Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 15 replies

California Petition

poohgirl

Jan 22, 2004, 1:41 PM
I thought some of you might like to sign this petition & maybe we can change the way cell companies treat us.
This is copied from the site.

Hello,

Ever feel like you are living in a cell hell of dropped phone calls, dead zones, billing errors, and unexpected fees and charges? If so, you are not alone. For years, cell phone companies have played by their own rules -- often leaving us feeling cheated and dissatisfied, with nowhere to turn.

That could all change in the next few weeks. California is considering establishing essential protections for telephone customers, including millions of cell phone users throughout the state.

But here's the catch. Cell phone companies are trying to kill or weaken the proposed rules. Worse, at ...
(continues)
Big Daddy

Jan 22, 2004, 1:54 PM
I love my cell phone and provider so good luck with this.
McG

Jan 22, 2004, 6:14 PM
Ummmm how do i respond to this? AHHH here it is. Quit your bitching. Nobody is forcing you to have a cell phone. If you dont like a companies policy then dont go with that company. If your with that company pay the Termination Fee. You might not like the options but at least you have some. How can you force a company to put more towers up. They clearly say THEY DO NOT GUARANTEE SERVICE EVERYWHERE. So what is the Public Utilities Commissioners going to do. Pay for the new towers to be put up so there is coverage everywhere? I understand its frustrating to need a phone and to not be able to use it. But there are procedures cell companies have. Like dial the number within 1 minute and you'll be credit 1 min of airtime. AWS there. You cant expec...
(continues)
95mike

Jan 22, 2004, 10:04 PM
LOL!

Anybody who would sign that petition doesn't know what goes into putting up/running a cell tower.
mmdstech2

Jan 22, 2004, 10:12 PM
I agree with 95mike.
leaps19

Jan 22, 2004, 10:43 PM
Boy, how to address this one... The FCC governs all wireless laws nationally, then the state has wireless laws & then some counties / cities do too. Don't you think the wireless industry is regulated enough? In every business in the US, there are federal & state rules / laws that govern that business & I'm not saying by any means that all businesses follow those rules, but by slapping these extra set of rules on the wireless industry just seems like a bunch of complainers that organized for the good of complainers everywhere, are just pointing the scapegoat finger at the wireless industry to take out their frustrations. These people obviously have too much free time on their hands & possibly some deep rooted psychological grudge issues that ...
(continues)
cellhound

Jan 23, 2004, 7:32 AM
lets see every carrier in CALIFORNIA puts towers everywere,gives unlimited calls for $1.00 a month.and then gives $10.00 credits for calling every time they complain. perfect world ..huh. because thats what these whiners want.
i can understand the need and the wants BUT,the FCC also regulats which carriers have licenses to put towers were.also then speak to the town or area commision board to let carriers put the towers were they want then and maybe coverage will get better. also have everybody go back to 30 minute plans for $30.00 so the carriers can afford to puit multi million $ towers everywhere.. this petition is wrong..
bh5896

Jan 27, 2004, 1:30 PM
****************News Flash*********************
The cellular industry is not a charitable organization. If cellular companies charged actual cost then few people would be able to afford one. I wish they charged retail price for phones. Maybe people would appreciate them more. It drives me crazy when people bought a phone in November and then come back in January wanting the hot new phone. They can not understand why they can not get the reduced price even though they signed a 2yr agreement. They will say we owe it to them even though they owe us $350.00 in past due bills. If people would stop complaining about every little thing and every little fee. Cell phone companies would be able to afford to give lower prices. All government regulatio...
(continues)
leaps19

Jan 28, 2004, 6:39 PM
I agree, there are enough recovery fees as it is on bills.
moobak

Jan 29, 2004, 12:16 AM
I don't think poohgirl is going to be back anytime soon.
Heres what you do if you're an educated customer:
Read the fine print on your service, you will understand every single charge given. Keep copies of it all, and if someone surprising comes up, fax them the proof and stick the wireless company to the wall! Read your terms and conditions as well.

What you don't do is just buy the service, and ASSUME things, becuase you'll most likely be wrong.. usually within a period ALL Wireless companies do give some sort of leeway, usually 60 or 90 days between the time a change is made, and the time an error was found.

We KNOW new customers get free phones. WE KNOW it seems they're treated better, but remember that if you pay 30 dollars a mo...
(continues)
poohgirl

Jan 29, 2004, 9:26 AM
FYI... I didn't start the petition nor am I part of it in any way shape or form. I came across it as I was surfing & thought some of the people that use this page might be interested. It's a free country...if you don't agree...don't sign...it's that simple.
McG

Jan 29, 2004, 6:04 PM
Your right its a free country so we are allowed to express our opinions. If you dont agree dont read or simply express yours back, and we will do the same. Freedom 😁
annetagonist

Jan 31, 2004, 12:37 AM
Hmm... do I detect some biased opinions? Probably. Its hard to imagine the validity of this petition if one is inundated on a daily basis with grumpy consumers who just can't seem to understand how difficult this whole wireless industry thing is.

On the other hand, the checks and balances in place to protect the consumer from error are faulty. For instance: You call your carrier to change your rate plan. The person who answers your call, does nothing but pick their nose the entire time. You go on your trip, thinking that you are covered for roaming, only to come home to a $3,000.00 wireless bill. You see an obvious mistake, and call your carrier. They tell you that your bill is high because of roaming. You say...
(continues)
moobak

Jan 31, 2004, 9:54 PM
You're getting into a real grey area annetagonist. Unfortunately, wireless companies NEED policies to keep themselves safe from consumers who get a 3000 dollar wireless bill, and DID NOT actually call up. Sure, there is a few bad apples who do pick their nose and don't do their job. At least with the provider I work for, we allow a 'grace period' between the time a change is claimed to be made, and when it can be made for rep errors and the like, as long as it can be PROVEN. We Customer Service agents really, really arn't out to stick customers for every time, serious. I understand where you come from, though.
bh5896

Feb 11, 2004, 11:53 AM
Well there are some bad apples every business has them. I can't speak for everyone but the ones in my company DO NOT stay very long. The company can see what is going on and then corrects accordingly. 99.9% of the reps are NOT going to intentionally make that kind of mistake. It only makes our job that much harder. Anyone in the cellular industry can attest to that fact. Angry customers are not fun!
alogator

Feb 11, 2004, 8:38 PM
I personally think the petition is ridiculous and has no just cause. Just a bunch of angry customers who didn't get what they want and now want to wine about it. Good luck with there venture. 👿 😈 👿 😈 👿 😈

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.