Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 15 replies

verizon losing towers?

notch32

Dec 14, 2006, 6:43 PM
Does any body know if it is true that verizon is losing 40% of their towers next year.
SPCSVZWJeff

Dec 14, 2006, 7:00 PM
Their tower count will remain the same. They are shutting off their analog service which will reduce their footprint in some markets substantially.
notch32

Dec 15, 2006, 7:02 PM
okay i am a vzw customer, and i really like their service, so how do i find out if this going 2 affect me. i'm in the northern cali area.
trucksmoveamerica

Dec 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
is your phone on analog a lot? If you do not use analog, then you should not be affected. They are only shutting off analog, as will all the carriers.
wombough

Dec 17, 2006, 11:14 AM
I think a few are keeping them on as the FCC requested them to!
SquiggNick

Mar 11, 2007, 1:59 AM
The idea is to get rid of all analog service within the next five years. This is being pushed through by the FCC, just like the FCC restricting any cell phone carrier from using non-e911 compatible phones. By the time the analog signals are completely dismissed, there will be enough digital towers to pick up the slack.
Crapbag

Mar 11, 2007, 1:54 PM
Cingular is informing all TDMA customers they have till march 31st to upgrade or find new service. Of course there are incentives to upgrade. Thankfully Cingular doesn't offer digital/TDMA phones so when this goes into affect our service will increase rather than decrease!
WirelessVet

Mar 12, 2007, 2:30 PM
Well,

If your in northern cali, I mean anything from santa rosa up and sacramento up, It will be intresting. In mendocino county and up, Verizon has such horrible coverage I dont even know if you will tell the diffrence. In sac, yolo, humbolt and up to redding, I dont think you will tell the diffrence either. Possibly when you leave redding and heads towards oregon.
travi6047

Feb 20, 2007, 9:11 PM
In a sence yes,
Verizon and Alltel have a major roaming aggrement that will expire in the 4th quater of 2007. And to be really honest, since Alltel bought Western Wireless, Verizon Wireless will get hurt the most. So when they loose that roaming aggrement, they will only have about 1/3 of the network size as they do now. Tip, look at the prepaid maps for Verizon and Alltel. The red on the verizon wireless is their native network (which is all they will have after the aggrement is up) If you can't find the one with the red color then e-mailook at the links at the bottom of the page. The dark blue on the Alltel Prepaid is their native. Then compare those two to their current national maps. You will see what I am talking about

Verizon Prep...
(continues)
not2brite

Feb 21, 2007, 10:07 AM
And you're assuming the agreements would not be renewed or re-contracted because?
travi6047

Feb 21, 2007, 11:40 AM
I checked with the companies, and they say that they WON'T renew the roaming aggrements.
not2brite

Feb 21, 2007, 12:37 PM
And you know because you're...???

The president of Alltel or Verizon???
mtverizonagent

Feb 28, 2007, 2:34 PM
I agree. They're not going to tell anyone. They don't even tell their agents when they're putting new towers up, or which towers are shared under which roaming agreements. They would never answer a consumer that asked this question.
And I'm thinking it's because of the analog going away too. However, I'm betting in the next year, they are going to be converting a lot of towers to digital.
And Verizon isn't the only one affected by this. The analog thing is FCC regulated.
millroom88

Mar 12, 2007, 11:15 AM
not if they buy alltel
ABLINDKID

Apr 4, 2007, 11:21 PM
the analog towers are shutting down, and the way verizon is compensating for it , is by offering people with analog phones free new phones in the stores...go by there and they will tell you that

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.