Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Nextel and how long will it last past 2010

dubbs419

Feb 6, 2006, 3:03 PM
2006: This year a dual mode (Nextel/Sprint) phone will be made this year.

Also continue site sharing with the towers

Begin tech trials on 4G

2007😁eploy 4g by end of the year

Trial VOIP and walkie-talkie on EV-DO A and 4g

2008: Launch Sprint walkie talkie on EV-DO site

2010: Continue Iden network till end of 2010
KrazyJoe

Feb 6, 2006, 6:31 PM
Ya know, the day I first heard about wireless number portability I said "Nextel will be gone by 2010, I guarentee it."

Looks like I was right.
MarkF

Feb 7, 2006, 6:01 AM
Accordint to the latest Mobile Radio Technology magazine, Moto. may not be producing the dual mode iDEN/CDMA phone. It mentioned a limited market share (only Sprint/NEXTEL0 and development times that didn't make it worth their while.
southwestcomm

Feb 8, 2006, 1:18 PM
The first iDEN/CDMA phone will be released through Mot.
MarkF

Feb 8, 2006, 3:28 PM
Not according to this article from January 2006 Mobile Radio Technology...

http://mrtmag.com/mag/radio_idens_murky_future/ »

Although Sprint says it will offer a combined iDEN/CDMA handset, Motorola says it has not made a final commitment to building them. Concerns over market size for such a device could prevent Motorola from taking the plunge. Compounding matters for Sprint is that there currently aren't many options beyond Motorola, as no other handset vendor thus far has tried to build an iDEN handset.
verizonhtr

Feb 18, 2006, 3:53 PM
Why? Why? Why? would u want to go all CDMA? CDMA sucks and this would set business communications back 10 years.
KrazyJoe

Feb 18, 2006, 4:40 PM
iDen is not better then CDMA. The only real advantage iDEN holds over CDMA is for the direct connect and by 2010 CDMAs ability to handle direct connect will be well matched to, if not far suprior to, iDEN.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.