Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Number portability

fazworld

Oct 30, 2003, 9:55 AM
I currently have Nextel service and am thinking of switching to TMobile. Yes, I might be crazy, but I'm sick of carrying around a brick (the i90c). I live in the DC metro area... Voicestream opinions anyone? I'm looking to get the SonyEricsson T610.

If I switch to T-Mobile now, can I keep my same number. Has the number portability gone into effect?

-faz

ps - I'm surprised there is no 'search' feature on this discussion board. I'm sure this has been asked before....
jessalyn

Oct 30, 2003, 12:30 PM
LNP - Local Number Portability goes into effect on Nov. 24.

How is TMobile's service in the DC area? If it is anything like it is in North NJ - Go with Verizon - maybe even the Verizon Push to Talk. You may be happier with the service.
wb

Oct 30, 2003, 10:28 PM
LNP is being fought tooth and nail. Lots of outfits want to either delay it or deny it. They are scared of the turn over costs.
Will T-Mobile satisfy your needs? Bo they actually have coverage and agreements where you travel? Give them a test drive before switching.
I don't know anything about the phone you want but most carriers only activate phones they carry. New contracts usually qualify for free or reduced priced phones.
Voicestream is the old name for T-Mobile. Ask them about their options.
Good luck and enjoy your new service.
prcstrp

Oct 31, 2003, 10:33 AM
t-mobile doesn't have service everywhere so i would see if anyone i knew had t-mobile in that area to see if they have problems..the best att or verizon
prcstrp

Nov 1, 2003, 8:42 AM
This is from ATTWS. Wireless customers in the nation’s largest 100 markets will generally be able to take their phone numbers with them when they switch wireless carriers. AT&T Wireless announced that it has signed an agreement with T-Mobile USA, Inc. detailing how the two carriers will port customers’ phone numbers between them once local number portability takes effect on November 24, 2003. For more info go to attws.com/press/
wb

Nov 3, 2003, 10:29 PM
Now the bad news. From rcrnews.com comes the rumor that although Verizon expects to reap the largest number of increases from LPN, the reality is that they are 50 % ready. NO ONE IS READY!
Why are so many GSM providers loosing customers to VZW?
All the VZW adds running every day create an image of being able to work absolutely every where (Something a lot of customers don't agree with), and people are willing to buy the hype. But it appears that VZW should have spent more money in testing and setups for LNP then they did on advertising. As things currently stand LPN is going to be a nightmare no matter which outfit you go to. It is being suggested that LPN will not be a reality until late spring of 2004.
vzw girl

Nov 6, 2003, 8:54 PM
WB, I am a verizon rep. We are ready for LNP. We have just completed our training and have been testing numbers and everything seems to be working fine. Verizon is ranked # 1 in wireless coverage in the U.S. Our ads are great and do bring in lots of customers but we do stick behind our words. Our customers have 15 days to try out our service and if the are not happy with it for any reason they can terminate their service. Where do you get your info?
YK

Nov 6, 2003, 10:20 PM
For those like me, what is "LNP"? I went to the glossary, but it wasn't listed there.
vzw girl

Nov 7, 2003, 7:59 PM
LNP STANDS FOR LOCAL NUMBER PORTIBILITY. ON NOVEMBER 24TH YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CHANGE SERVICES AND KEEP YOUR CURRENT MOBILE NUMBER.
wb

Nov 6, 2003, 10:34 PM
Hi Vzw girl. I got my information from an article on rcrnews.com. The contention is not so much that VZW is not ready for LPN but that it is currently only about 50 percent ready (which is far more ready than a few other outfits) for all that LPN entails. It was an article. I posted this when the article was on top of the rcr news bundle. You will need to read their article and dig into what all they are they are concerned about to get a better grasp on how that group perceived the readiness of the cell phone carriers to fully provide LNP services.
I did not dig into very deep, but RCR wireless News tends to produce reliable articles.

Personally, I am rather impressed with VZW (not from the adds, but from people I talk to). I just...
(continues)
brodfukker

Nov 4, 2003, 12:21 PM
I work as a VZW agent & I have a friend who is in a VZW corp store - VZW is ready for LNP.
monkey70

Nov 4, 2003, 3:46 PM
AWS(AT&T Wireless) is ready to "Rock N' Roll" 😈
qagirl

Nov 5, 2003, 12:09 AM
Yes, VZW certainly is ready for LNP. Have been for weeks. While all the other carriers were trying to fight LNP, VZW was rallying for it, building an LNP call center, and spending serious $$$ in updating systems to prepare for it. Training is almost complete, and testing has already begun, with successful results.
Screwball

Nov 12, 2003, 9:41 AM
If you switch I would say switch to Verizon because they have the largest network. They also have the best customer service.
They also now have push to talk, just like Nextel.

Hope everything works out for you.

🙂

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.