Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Nextel and Sprint's PTT compatable

SEU39

Jul 30, 2004, 1:19 PM
I have heard from some people in my compnay that Sprint and Nextel were trying to work out a deal to make their PTT compatable with each others..... Does anyone know any info aobut that?
jbrown1028

Aug 1, 2004, 12:55 AM
Well if this is true, then I believe that some major work is ahead.

The way I understand it is:

Nextel:
(from howstuffworks.com)
Nextel is unique among service providers because it has an entirely separate special cellular network that has its own frequencies and equipment in addition to the normal cell network shared with other providers. This network is based on Motorola's Integrated Digital Enhanced Network (iDEN) and makes Direct Connect possible. It uses the 800 MHz portion of the radio spectrum assigned to specialized mobile radio (SMR) service. Nextel has purchased a large segment of these frequencies in a significant number of the national and international cellular service markets.

iDEN uses TDMA technology to split a 25...
(continues)
muchdrama

Aug 1, 2004, 12:00 PM
jbrown1028 said:
Well if this is true, then I believe that some major work is ahead.

The way I understand it is:

Nextel:
(from howstuffworks.com)
Nextel is unique among service providers because it has an entirely separate special cellular network that has its own frequencies and equipment in addition to the normal cell network shared with other providers. This network is based on Motorola's Integrated Digital Enhanced Network (iDEN) and makes Direct Connect possible. It uses the 800 MHz portion of the radio spectrum assigned to specialized mobile radio (SMR) service. Nextel has purchased a large segment of these frequencies in a significant number of the national and international cellular service markets.

iD
(continues)
NeumZ

Aug 2, 2004, 12:29 AM
WOW that was unnecesary. compatiblity i doubt would be an issue, just think inter-carrier sms. now with nextel/sprint ptt, i doubt it. nextel puts themselves at a very big advantage by being exclusive.
ChuX

Aug 2, 2004, 10:34 AM
In order for Nextel and Sprint to be compatible, Nextel would have to allow Sprint to use QChat, which I read is compatible with iDEN.

But I think this is unlikely to happen.
OriginalEffigy

Aug 11, 2004, 10:30 AM
It is being worked on. However I wouldn't hold your breath, because the estimates are lengthy at the earliest late 2005, probably later.
nextel18

Aug 15, 2004, 11:18 PM
no thats not true at all.
dbz433

Aug 21, 2004, 11:20 AM
🤣 Nextel uses there voice service to transmit the message. sprint uses there data service to transmit the message. there is no way the two could work together
southwestcomm

Aug 21, 2004, 4:48 PM
Sorry, wrong. Nextel uses their data channels for Direct-Connect. And all the carrier's could make their walkie-talkie systems interoperable. Just takes time and a lot of money to develop the gateways to support it.
MarkF

Aug 22, 2004, 5:03 AM
southwestcomm said:
Sorry, wrong. Nextel uses their data channels for Direct-Connect. And all the carrier's could make their walkie-talkie systems interoperable. Just takes time and a lot of money to develop the gateways to support it.

That is incorrect. iDEN uses TDMA time slots for Direct Connect (DC) and Telephone Interconnect (TI). Currently is 6:1 for DC and 3:1 for TI. The NEXTEL does not use VoIP for the Direct Connect and connectivity to the Sprint network would probably be difficult (but not impossible). It would take Motorola to engineer as iDEN patents belong to them.

Here is a quote from the iDEN tutorial I posted a few months back:

A DIRECT CONNECT DISPATCH CALL IS IN
(continues)
nextel18

Aug 23, 2004, 2:08 PM
well remember nextel and motorola and qcom are teaming up to do a gateway to cdma carriers obvoiusly world wide but if it can happen worldwide it can happen domestically.
MarkF

Aug 24, 2004, 3:57 AM
nextel18 said:
well remember nextel and motorola and qcom are teaming up to do a gateway to cdma carriers obvoiusly world wide but if it can happen worldwide it can happen domestically.

It will be years until NEXTEL can have deployed qchat over a broadband wireless connection.
CDMA is typicially in the US. It is not a worldwide platform so your comment about worldwide connection is flawed right out of the gate.
SPCSVZWJeff

Sep 6, 2004, 12:35 PM
Actually Nextel is looking at using CDMA when they transition to 1900 MHZ. They would then use Q-chat. They realize that iDEN is a good technology but cannot take them too much further.
And for those who believe that CDMA is only a U.S. phenomena you may want to read the information coming from the CDG. It seems that Asia is CDMA's fastest growing market followed by latin America. CDMA growth is also greater than GSM's at this time.
nextel18

Sep 10, 2004, 12:51 PM
no nextel isnt looking to use cdma when they get the 1.9ghz spectrum. they will only use the 1.9ghz as a backbone for flarion (data).

they would use Qchat for worldwide use for all the cdma carriers, however i dont think they can use it in the united states. (push to talk)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.