Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 10 replies

master agents of t-mobile

thatphoneplace

Feb 7, 2004, 11:37 PM
my master agent said the v300 and e105 are on back order from T-mobile any truth to this. Or does anyone know where I can buy these phones wholesale?
dtownsound8

Feb 8, 2004, 2:00 PM
What's a "master agent"?

If they're on backorder, it's not from t-mobile, it's from motorolla and samsung. Retailers order their phones from the manufacturers or wholesalers.. not t-mobile

right now the v300 is like $30 after rebate at wireless retail locations (sam's club, wallmart, k-mart, maynards)
JDigital

Feb 8, 2004, 11:19 PM
You must be joking... what's a master agent? You must work in direct side, or you just haven't been paying attention. Master agents are middle men between smaller indirect agents and the wireless company directly. My master agent is QDI out of Phoenix, one of the biggest in the US. In the case of T-Mobile I have to buy my phones through them, and they buy them from T-Mobile. Then my store gets a commission check issued by the master agent, who gets paid commission from T-Mobile. Wireless companies do this so that they don't have a deal with thousands of little guys who are selling their product. I have a a rep from QDI who looks out for me and helps me out with equipment and all kinds of other stuff. I also have a rep from T-Mobile d...
(continues)
dtownsound8

Feb 9, 2004, 9:37 AM
i work national retail and with that being said, speaking condescending will get you nowhere.

the larger retailers DO get phones directly from manufacturers in some cases, or in other cases, companies that act as distributers for them (most likely the master agents you're referring to), so thanks for reestablishing my point for me

and thanks for the master agent descript. as far as that goes however, t-mobile generally uses 'territory reps' as your dubbed "middle men". they generally have about 50 smaller, indirect stores each. that would be the rep you're referring to that keeps you up to date on news and brochures.

and as i was saying, after rebate the v300 IS $30 at wireless retail locations. yes the rebate has changed and ...
(continues)
JDigital

Feb 9, 2004, 12:24 PM
Hey my friend, there was no condescension intended. You started your previous "what's a master agent" and I was surprised that someone in the business wouldn't know. I guessed correctly, apparently, that you worked in direct sales, so no big deal. You probably never deal with them. Also, I missed the part in your previous post where you said $30 after rebate. I do generally discount my phones, better than almost anyone else in my area. All I was saying is that the demand for V300s has been so high that I haven't needed to. I was the only one in my area to have them before Christmas, and because my master agent likes me I had them when T-Mobile direct was completely out. They have been in such short supply that I'm really amazed that ...
(continues)
dtownsound8

Feb 9, 2004, 1:46 PM
good deal. I personally wouldn't discount a v300 either.. there's no need to. The phone sells itself. A lot of the corporate dealers have told me that they have a lot of issues with the phone and they get a lot of returns on them. I wouldn't attest to that myself though, as I've sold a truckload of em and haven't had one return yet.

Wireless retail sells them so cheap because they're really not concerned with the phone pricing, they worry more about the kickbacks. It's just another way for them to be able to tell people... you're not going to find a better deal so just get it while you're here. That.. paired up with the sense of urgency they create by telling people of the short supply nearly guarantees them a sale every time.

t-...
(continues)
JDigital

Feb 9, 2004, 2:34 PM
I'm in the unique position of having a small wireless store that does a ton of other things, so I really don't have to worry about profit margins. Any profit we make is gravy on top of our other business, and we are in a very high traffic strip mall. We could probably even sell phones at no profit whatsoever, just because it brings in crossover business. That's why I guarantee that I will undersell anybody in the area, although few customers actually shop around that much to be honest. Usually people are impatient, and if they really like something they want it RIGHT NOW. I have actually discounted a V300 once or twice just to be sure I got the sale right then and there for a sales goal but other than that I agree with you. It actually...
(continues)
InpherKnow

Feb 9, 2004, 3:33 PM
dtownsound8 said:

and as i was saying, after rebate the v300 IS $30 at wireless retail locations. yes the rebate has changed and I doubt wireless retail will hold that offer much longer. from what their field managers told me, it'll be back up to $130 out the door with a $50 rebate, resulting in a final price of $80 to the customer. just because you don't discount your phones doesnt mean that larger companies that do 1000 times the volume don't

I work @ a WRI location in Detroit, and i'm considering getting a v300, but i havent seen the v300 for $130. I have seen it for $159 with the 50 dollar rebate. If its 130 where you are, i'll ask my field manager why I'm selling it for 159.
JDigital

Feb 10, 2004, 3:02 AM
Retail on it is $199, and that's still a very good price. $159 is totally worth it for that phone. He was just saying that some major retailers sell it for so cheap because they don't really care about making money back on the handset as much as they care about doing big numbers and getting bonuses. I basically paid $210 for mine, because that is the price from my distibutor, and I think its more than worth it. You definitely aren't screwing anybody selling it at $159, there are just other places where they sell it that much cheaper. Don't you have any wiggle room when trying to make a sale, anyway?
dtownsound8

Feb 10, 2004, 10:48 PM
which location are you at? unless the plan changed within the last week it should be $130. last I checked both K-mart and Sams were selling it at $130
Trashed

Feb 12, 2004, 4:16 AM
I'm sure this is a bit late to reply to this, but yes the V300 and the E105 are both on backorder. The v300 was in stock again for less than a week, and then sold like crazy... There's no indication as to when they'll be back in stock, either.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.