TDMA got full strength in an enclosed area. Some day I'll get to compare a CDMA to a TDMA phone. I find that my desk is the best place to compare phone reception at.

Coverage and technology it has a lot to do with who you want to switch to. LNP does not stand on an island all alone. VZW stands to gain more customers than AT&T does when LNP finally hits, and that is mainly due to their claims of ...
(continues)
Big Poppa

Nov 7, 2003, 11:24 AM
True, but only if they are given the code needed to unlock the phone to allow another carriers sim card to operate, and attws cannot provide the lock code to a cingular or t-mobile phone, only thier own.. And let me ask this, WHY would attws activate a phone from another carrier? They would loose money by not having the customer purchase one from them.

And being compatible is a BIG thing.. if any from attws, cingular, or T-mobile was coming to either Sprint or Verizon they would have to get a new phone. and the vice versa
ATTWS_H8TR

Nov 7, 2003, 3:43 PM
Don't listen to Raven he has no clue what is going on at ATTWS he only knows how to take batteries off phones and get numbers.
Rich Brome

Nov 7, 2003, 1:03 AM
You're assuming that people will only switch if they can keep their phone, which is silly. Many - if not most - people will be happy to switch their phone as well.

People with low-end phones probably got their current phone for free and will also get their new phone for free - they couldn't care less.

People with higher-end phones will probably see it as an opportunity to get a newer, better phone anyway.

If you're willing to switch phones, there is no "barrier" at all. Anyone will be able to switch from a TDMA to a GSM carrier, or CDMA GSM, or whatever.

The compatibility barrier you talked about is just shameless FUD in the part of your employer. Don't buy it, and please stop spreading it.

With that said, you did bring up the...
(continues)
Big Poppa

Nov 7, 2003, 11:27 AM
Rich Brome said:
With that said, you did bring up the very valid point of cancellation fees. November 24th won't magically release people from their contracts. I think a lot of people don't realize they will still need to wait for their contract to expire before they can switch without penalty. That is a good point.

I can't wait to see how many people credit get F'kd up becuase they forget that or just change without paying their final bill. :^D
pumpkin

Nov 8, 2003, 1:56 AM
thankfully everyone here is smart enough to stop listening to this idiot. and its not his employer who is giving him false info, he is taking what they told him in the training and twisting for some stupid reason that is just gonna piss even more people off. aws is not teaching their reps that the phone has to go with the number, they are not teaching us that the number from tdma has to go to tdma. they are telling us people will HAVE to get new phones, they will not be releasing the phones and they are telling us the number can go anywhere as long as it is local. as proven in other forums, this raven just likes to feel special by posting, but doesnt now what he is posting. i guess what we think in care about wex reps is true, they do h...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.