Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 48 replies

ATTWS Relaunch?

midwest82000

Jul 11, 2004, 12:27 PM
Ive recently heard that ATTWS is going to relaunch after they merge with Cingular. I heard the ATTWS was going to be yet another reseller on the Sprint Network. Anyone wanna shed some light on this?

How many resellers are there on the Sprint network and why would anyone choose the smallest network out there?
phonepimp3376

Jul 11, 2004, 12:34 PM
AT&T Corp. inked a deal to offer services in a Virtual Mobile Network Operator agreement, similar to the deal Sprint has with Virgin Mobile.

For national service, the only one I know of for sure is Virgin Mobile as reseller VMNO's.

And lastly, great question... the only reason I can fathom is that it was more profitable for ATT than any other deal they could pull off. Let's face it, Sprint isn't exactly known for their incredible presence as a mobile GIANT...lol
muchdrama

Jul 11, 2004, 1:34 PM
phonepimp3376 said:
AT&T Corp. inked a deal to offer services in a Virtual Mobile Network Operator agreement, similar to the deal Sprint has with Virgin Mobile.

For national service, the only one I know of for sure is Virgin Mobile as reseller VMNO's.

And lastly, great question... the only reason I can fathom is that it was more profitable for ATT than any other deal they could pull off. Let's face it, Sprint isn't exactly known for their incredible presence as a mobile GIANT...lol
C'mon now. Be fair. Sprint has a TON of capacity. ATT recognized that and decided to save money by running piggyback on Sprint's network, leaving them to only dealing with customers and administration. Sprint's network is gett...
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jul 11, 2004, 2:48 PM
Yuppers, forgot Qwest. Sprint has a ton of capacity, but a great deal of it is analog and through roaming arrangements. Sprint's OWN coverage area in the digital arena is very small.
muchdrama

Jul 11, 2004, 9:50 PM
phonepimp3376 said:
Yuppers, forgot Qwest. Sprint has a ton of capacity, but a great deal of it is analog and through roaming arrangements. Sprint's OWN coverage area in the digital arena is very small.
Yeah, but thankfully even the spectrum they own in that area is sufficient. Or at least they think so.
SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 12, 2004, 9:04 AM
Pimp are you bringing that trash in here too?
Sprint has NO analog coverage as T-Mobile has NO analog coverage.
Roaming is preferred on Verizon, Alltel, U.S. Cellular and other CDMA carriers using CDMA which is definitely NOT analog. It is secondary on analog networks. Sheesh, the hottest network out there is also the Rodney Dangerfield of wireless.
I am in Oregon and Washington and have yet to pay a roaming charge with my Sprint phone. And There has never been a time I wanted to use my phone when I couldn't in two years. On vacation in Central Oregon my wife pulled out the Sprint phone and called our daughter right from the campground which is miles from a major highway. Coverage in our little market is increasing by 148% this year. Th...
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jul 12, 2004, 9:21 AM
Obviously Jeff, you have forgotten how to read a coverage map LEGEND. Hoe much more plain can they make the part that says Off-Network Roaming - ANALOG?
SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 12, 2004, 12:23 PM
Pimp, my friend go to sprintpcs.com and click on the roaming link. It shows 2 different maps. One for CDMA roaming and one for Analog roaming. Neither are inclusive of the Sprint native coverage.
phonepimp3376

Jul 12, 2004, 12:50 PM
Exactly... and the greatest part of their off-net coverage is analog, as I believe I stated. Whether it is native or not, it is still part of Sprint's offering. So as I stated, Sprint's coverage has a HUGE analog reliability. VZW did at one time, but is making pretty good progress converting or replacing it. Analog is a great way to have large coverage, but it limits what offerings you can make to the customer and have them be usable ANYWHERE.

Basically, if you look at it from a customer's standpoint, analog creates a great deal of confusion for those who want to do more than 'just make a call'. Features commonly do not work on analog, even basic ones like caller ID in some cases. Call quality diminishes as well. So it would benefit Sprin...
(continues)
insidescooppp

Jan 13, 2005, 9:35 AM
like I've typed before pimp... when cattle can talk on PCs phones... we'll put towers up... we only offer PCS and digital roaming where it needs to be in America... look at it from a business stand out.. instead of an idiot stand point... 🤣
jerrydock

Jul 19, 2005, 10:55 AM
I love my GSM digital phone and the coverage is 90% complete...BUT.... when I travel, I have an old 5 watt (yes it is boosted) analog phone installed in the vehicle with an external antenna..also boosted.

When I NEED to talk, I will take analog anyday; but when I want to talk, surf the internet, send pics, do text messaging, and see caller ID...then give me GSM.
Mr Mojo Risin

Jul 18, 2005, 10:55 PM
Well personally i had rather deal with some of the confusion of a couple of my features not working on analog, than the alternative of not being able to even make a simple call when trying to us a GSM phone off network.
sw44

Jul 19, 2005, 12:43 PM
I don't know about you but when I am out in the middle of nowhere, all I want do be able to do is make a call out. Who gives a @#$%% if my caller ID doesn't work. I have a sprint dealer plan and I recently got a cingular one, huge difference in call quality. I don't believe I have ever dropped a call with Sprint or not been able to make one. Since I've gotten this GSM phone it's been hell. Half the time the call won't even go through and the other half, it will drop you. My new saying is "once you go CDMA, you'll never go back"
simplymarcus

Jul 19, 2005, 4:45 PM
I hate Sprint service in Chicago and it was awful. I did go CDMA and Verizon CDMA does not even work around the outside of my house. T-Mobile works better than both Verizon and Sprint. I did go CDMA and I went running back GSM. And my Cingular Wireless service works better than the T-Mobile.
CainMarko

Jul 12, 2004, 12:17 PM
WRONG! Sprint has ANALOG COVERAGE.... THEY DON'T HAVE 800mhz CDMA coverage. That's why they can claim the only true "pcs" coverage. They do use analog however, in all those places that they don't have 1900 mhz CDMA. Why would the ysell you a TRIMODE PHONE IF THEY DIDNT?
phonepimp3376

Jul 12, 2004, 12:20 PM
YAY! CainMarko in the nick of time! You need a cape dude. 😁
CainMarko

Jul 12, 2004, 1:49 PM
🤣 That's hilarious. Man if you only knew.
Has anyone played a game called City of Heroes? Man that game is like crack cocaine for people that like comic books. My ol' lady is suing that game for custody of ME.... hehehehe.
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 5:41 PM
CainMarko said:
🤣 That's hilarious. Man if you only knew.
Has anyone played a game called City of Heroes? Man that game is like crack cocaine for people that like comic books. My ol' lady is suing that game for custody of ME.... hehehehe.
Dooooooooooooork!
Rich Brome

Jul 12, 2004, 7:02 PM
Um, no. Sprint's network is all-digital, meaning no analog. They're pretty clear about that in practically all of their advertising.

Yes, they have "analog coverage", if you mean roaming coverage. But Sprint's own network includes zero analog towers or equipment. They don't even own any 800 MHz spectrum, so how could they possibly run analog? There's no such thing as "AMPS 1900", you know... 😉
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 7:31 PM
Rich Brome said:
Um, no. Sprint's network is all-digital, meaning no analog. They're pretty clear about that in practically all of their advertising.

Yes, they have "analog coverage", if you mean roaming coverage. But Sprint's own network includes zero analog towers or equipment. They don't even own any 800 MHz spectrum, so how could they possibly run analog? There's no such thing as "AMPS 1900", you know... 😉
Thanks for clearing that up Rich. Cain and I are grateful.
CainMarko

Jul 13, 2004, 7:01 PM
Um, Rich. I don't think I ever said that Sprint Didn't own an all PCS network. I think that's actually what i said in the last post as a matter of fact. Sprints nation-wide plans however rely on analog roaming agreements. That was the point of my post.
Big Poppa

Jan 14, 2005, 2:34 PM
Sprint PCS only has 1900mhz Digital!

Sprint PCS does NOT own ANY analog Freq. Nor do they own any 800 mzh digital freq.

Any type of analog usage is considered roaming OFF the Sprint pcs network because sprint does NOT own ANY analog.

Your phone can OPERATE on analog for ROAMING.

Good Lord! Please people research BEFORE you post.
insidescooppp

Jan 13, 2005, 9:32 AM
that's just because Sprint built their own... instead of Verizon combining 5 companies... towers are 400,000... and you have to have them every 10 miles... you think building your own secure network is cheap.. that can dominate the rest... the CEO says... when cows can talk on cell phones... they'll put towers everywhere.... look up every single large airport... interstate... and city in America... and you will see excellent Sprint coverage... you find a metropolitan area without Sprint.. and I'll be surprised...
TommyBoy

Feb 13, 2005, 10:42 AM
good thing there aren't people who live in rural areas... that would suck for a few million people.. 42 million plus customers seems to think having a phone place and recieve calls in other areas than major highways and metropolitan areas is a little more important that a neato phone (I think it was about 20 or 30 million customers needed a neat phone) that comes out of the box set to use sprint only even though they paid the extra 5 dollars to not get roaming and to be able "to use all that green not JUST the dark green!" Thanks but no thanks. potential shmotential Worked for sprint and instead of being able to use my employee phone I had to use my vzw person phone.. good thing I didn't cancel it when I got hired.
midwest82000

Jul 11, 2004, 2:33 PM
From what I have heard there is a huge ammount of Sprint resellers. I use to work for a company that retailed all carriers. They decided to start offering their own service call Airlink Mobile. Airlink runs off of the sprint network.

Will ATTWS be just prepaid...like Virgin is? What about ATT's retailers like The Mobile Solution? Any idea what they will do. I work in a mall right now and there is already a Cingular store here so The Mobile Solution cant sell them. There are tests out there right now where some Mobile Solutions are selling Verizon. If you know anything about The Mobile Solution then you know that they do not have a good name. Verizon would be making a huge mistake by letting The Mobile Solutions carry their name...
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jul 11, 2004, 2:49 PM
just one...THANK GOD for that Cingular mall store!
rrehberg1

Jan 12, 2005, 6:50 PM
you used to work for that company too thank god there almost gone
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 8:15 PM
It was true, but with the pending purchase of ATT by SBC, it has been put on hold. SBC simply would have crushed it anyway once the sale was complete, or moved the subscribers over to their baby Cingular.
SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 12, 2004, 8:53 AM
How many MVNO's are there on Sprint?
1) Virgin Mobile
2) Qwest PCS
After the AT&T name reverts back to AT&T they will be an MVNO on the Sprint network.

Check your stats, Sprint's network is not the smallest out there. It covers 240 million people where they live or work. Their coverage maps are just not as optimistic as others are.

Other reasons to choose Sprint is they have the bandwidth, their network is super reliable and has more features than anyone else. They are more cutting edge than any other U.S. carrier which cometimes gets them into a little trouble. They are also building more coverage than 90% of the other carriers out there.
phonepimp3376

Jul 12, 2004, 9:03 AM
I didn't say their NETWORK, Jeff, I said their OWN DIGITAL network.

The majority of Sprint's digital coverage follows a roadrunner array, major highways and metro.
midwest82000

Jul 12, 2004, 10:04 AM
Sprint's coverage hasnt changed since I was 10. T-Mobile's coverage looks better than Sprint.
True... Sprint does have a very advanced network but that doesn't do you any good when the network is so full you cant make a call.

In my expierence in wireless I have never encountered a carrier with more problems, complaints, and complete lack of business as Sprint PCS.

You say Sprint is building more coverage than most other carriers... where is it? Like I said.. that map has looked the same since I was 10.
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 5:40 PM
midwest82000 said:
True... Sprint does have a very advanced network but that doesn't do you any good when the network is so full you cant make a call.

So full? CDMA? Uh...yeah.
Big Poppa

Jan 14, 2005, 2:45 PM
never had an ounce of problems with Sprint coverage here in Nashville, TN.

Didn't have any trouble going from Nashville to Memphis, or Nashville, TN to New Jersey.

Dont have problems with it in Ohio or Pennsyvania, or Washington D.C. area.
Big Poppa

Jan 14, 2005, 2:48 PM
midwest82000 said:
Sprint does have a very advanced network but that doesn't do you any good when the network is so full you cant make a call.

blockquote>

CDMA 1xrtt networks have probably more than TWICE the call capacity of GSM networks.
Rich Brome

Jul 12, 2004, 6:55 PM
midwest82000 said:
Ive recently heard that ATTWS is going to relaunch after they merge with Cingular.

Technically, no. AT&T Wireless (ATTWS) is being bought by Cingular. That entity will cease to exist. The company planning to launch on the Sprint network is AT&T, which is a totally separate company from AT&T Wireless. They will probably call the new venture "AT&T Mobile", or something like that, to differentiate.

How many resellers are there on the Sprint network and why would anyone choose the smallest network out there?

Sprint's network may not cover as many POPs as the others, but it's not that small. Their coverage is vastly improved over the last few years.

Anyway...
(continues)
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 7:28 PM
Verizon can't say the same. That's why they're making headlines spending billions on new spectrum - they need it.

So, tell us Rich...did Sprint buy up all that spectrum right from the get go? Is that why they're in debt up to their ears?

Has Verizon been expanding faster than they've been adding spectrum?
AGENT DEBIT

Jul 13, 2004, 12:15 AM
actually thats not totally correct,cingular is buying the assets that att wireless currently owns as well as the customer base,but the name reverts back to the parent company ATT,and yes pending FCC and dept. of justice approval,ATT wireless is relaunching,they will a reseller of service,they will use the sprint network but they will be using att handsets with the ATT logo
CainMarko

Jul 13, 2004, 8:06 AM
well agent.. you are partly correct too. The ATTWS name will be used by Cingular for a time of 6 months, then ATT will once again own the rights to the name. At which point, ATT's new wireless service will probably be named. I know that they are banking on using that name, but with the recent ratings problems theyve had, they might want to reconsider the name.
Rich Brome

Jul 13, 2004, 9:09 AM
AGENT DEBIT said:
actually thats not totally correct,cingular is buying the assets that att wireless currently owns as well as the customer base,but the name reverts back to the parent company ATT...

...in other words, Cingular is buying AT&T Wireless - the company (that's the "entity" I meant) - and it's just the "AT&T" brand that reverts to AT&T. We don't disagree on that. 😉

But, technically, AT&T is not currently a "parent" company of AT&T Wireless; they were completely spun off several years ago.

...and yes pending FCC and dept. of justice approval,ATT wireless is relaunching,they will a reseller of service,they will use the sprint network but they will be using att handsets with
(continues)
Big Poppa

Jan 14, 2005, 2:54 PM
Wasn't Sprint FIRST MVNO MCI, before they bankrupt.
Bartonic

Jan 14, 2005, 11:46 AM
I worked for AWE, from the information we have been given about AWS relaunch is that it will be for AT&T Corp customers so they can have a bundled offering. It won't really be targeting consumers. So you shouldn't see new AT&T Wireless retail locations popping up.
jramossteel

Jan 14, 2005, 5:10 PM
There is a clause in the buy-out that states after 18 months they can "re-emerge" on the market. But they will hold the AT&T brand, but not a AT&T wireless. They will basically be a 3rd party vendor like MCI was.... And we all remember what that was like, right?
3Gstepps

Feb 12, 2005, 10:23 AM
Lets see Cingular bought ATTWS, SBC owns most of Cingular. SBC recently made a bid to buy ATT
so that will probably stop that and the ATT name will die out. Verizon just made a bid for MCI which was Worldcom and we all know about that. Sprint is buying Nextel so who's going to be bought by whom now.
FiveOH

Feb 14, 2005, 9:02 PM
The rest are all scrambling to catch up with the Cingular and AT&T merger, and to help slow that is probably the reasoning behind the SBC/AT&T purchase. The other carriers don't want to admit it, but even with the merger number Cingular's still brining in new customers on top of that, which has them looking to make large changes.
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 8:25 PM
Like I said earlier, even if they do launch through sprint, SBC will kill it soon after they finish buying ATT. I assume they will switch everyone onto the cingular network.
simplymarcus

Jul 17, 2005, 9:22 PM
Way to early to tell. The buyout of AT&T Corp has not even been approved by the FCC yet.
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 9:51 PM
Thats true, but it has been reported that the powers that be in the FCC have unofficially endorsed the buyout, even while they are still "reviewing" the effects.
NeumZ

Jul 18, 2005, 12:02 AM
i read somewhere about 2 month ago that AT&T are holding back their mvno plans.
colione112

Jul 18, 2005, 12:43 AM
exactly because sbc requested it during negotiations.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.