Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 20 replies

Verizon Push to talk

clor

Jan 12, 2004, 4:36 PM
Has any one heard when Verizon will be coming out with a new push to talk phone. I heard Verizon was tentative with a Samsung model. And possibly a Motorola, just curios on some makes and models as I am in the market for a new phone and have been patiently waiting on a new color push to talk phone from Verizon since early August.

Thanks,

Chris
Worf

Jan 12, 2004, 8:51 PM
Go with a Nextel, Verizon's Pust to Talk sucks.
Skins56

Jan 13, 2004, 8:59 AM
Why don't you provide some facts for the statement you made?
southwestcomm

Jan 13, 2004, 12:02 PM
Check Tech TV's Website. They have a video clip you can download showing how terrible to Verizon PTT is. The set-up delay, if you get it to set up, is 10-12 seconds. Delays in conversation are up to 4 seconds. USA Today has written a comparison, RCR Wireless, and Wireless Week - none preferred Verizon over Nextel.
Skins56

Jan 13, 2004, 12:56 PM
It is one thing to say Nextel is prefered, but another to say it sucks. I have to agree that nextel has a better walkie talkie service because they devote the majority of their resources to walkie talkie service. So we could say their cellular service sucks then. I have used both services and nextel is the better of the two, but I really did not have a problem with the Verizon Wireless PTT.
mmdstech2

Jan 14, 2004, 11:12 AM
What do you mean when you say Nextel devotes more resources to d.c then interconnect? The truth is, a dispatch call is half duplex and uses half the RF resources that a interconnect call does. Verizon's push to WAIT service is horrible. 8-10 seconds of latency compared with Nextels sub-second set up time. I tryed Verizon PTT and would not recommend it to anyone. Stick with Nextel.
heatherb13

Jan 15, 2004, 3:51 PM
I have to agree...I have VZW PTT and Nextel is faster but there is a major difference in call quality. VZW call quality is much better than Nextel's including direct connect. On Nextel the direct connect is very garbled most of the time...VZW I have never had a problem with clarity so keep in mind "quality vs quantity". VZW has quality, reliable cell phone service w/PTT as an added feature, Nextel has a dast walkie talkie w/an ok cell phone as a backup...hmmmm
mmdstech2

Jan 15, 2004, 4:02 PM
I have never heard that before. Garbled audio? You must be in a fringe area. Nextel's Direct Connect is superior to Verizon's push to wait. Everybody that has tested Verizon's service gives it a big thumbs down, including myself. Nextel has been offering dispatch for 10+ years. They have perfected it.
95mike

Jan 15, 2004, 9:23 PM
I'm going to have to agree with mmdstech2 on this one. Nextel has the best ptt and justifiably so. I've never encountered a garbled direct connect.

Why would anyone spend 7 seconds waiting to connect with a Verizon user when they could have just dialed them and talk live? I've always seen ptt as an expensive "novelty" that only buisinesses that use radios anyways could benefit from.
heatherb13

Jan 16, 2004, 10:27 AM
Unless you consider CT a fringe area, which it certainly isn't according to Nextel then you can't explain the garble...either way as I stated Nextel is faster there is no denying that and they should be since they have been doing it for 10+years but I don't hear you defending their inferior cellular service...hmmm
95mike

Jan 16, 2004, 12:56 PM
That's because it is inferior. I was hoping they would go out of business after everyone else got ptt, but it seems they will hang in there for a little while longer.
mmdstech2

Jan 17, 2004, 10:23 AM
Where do you say Nextel has inferior interconnect service? Nextel has some of the lowest drop and block percentage of any carrier. Less than 1% !!! That's bad? The audio quality is better than any other provider I have used. As far as Nextel going out of business? Not gonna happen. 13 million subs, 30% govt accounts. They have the best churn rate's in the industry with the highest arpu. Nextel will remain, and the future looks bright.
95mike

Jan 17, 2004, 1:59 PM
I will admit that they have strong connections where they do have coverage. I think call quality appears better using the "sprint" method of having the speaker on the phone be really loud. I sold them for a long time and no company had given me as many headaches as Nextel did. That is why it was my personal fantasy that they would go under.
heatherb13

Jan 17, 2004, 6:02 PM
again, your statements may be true but keep in mind that percentages are based on totals and the total number of subscribers is 1/3 of VZW's and VZW is proven to be the MOST reliable network...most people I know complain that almost everytime they call Nextel customer they get "please hold while the nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is located" then it goes to vmail...no good explanation for this...my boyfriend has nextel and can be in the exact same place for 15mis and out of 3 times I call I get through once and his phone shows full signal...network or equipment?????
mmdstech

Jan 17, 2004, 7:37 PM
There are a few scenarios why you reach the "please hold while the Nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is located". If the user is in a dispatch call(direct connect), or using data, or the ms has traveled outside a service area. This message is played when the mso is paging the ms. You should not get this message if the phone is not in the mentioned scenarios. I would call customer care @611 from your phone. This is a airtime free call.
biggamike

Jan 19, 2004, 11:33 AM
I'm finding it hard to believe that you all are having a discussion about PTT without mentioning Sprint. Their connect time is usually under 3sec and RARELY under 5sec. The latency is less than 1 sec once the call is connected. I have to tell you, the Sanyo 5500 is one of the best phones on the market today, it's definately the best I've used in terms of call quality, dropped calls, data speed, speakerphone, battery life, etc, etc.. I believe that every review I've read have Sprint's PTT right behind Nextel's and way ahead of Verizon's. I would expect Nextel's to be better since they've been doing it for 11 years. And with AT&T about to join the fray, it should make things very interesting. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents
Worf

Jan 19, 2004, 12:07 PM
My biggest problem with Sprint, is the actual PCS coverage area. Its the same size as Nextels or darn close. If you aren't on Nextel's network, the device (phone or walkie talkie) doesn't work. With Sprint you can be on a CDMA network and not know it if you're outside of your normal area. I think the multi band phones should let you know what network its recieving. IE, GSM, CDMA, or something besides just analog or digital.
biggamike

Jan 19, 2004, 12:34 PM
All phones tell you whether of not it's roaming and All Sprint phones have a call block feature that will prompt you about romaing charges if you try to use their phones outside of their coverage areas. Or you could get the free roaming option for $5/month. I'm a little confused by you're last sentence though. GSM phone only work on GSM networks, the same goes for any other network type. There are only a few phone that can go between GSM and TDMA and they're offered by AT&T and Cingular.
Worf

Jan 17, 2004, 8:40 PM
Well I have been a Verizon Customer, and now I'm a nextel customer. I'm sorry you wanted more facts with the statement, but its been posted many times before about the delays that Verizon has. I know you are here often enough, to have seen them. Verizon has a bigger coverage area, but I like the service I recieve with Nextel better than what I had with Verizon. This is an opinion so I have no facts to back that up other than the fact I'm no longer a Verizon customer.
heatherb13

Jan 19, 2004, 4:18 PM
I don't know where we aren't connecting (kind of like some of those calls) but I have said more than once yes the direct connect is faster ther is no disputing that and rightfully so again..who would expect anything less than that from a company that has been working on it for 10+years, it's not just one person that experiences the "waiting to be connected" scenario I know alot of people who will tell you the same thing...and as a fair comparison me and my boyfriend basically go everywhere together and I have yet to be somewhere that I don't have service & he does but I can't say the same for vice versa...nuff said
cellconn

Jan 19, 2004, 7:19 PM
verizon was testing a samsung phone for their push to talk service but it is no longer in test markets. there are currently NO phones in test market for their push to talk service.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.