Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 56 replies

Best phone out there??

Tambucs2000

Jun 17, 2004, 5:03 PM
I need some help...i'm gunna be buying a phone in about a month and i need to know whats the best phone thats gunna be out then...also who's the best service provider? I was thinking about the Motorola V710 but i wanna know if there is anything better coming out soon.
ddtmm

Jun 17, 2004, 8:03 PM
From what I know, the Mot V710 will be the most advanced CDMA phone out there when it comes out. There are phones that do video but only at 12 to 15 sec times. The 710 has larger memory and can do 3 min videos. Along with the 1.2 Megapixel camera and Bluetooth, it promises to be a great phone. Go with the BIG V for service and enjoy the TriMode capabilities of this phone. I have looked at it and held it and am excited.
Tambucs2000

Jun 18, 2004, 12:01 PM
When is the Motorola V710 supposed to be released...and approximately how much damage will it due to my wallet?
towermonkey

Jun 18, 2004, 12:24 PM
Tambucs2000 said:
When is the Motorola V710 supposed to be released...and approximately how much damage will it due to my wallet?

Ugh. Question of the year. Nobody here really knows for sure, but most people are saying around June 25. Then again, it could well be after that, since Video Messaging debuts on 6.25 as well.

I can well imagine that, due to the feature-rich content of the phone, it will be in the $300-350 range with a 2-year SA. It'll be Motorola's flagship CDMA phone for a while, so the price will eventually come down a la the LG VX6000 ($299.99 w/2YR at launch, remember).

Really, I could care less about the camera feature. I just want it for the Bluetooth capability. My old Timeport just...
(continues)
stevedp86

Jul 12, 2004, 4:27 PM
What is bluetooth and what is tri-mode?
Craftabc

Jul 12, 2004, 4:42 PM
If you dont know what those two things are, then you probably shouldnt be judging a carriers customer service. i promise that i could get more done with Cingular customer service, than i can with anyone else.
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 5:47 PM
Craftabc said:
If you dont know what those two things are, then you probably shouldnt be judging a carriers customer service. i promise that i could get more done with Cingular customer service, than i can with anyone else.
Well, that certainly was capital of you, Crabass.
CainMarko

Jul 12, 2004, 6:04 PM
Did you just say GRABASS? You aren't making yourself look good here.
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 6:35 PM
CainMarko said:
Did you just say GRABASS? You aren't making yourself look good here.

You may want to look back at that post, Cain. Why? Grabass on your mind? Want to start up a game?
CainMarko

Jul 13, 2004, 7:55 AM
Hehehehe... no you said Crabass. huhhhhuuuhuuu CRABASS. Hell, at first i thought you said CRABGRASS. and i was just lightening things up. it gets stuffy in here sometimes.
muchdrama

Jul 13, 2004, 1:05 PM
CainMarko said:
Hehehehe... no you said Crabass. huhhhhuuuhuuu CRABASS. Hell, at first i thought you said CRABGRASS. and i was just lightening things up. it gets stuffy in here sometimes.
Yeah, and you have a habit of flying off the handle...but that's why I like needling you...it's entertaining. 😉
Craftabc

Jul 13, 2004, 9:27 AM
what the hell is a crabass. what does that mean.

hey look, i found your favorite icon 😲
DaisyStar4

Aug 5, 2004, 3:37 PM
motorola v710 was released today.
National Retail Pricing:

1Yr Contract - $369.99

2Yr Contract - $319.99

No Contract
v710user

Aug 9, 2004, 6:01 PM
where was it released?
daclaw112

Jul 12, 2004, 11:08 PM
what's the best service out there? I'm about to leave sprint and need to know? I like the V710 but i want to go to ATT or Cingular. Does it matter at this point which one i choose? Who has the phone closes to the V710?? HELP PLEASE...
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 11:11 PM
daclaw112 said:
what's the best service out there? I'm about to leave sprint and need to know? I like the V710 but i want to go to ATT or Cingular. Does it matter at this point which one i choose? Who has the phone closes to the V710?? HELP PLEASE...
Well, seeing as the v710 won't arrive before we're all dead...I'd say go with the company that offers the phone you like. Both ATTWS and Cingular have a nice array of phones and plans. Besides, if phones are your fancy then you don't want to go with Verizon, even if I do think it's the most reliable network out there.
daclaw112

Jul 12, 2004, 11:16 PM
Thx. I'm still not ruling out Verizon. But since Cingular purchased ATTWS i thought they would have better coverage once all the cell towers are merged? am I correct or not? Is ATT & Cingular that far behind Verizon? I know Verizon is the top dog but wow I thought the coverage was pretter close.. I just know that with sprint I can't even use my cell phone in my house and that sucks
muchdrama

Jul 13, 2004, 1:03 PM
daclaw112 said:
Thx. I'm still not ruling out Verizon. But since Cingular purchased ATTWS i thought they would have better coverage once all the cell towers are merged? am I correct or not? Is ATT & Cingular that far behind Verizon? I know Verizon is the top dog but wow I thought the coverage was pretter close.. I just know that with sprint I can't even use my cell phone in my house and that sucks
What's the point of having a cell phone if it doesn't work in the places you need it? Cingular's coverage will most definitely be improved by adding ATTWS's network. Cingular's coverage is VERY close to Verizon's.
shagVZW

Jul 14, 2004, 4:43 PM
it still will take cingular awhile to get the old att system working with their system so that could take awhile. i expect cingular to have the same problems and most of att was already under cingular so it wont really be that much different service area wise. verizon will have the most consistant coverage for awhile. it just depends on how long it does take cingular we may never lose our #1 ranking in coverage or customers since att is having a very high churn
SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 13, 2004, 6:01 PM
In the Cingular markets in the East, coverage is good. In the West which is mostly ATTWS markets, coverage hasn't improved much since 1997.
disturbed1

Jul 12, 2004, 11:18 PM
Granted I'm pretty new in the whole cellphone knowledge field, but here's what I've gathered:

As far as who's the better carrier, it depends on where you're at! Example, I just moved from VA where ALLTEL and VZW are the HUGE carriers. Once I got here in NC I'm overwhelmed by dropped calls and crappy signals. It's all about three things LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!

To speak to who has the best phones.....from what I've seen GSM carriers usually sport the "coolest" phones. I can't really speak to the v710, cause it's not out yet, but Moto's last two offerings that seemed to have everything and got everyone into a fit have had LOTS of crappy reviews and defects, I would bet on the 710 goin in the same direction. (not sayin I've gi...
(continues)
daclaw112

Jul 12, 2004, 11:22 PM
See that's one of my problems. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION> i travell all over the US and it's hard to find the one phone that works good. I know i'm getting rid of sprint but I may try that 30 trial period ATT gives u. Just to check out the coverage areas. the A630 looks nice. do u know if att is going to carry it? that phone makes it alot easier to do text messaging. When is the actually release on that phone?
phonepimp3376

Jul 12, 2004, 11:43 PM
Moto for GSM is usually pretty close on their tentative release dates. I would plan on the A630 by mid-fall if past experience is any indicator. They were only off by about 3 weeks on the v400 for Cingular, and the V600 was close to as promised as well.

ATTWS and Cingular are both slated to carry it.
CainMarko

Jul 13, 2004, 8:03 AM
Well, the v600 or v400 is comparible to the elusive v710. The v710 is the top moto for cdma and the v600 is the top moto for gsm. Quite honestly, due to moto's consitent problems with software bugs, i would recomment one of the new nokia phones coming out. the nokia 6230 due out next month offers everything the moto v600 does, but (according to european reviews) actually works very well and there havent been any problems with software. These phones aren't flips, but manhandle the competition in the features categories. Also look at the Nokia 6620 and the 7610. The 6230 IS a tri band world phone and looks pretty cool as well. Those three phones are going to be tough to beat in the 3rd and 4th quarter.
tomweston713

Jul 13, 2004, 8:15 AM
i have had no problems with my v600, but then again i dont drop it, let it get wet, and i close the lid GENTLY, if people would follow those simple rules they too would probably have no problems with their moto phones. however yes the nokia 6820 is a fine phone.
phonepimp3376

Jul 13, 2004, 9:38 AM
My Moto V400 works great. No issues here.
Craftabc

Jul 13, 2004, 9:39 AM
Where do you live in NC, I live in Fayetteville
disturbed1

Jul 13, 2004, 1:46 PM
I just moved to Reidsville. It's insanely boring here though, I'll be happy if I can get this job sellin Cingular so I can afford to get out of the house a bit. I've been spending most of my weekends in Raleigh with my gf since I moved here....much more to do there.
Craftabc

Jul 13, 2004, 3:18 PM
Where in the hell is Reidsville. cause i have lived here all my life, and dont have a clue where that is.
disturbed1

Jul 13, 2004, 4:32 PM
😁 I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it. A lot of people haven't. It's in Rockingham County about 20 min. north of Greensboro. It's a VERY small town, only takes about ten minutes to get from city limit to city limit no matter what road you're on. Roughly about two and a half hours from you.
Craftabc

Jul 13, 2004, 4:46 PM
oh, ok. Have you ever heard of ABC phones. We are the largest indirect dealer in NC. We dont have a location in greensboro though
disturbed1

Jul 13, 2004, 8:51 PM
cant' say that I have, but then I've only been here about a month or so, and if there's not a location either here, Greensboro, or Raleigh I probably haven't been near enough to have heard.
Craftabc

Jul 14, 2004, 8:38 AM
oh, alright. where do you work
disturbed1

Jul 14, 2004, 1:37 PM
I've just interviewed with a company called Wireless World. It's a really small company (only five stores) that exclusively sells Cingular. The person who's supposed to be checking my references had a death in her family late last week, so how that's coming along I don't know. I've basically just been sittin here trying to get some info on whether I'll be starting there at all and if so when.

Otherwise I'm unemployed and hating it, trying to learn as much as I can about this business so I can present myself as a valuable asset.
Craftabc

Jul 14, 2004, 2:48 PM
If you basically learn the basics to Cingular and express that you have been studying up on it, you should be golden. just try and learn the different policies for them like how long you can try it out before you can take it back, Know that cingular uses GSM, and $240 dollar cancelation fee. and things like that, then you should be a lock for the job. Indirect dealers normally like hiring people that are good at sales, and dont have to be trained in little things like that. also, i would be extremely persistent. That lets them know that you will be good at following up on your sales.

Just some advice, Hope you get it
tomweston713

Jul 14, 2004, 2:53 PM
hey the best of luck to you, its a good business
disturbed1

Jul 14, 2004, 4:22 PM
Thanks a lot. Luckily I already impressed the hell out of her with that part at the interview. Aside from one guy who had worked with Verizon for 5 years (there are 4 positions up for grabs by the way) I was the only one who knew the diff. between CDMA and GSM. My problem is my references. The last job I had set me up with a local community college to be trained for a better job, said they'd pay for it and got me enrolled. After which they changed their minds, we had a bit of a tiff over that (obviously) and they came up with some b.s. excuse to fire me. So naturally they're not givin me a good work reference, and I was there so long that all the rest of the companies I've worked for in the past have either went bankrupt or changed man...
(continues)
Craftabc

Jul 14, 2004, 4:26 PM
Well, i think legaly they cant give you a bad reference. they have to say whether you did or did not work there. And i think all they can ask after that is whether or not you would be eligible for re-hiring. But if you already have experience in cell phones. you should still be good to go. Just tell them the truth, i have found that honesty is really the best policy.
disturbed1

Jul 14, 2004, 4:34 PM
yeah that's pretty much the way it goes, but when they lie and say that they wouldn't hire you back (when god knows they will) it doesn't help any. I've told em the truth and gave some references that I know will be good, but as far as I know they haven't tried/been able to contact them. The biggest thing is that I don't have any formal experience with cell phone sales. I just know my way around it enough to hang with those of you who do (most of the time).
85percent

Jul 14, 2004, 2:31 PM
daclaw112 said:

fine. go with them. just don't come crawling back to Verizon Wireless when you realize that Cingular has similar features as dog poop.

đŸ¤Ŗ

-Verizon Wireless Sales

CainMarko

Jul 14, 2004, 3:33 PM
Yeah. But with VZW, they sell you bull$h1+ for 39.99/month. đŸ¤Ŗ
85percent

Jul 14, 2004, 5:00 PM
CainMarko said:
Yeah. But with VZW, they sell you bull$h1+ for 39.99/month. đŸ¤Ŗ

bull$**** that works better than Cingular. ooooohh 😲
CainMarko

Jul 14, 2004, 8:21 PM
UM... did you watch 20/20 last friday? OOOOOOOHHHHHH 😲 😲 😲 😲

That was NYC, PAL. THE MOST DIFFICULT MARKET IN THE NATION TO GET SERVICE. Not that I'm in to what studies publish about services, but YOU seem to care alot about what they say. Mr. Consumer Reports. Lemme guess? Now you are going to change your tune about all the so called "studies" that say this service or that service is better? I'm sure you'll find a way to "debunk" the INDEPENDENT study that they conducted in NYC. How can you "HEAR ME NOW" when that VZW phone is shoved so far up your đŸ˜ŗ ?
DragonFire

Jul 14, 2004, 10:20 PM
I'll be moving to Long Island, New York, area codes are 516 and 631. I'll be doing business there, the whole 110 miles of the lenght of the island. Can someone tell me who has the best coverage there? Thanks 🙂
LamborghiniGT

Jul 15, 2004, 1:37 AM
i have no factual info 2 provide, but cingular is technically the largest wireless carrier by atleast 7-10 plus percent; as they suppost 2 incorporate at&t's coverage aswell as thier portion of the gsm coverage. however at current its possible that verison is ahead of the game due 2 cingular goin thru its big fix.

mjn
CainMarko

Jul 15, 2004, 12:13 PM
well, 20/20 just did a special on cellphones in the NYC area... cingular came out on top with regards to phone reception and call quality. that's just one study, tho. But cingular does have good signal in NYC and is going to get better with the merger.
shagVZW

Jul 15, 2004, 1:08 PM
damn cain do you wanna marry 20/20 or what?? seriously is the press when are they right about anything??
phonepimp3376

Jul 15, 2004, 3:57 PM
Consumer Reports is the press, too...can we throw out your glowing report with them because they are never right about anything? LOL
muchdrama

Jul 15, 2004, 5:33 PM
phonepimp3376 said:
Consumer Reports is the press, too...can we throw out your glowing report with them because they are never right about anything? LOL
As soon as you let us Verizon weenies throw out that 20/20 thing.
VZWCustServ

Jul 15, 2004, 6:04 PM
Bah, Consumer reports would SO whip 20/20 in a mud-wrestling match.
muchdrama

Jul 15, 2004, 6:43 PM
VZWCustServ said:
Bah, Consumer reports would SO whip 20/20 in a mud-wrestling match.
I'd like to see Cain and Pimp in a mud wrestling match. Yeah!
CainMarko

Jul 15, 2004, 9:19 PM
UM.. no. Freaks.

I would be impressive tho 😉 I'm 6'5" about 295 lbs. I look like a wrestler. đŸ¤Ŗ

But in response to the 20/20 question... no. i really don't take ANY of those studies TOO seriously, i just bring it up to antagonize the VZW guys who always talk about Consumer Reports. But I TOTALLY believe that the NYC market is the most important in the nation. More money is generated in that market, then any other and then some. That is THE place in the world that NEEDS and LIVES by wireless services. That paticular study showed that Cingular was the best in NYC. That's pretty cool in my book. Not to disrespect any other city, but who friggin cares if VZW is number one rated in chattanooga,tn or madison,wisconsin... if you are...
(continues)
muchdrama

Jul 15, 2004, 11:57 PM
CainMarko said:
UM.. no. Freaks.

I would be impressive tho 😉 I'm 6'5" about 295 lbs. I look like a wrestler. đŸ¤Ŗ

But in response to the 20/20 question... no. i really don't take ANY of those studies TOO seriously, i just bring it up to antagonize the VZW guys who always talk about Consumer Reports. But I TOTALLY believe that the NYC market is the most important in the nation. More money is generated in that market, then any other and then some. That is THE place in the world that NEEDS and LIVES by wireless services. That paticular study showed that Cingular was the best in NYC. That's pretty cool in my book. Not to disrespect any other city, but who friggin cares if VZW is number one rated in chattanooga,t
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jul 16, 2004, 10:57 AM
Actually, for both would be my guess. I deal with a lot of folks that travel regularly between Boston and NYC, and from what they say VZW's service is deteriorating badly in NYC. Probably has to do with so many customers trying to access the existing network there. Cingular has been very agressively developing the area, as well as the New England markets.

One of my customers told me he used to get awesome VZW service at the Port Authority, and before coming on board with us was barely able to complete a call in the same area he got 4-5 bars a year ago.

This is not a bash, but what I hear from those who use their phones there.
TheVZWMan

Jul 16, 2004, 11:38 AM
well if that the case I'm glad we spent all that money over 900 million to buy more spectrum in the area...hehehe...can't keep losing our customers to you Phone Pimp
phonepimp3376

Jul 18, 2004, 9:48 AM
Sure you can... I won't tell 😉
CainMarko

Jul 20, 2004, 2:00 PM
yeah i just read the article where vzw was awarded the spectrum from an auction of nextwave's assetts. they will get more spectrum in nyc and jersey. metro pcs also won some of their spectrum. i just hope someone acts like vzw did when the fcc awarded spectrum to nextel... "we don't like it.. we're going to sue đŸ˜ĸ ☚ī¸ đŸ˜ĸ"

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.