Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 53 replies

The Latest on the Cingular Acquisition of AWS...

aws_chris

Jun 6, 2004, 8:30 PM
Things are progressing smoothly. Currently, the government and securities exchange commission are conducting the anti-trust investigation. Cingular and AWS want the deal to close in October this year, but, with the current information we have, it probably won't until the very end of the year, because of the government's time tables involved.

For those of you expecting an immediate change, it won't happen. It will be well into 2005 before everyone's bills say Cingular, and before everything AT&T turns Cingular. Remember, since we are combining 22 million and 25 million customers per each carrier, this transition is not instantaneous.

As for rollover and plans, Cingular may decide to adopt some of our AWS policies. We simply don't k...
(continues)
VZWCustServ

Jun 6, 2004, 9:16 PM
Nah, We here at verizon are sending out NINJAs to convert all of Nextel's towers to CDMA. Combine that with the Coastal Cell Bouys that will provied coverage over %100 of the populated atlantic ocean including The Lost City Atlantis and Captain Nemo's sub and we'll still have the best coverage. Also, 100% of the population of Neptun have just requested that they all port their numbers over to us. VZW will have 20 trillion customers by 2006.
GWFOX

Jun 7, 2004, 12:07 PM
Keep in mind that alot of the spectrum that ATTWS and Cingular owns will have to be sold off or released.

You know how much it would cost in maintenance alone to have that much redundancy? 😲

Granted Cing may end up having the biggest customer base but that in NO WAY means they will be the best. To maintain a customer base of that size Cing will have to re-train all their ATTWS CSR's and to recruit new ones. That always leads to trouble.

Also that many customers all of a sudden may end up gaving the SprintPCS problem of "We're sorry but the network is full. Please try your call again"

Just because you have the biggest customer base through a merger/buy out does not mean that you are the best. Again its prob not until 2k5 when a...
(continues)
muchdrama

Jun 7, 2004, 2:14 PM
GWFOX said:

Just because you have the biggest customer base through a merger/buy out does not mean that you are the best. Again its prob not until 2k5 when all is said and done. Thats a long time from now.
Uh, Fox, even though Chris and I don't always see eye to eye, he didn't mention the eventual combination of Cingular and ATTWS as having the best network...just the largest with the most subscribers.
aws_chris

Jun 8, 2004, 8:19 PM
All you said does apply, but honestly, and I hate to break it to you, but AT&T Wireless is the best in my opinion right now, but I didn't always feel that way. I have dealt with Sprint PCS and Verizon in the past, and all my experiences with AT&T have been better, including pricing, coverage, data access speeds, etc. I guess it'll always come down to where we live.....
muchdrama

Jun 9, 2004, 2:51 PM
aws_chris said:
All you said does apply, but honestly, and I hate to break it to you, but AT&T Wireless is the best in my opinion right now, but I didn't always feel that way. I have dealt with Sprint PCS and Verizon in the past, and all my experiences with AT&T have been better, including pricing, coverage, data access speeds, etc. I guess it'll always come down to where we live.....
Very true. Down here near Miami (South Florida) just about every carrier has excellent coverage. Move a little north, and all of a sudden Verizon jumps to the forefront. Go even further (like, say, Gainesville) and Tmobile offers kickass coverage. It all depends.
chris_lt1

Jun 9, 2004, 5:31 PM
aws_chris said:

I cant seem to remember.....who had the highest rate of complaints to the FCC last year???
TheVZWMan

Jul 10, 2004, 12:59 AM
chris_lt1 said:
aws_chris said:

I cant seem to remember.....who had the highest rate of complaints to the FCC last year???

I believe it was Sprint...but don't quote me on it
phonejerk

Jun 9, 2004, 5:34 PM
aws_chris said:

Well of course you say that, you obviously work for AT&T. But, I am a sales rep that sells them all at&t, verizon, cingular, nextel, sprint, and t-mobile. I have a rep for each carrier that has given me a phone to use. By far VZW is the best coverage wise. at&t does not even compare (took national road trip). Granted som...
(continues)
aws_chris

Jun 10, 2004, 6:53 PM
No in all reality I do really think they are great, and its not because I work for them. I honestly don't blame any of our customers for leaving us because of our system issues, which seem to be sparking again. I personally, and from what many others have told me, feel that the coverage is great. I would love to switch back to Sprint, but their coverage is mediocre. And as far as FCC complaints, sorry LNP rolled out and AT&T purchased a piece of sh*t system. That is why the lawsuit against Deloitte and Touche is taking place! At this point in time, we can't control what happens anymore. All I know is that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's BRIGHT ORANGE!
kingfrog77

Jun 11, 2004, 3:09 PM
Well as a current M2M customer of ATTWS and a contract customer for 8 or so years, I have to say ATT CS has gone downhill with coverage issues (Im TDMA). I never upgraded to GSM because in Las Vegas anyway many ATT customers are unhappy with the ATT GSM coverage there. I waited for LNP to switch and now that it is here I'm researching other carriers including Cingular. I suspected ATT would take the biggest LNP hit and was correct.

The merger has given me pause though as Cingular will be selling assets out there to T Mobile and since the remaining ATT GSM assets are not good enough...well you can understand my hesitation. I have never hung up a call from ATT CS without feeling good until recently. I would have gone to Verizon except I wa...
(continues)
chris_lt1

Jun 11, 2004, 6:13 PM
kingfrog77 said:
I would have gone to Verizon except I was turned of by their Sales reps arrogance when questioning them about service and pricing.

Yeah thats it, dont go with Verizon because of the sales rep that is confident in his product and whom you'll only see once in your life 🙄
kingfrog77

Jun 11, 2004, 6:29 PM
HUGE difference between confidance and arrogance look it up son.......but then again you just proved my point!
chris_lt1

Jun 12, 2004, 12:22 PM
kingfrog77 said:
HUGE difference between confidance and arrogance look it up son.......but then again you just proved my point!

arrogance is all in your own head, it may come accross as arrogance to you (which is your opinion, not fact) but if the person you're speaking to actually believes in everything he's telling you, then he's confident not arrogant......pops
kingfrog77

Jun 12, 2004, 4:45 PM
If it comes across that way, it is so, and a fact.

If a person believes in his truth he is indeed confidant, but when that truth is questioned...Confidance turns into arrogance which reveals the lack of confidance in the first place.
Arrogant people are not confidant! Their arrogance is used to cover up the lack of confidance...
Two different displays of personality......that are ay opposite ends of definition.

But alas, son, you do know it all....

-pops
chris_lt1

Jun 12, 2004, 5:07 PM
kingfrog77 said:
If it comes across that way, it is so, and a fact.

If a person believes in his truth he is indeed confidant, but when that truth is questioned...Confidance turns into arrogance which reveals the lack of confidance in the first place.
Arrogant people are not confidant! Their arrogance is used to cover up the lack of confidance...
Two different displays of personality......that are ay opposite ends of definition.

But alas, son, you do know it all....

-pops

all this preaching coming from a person who talks a bunch of trash about a company before he even has the facts about them, let alone uses their services for the 15 days they offer to try their service. Then in a matter of ...
(continues)
aws_chris

Jun 12, 2004, 6:21 PM
Well, pops and chrislt, I do think that you have drawn this out enough. Honestly, let's admit it, maybe the sales rep was arrogant, but needless to say, that may not be so for all Verizon reps, I have met quite a few nice ones in my time who are confident with their product, as they should be! If you work for a company and do not support them, you shouldn't be working for them! If you do support them, then more power to you for standing behind something you believe in!

Pops, I understand your frustration with the rep, and chrislt, please understand that you can lose interest in a company even if one person does act arrogant, one time! One person can make or break a company's reputation by the way they treat a potential customer, we al...
(continues)
TinyJ316

Jun 12, 2004, 4:01 PM
if they were a good sales rep, wouldn't you want to come and see them again later when your contract is up to get a new phone?
Wired in Vegas

Jun 30, 2004, 7:12 PM
Kingfrog77, feel free to get in touch with me about Verizon service. I'm a retail rep for them in Vegas; just reply to this and I'll get in touch with you.
CainMarko

Jul 1, 2004, 4:59 PM
kingfrog77 said:
The "free" roaming is a joke amongst GSM providers as free roaming really seems to mean NO signal at all with which to roam! I'd rather pay for roaming when I need it rather than NOT have to option at all!!!

There is no incentive to remain with ATT at all. I cannot think of one reason nor could customer service provide me with one this time when recently calling them for the 5th time in 8 years about renewal options first.

Well, actually it's a joke with cdma as well. to get VZW's complete nation you need a triband phone that picks up ANALOG signals. Other than that, you will be on VZW's small all digital network which isn't as big as they claim. MOST of VZW's claimed larger network is...
(continues)
Manwithastick

Jul 4, 2004, 2:54 PM
Few months your problems will be worse in a year or two then it will be awesome unless someone really messes up
CainMarko

Jul 6, 2004, 2:46 PM
that's odd... cingular has a record of seemless mergers. you don't seem to understand that the merger will be a long process and won't be rushed.
tomweston713

Jul 7, 2004, 12:36 PM
i agree, maybe by year end it will go thru
85percent

Jul 8, 2004, 1:24 AM
CainMarko said:
kingfrog77 said:
The "free" roaming is a joke amongst GSM providers as free roaming really seems to mean NO signal at all with which to roam! I'd rather pay for roaming when I need it rather than NOT have to option at all!!!

There is no incentive to remain with ATT at all. I cannot think of one reason nor could customer service provide me with one this time when recently calling them for the 5th time in 8 years about renewal options first.

Well, actually it's a joke with cdma as well. to get VZW's complete nation you need a triband phone that picks up ANALOG signals. Other than that, you will be on VZW's small all digital network which isn't as big as they claim. MOS
(continues)
CainMarko

Jul 8, 2004, 7:47 AM
Yeah i have seen VZW's all digital network and it it VERY SMALL AND VERY PATHETIC. Cingular's GSM network is larger. Yeah VZW has a larger "calling area", but vzw owns little more than half of the network they use. Sprint and other regional CDMA carriers own the rest. You seem pretty confident that VZW can turn a 13% world market share(less than that actually, because CDMA actually is 13 % and VZW composes less than half of that) into more than it is... Not to mention the fact that you keep claiming to be number one based on Cingulars old stuff. Cingular's Nation GSM deployment has been in effect since December 2003. The nationwide launch of gsm plans went official on 02/01/04. You keep claiming you have won when you have just started to com...
(continues)
Frosty007

Jul 8, 2004, 1:45 PM
I dont wish misfortune on anyone....but i think i would chuckle if 85percent got laid off from his precious Verizon....maybe he would be a bit pissed at them then
phonepimp3376

Jul 9, 2004, 11:32 AM
Is it just me, or does 85 percent remind anyone else of Gollum from LOTR? 'Verizon, my PRECIOUS! Steal it back from the false,tricksey GSMers'
TheVZWMan

Jul 10, 2004, 1:05 AM
phonepimp3376 said:
Is it just me, or does 85 percent remind anyone else of Gollum from LOTR? 'Verizon, my PRECIOUS! Steal it back from the false,tricksey GSMers'

I sincerely hope that 85 percent does not work for the same company I do, he is very arrogant...granted in the entire world GSM has a corner on the market, some in part to it being mandated in Europe, but there are alot of other places in the world where there is a choice between CDMA and GSM and they're not too far apart from what I've seen. Phonepimp will back me me up on this when I say that both CDMA and GSM both have their pros and cons and neither network is God...so why all the arguments...can't we all just get along
CainMarko

Jul 10, 2004, 2:49 AM
Why the arguments? It's pretty obvious... The future of WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY in the US is going to be decided in the next 5-8 years. Anymore questions?
TheVZWMan

Jul 10, 2004, 10:09 AM
yeah, is there anything you, yourself, are able to do in the next 5-8 years to make that decision? Who comes out on top? I don't think so, you are puny compared to the entire spectrum. So I say let's just sit back and do OUR jobs and see what happens!
CainMarko

Jul 10, 2004, 10:58 PM
Actually there is... I can provide the best service, and the best technology. I can also determine what kind of plans we should offer for my customers. You can do YOUR job and I will do MY JOB. I WORK for CINGULAR, remember? And i TOTALLY DISAGREE about sitting back. I for one will not be sitting back at all. I will be busy for the next 5-8 years until I am able to retire with the knowledge that I helped in the creation of the best wireless company in the US. If you look back I DIDN'T START THIS DEBATE. A VZW EMPLOYEE STARTED THE TRASH TALKING. I just got tired of seeing yet ANOTHER VZW employee talking out of their ass. I DO AGREE that we have better things to do than sit and debate what will happen in the next 5-8 years as far as what the ...
(continues)
muchdrama

Jul 11, 2004, 11:57 AM
CainMarko said:
Actually there is... I can provide the best service, and the best technology. I can also determine what kind of plans we should offer for my customers. You can do YOUR job and I will do MY JOB. I WORK for CINGULAR, remember? And i TOTALLY DISAGREE about sitting back. I for one will not be sitting back at all. I will be busy for the next 5-8 years until I am able to retire with the knowledge that I helped in the creation of the best wireless company in the US. If you look back I DIDN'T START THIS DEBATE. A VZW EMPLOYEE STARTED THE TRASH TALKING. I just got tired of seeing yet ANOTHER VZW employee talking out of their ass. I DO AGREE that we have better things to do than sit and debate what will happen in th
(continues)
CainMarko

Jul 11, 2004, 12:18 PM
I'm technically not in sales. But yeah, in about 5-8 years maybe 10, because of my investment(Some Cingular Related, Some Not Cingular related) decisions I'll be able to retire. When I do retire, I'm hoping all my hardwork will have helped keep Cingular in the number 1 spot.
muchdrama

Jul 11, 2004, 1:26 PM
CainMarko said:
I'm technically not in sales. But yeah, in about 5-8 years maybe 10, because of my investment(Some Cingular Related, Some Not Cingular related) decisions I'll be able to retire. When I do retire, I'm hoping all my hardwork will have helped keep Cingular in the number 1 spot.
More power to you, brother. Good luck.
Bustergirl08

Jul 3, 2004, 3:08 AM
If you are ever in Colorado I would love to sell you Verizon.... or I will be in Vegas to get Married in Aug and I could pencil you in. 😁 I hope you are able to find the help you need and a honest Rep to sell it to you! My company is only in UT, CO, AZ, and HI so far but we hope to be there soon. Take care and good luck
CainMarko

Jul 1, 2004, 4:29 PM
phonejerk said:
Well of course you say that, you obviously work for AT&T. But, I am a sales rep that sells them all at&t, verizon, cingular, nextel, sprint, and t-mobile. I have a rep for each carrier that has given me a phone to use. By far VZW is the best coverage wise. at&t does not even compare (took national road trip). Granted some areas one carrier works better than the other, but overall VZW worked the best. Not to mention at&t having the worst ranked customer service.

That's interesting, because the only people who say that VZW is the most reliable is VZW. There are several reports from magazines and the like who also state that VZW is the best BUT THEY USE INFORMATION FROM VZW'S "CAN YOU ...
(continues)
coldsteel

Jul 1, 2004, 4:46 PM
And here's a bitter loser...

In February, Cingular engaged in an exciting bidding battle against Vodafone to acquire AT&T Wireless. Cingular won that battle at the 11th hour with our $41 billion bid and walked away with the opportunity to become the number 1 wireless carrier in the U.S.

In an interview published in the July 12 issue of Fortune magazine, Vodafone CEO Arun Sarin offered the following comments: "So the auction happened, and we were outbid. Now you have two relatively weak players that have decided to get married. It's a field day for Verizon Wireless."

Cingular's reaction? CEO Stan Sigman: "I hope they continue to underestimate us."
CainMarko

Jul 1, 2004, 5:01 PM
HAHAHA! I almost posted that myself. 🤣 Stan is the MAN! Relatively weak? Cingular has never been weak at anything. Just more of the typical VZW "hide your head in a hole and they'll go away" approach.
AGENT DEBIT

Jul 2, 2004, 12:10 AM
phonejerk,don't take it personal,but reps like you i really hate,not you personaly but all 3rd party vendors, i spend half y day,with stories how third party vendors sell them a great deal on the phone,then add every commaionable item on their plan,then don't tell them,and when the customer goes back to your location blame ATT and we have to clean up that sh@t.
sherryberry

Jun 20, 2004, 9:37 PM
Actually, I've had tons of complaints from customers about AT&T... just shady stuff that AT&T wasn't clear about when they offered it to them. I had a customer who was like No AT&T and no SBC.

So far, I've heard nothing good from people going in and out of the stores. And I usually work at wireless retail.. where they have almost every carrier. And by the way, when I went down to college at U of I.. which is a huge campus, I found that AT&T wouldn't work there at all... and later, while it did work down there, there were roaming charges. And while pretty much every carrier worked down there, AT&T didn't... which kind of sucks for them because a ton of people goes to that school. Yeah, just my 2 cents
aws_chris

Jun 8, 2004, 8:17 PM
Some people just have nothing nice to say. Sorry you are just a winner like that. At least I am not in fairy land.
muchdrama

Jun 9, 2004, 2:52 PM
aws_chris said:
Some people just have nothing nice to say. Sorry you are just a winner like that. At least I am not in fairy land.
You know, there's something to be said about fairy land.
tryptophanatic

Jun 26, 2004, 2:28 PM
VZWCustServ said:
Nah, We here at verizon are sending out NINJAs to convert all of Nextel's towers to CDMA. Combine that with the Coastal Cell Bouys that will provied coverage over %100 of the populated atlantic ocean including The Lost City Atlantis and Captain Nemo's sub and we'll still have the best coverage. Also, 100% of the population of Neptun have just requested that they all port their numbers over to us. VZW will have 20 trillion customers by 2006.

🤣 🤣 🤣
this is the funniest damned thing i have read all day
phonepimp3376

Jun 28, 2004, 10:53 AM
And don't forget all those abandoned "Star Wars" satellites left over from the Reagan era you're converting... you remember those, the cell satellites/laser enforcement weapons? You WILL hear us now or we'll slice your country in half!
TinyJ316

Jun 12, 2004, 4:04 PM
While at work today I was on the phone with Cingular CS, and the lady said that they (she?) were 100% sure that the merger would be completed by October 10, 2004... 🙂
SPCSVZWJeff

Jun 21, 2004, 6:43 PM
It's up for grabs as to whether the combined Cingular/ATTWS will be larger than Verizon. Add the growth rates of the combined companies they are not even half of the growth rate of Verizon. Also The new company will probably be forced by the FCC, the FTC or the DOJ to shed licenses in markets where ATTWS and Cingular competed. For Cingular to Whine about needing 80 MHZ of spectrum in order to support their 3G strategy is ludicrous. Give them the same 30 MHZ that everyone else gets and call it good! VZW was forced to shed licenses where it owned 2 in a market. Cingular picked some pretty good real estate at fire sale prices from VZW back then.

It's not the FCC's fault or the rest of the industry's fault that Cingular chose a bandwidth hun...
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jun 22, 2004, 3:23 PM
Well, gee, for such screwups they sure give VZW a run for their money, considering how much longer Verizon has had to build customer base. Not to mention, when VZW had to shed spectrum, things were much different in wireless than they are today. Quit whining about how we sucked up juicy spectrum from you and dump all that problematic AMPS coverage that makes people wonder where their features will work. If CDMA is so wonderful, why can't Sprint make it work? Fix your data offerings so people can use them for more than just a novelty. Get some phones that are CURRENT, for goodness sakes. Hype and arrogance only get you so far.
SPCSVZWJeff

Jun 23, 2004, 5:28 PM
Check the stats my friend and you will see that Sprint's dropped call rate is the lowest in the industry. GSM operators worldwide see their dropped call rate as an alarming issue. As far as AMPS is concerned doesn't Cingular still have TDMA (known as Too Dumb to Move Ahead)? That is nothing more than time dividing an AMPS channel? My post is about the potential for the FCC to give Cingular a position that is not equitable because of their route to 3G. The only thing that would make it equitable would be to give everyone 80 MHZ. in an auction. I'm sorry but Cingular is not so special that they should get such a competitive advantage that their competition cannot have by law. This would give Cingular enough bandwidth that they would never go ...
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jun 25, 2004, 11:17 AM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
Check the stats my friend and you will see that Sprint's dropped call rate is the lowest in the industry. GSM operators worldwide see their dropped call rate as an alarming issue. As far as AMPS is concerned doesn't Cingular still have TDMA (known as Too Dumb to Move Ahead)? That is nothing more than time dividing an AMPS channel? My post is about the potential for the FCC to give Cingular a position that is not equitable because of their route to 3G. The only thing that would make it equitable would be to give everyone 80 MHZ. in an auction. I'm sorry but Cingular is not so special that they should get such a competitive advantage that their competition cannot have by law. This would give Cingular enou
(continues)
SPCSVZWJeff

Jun 25, 2004, 6:03 PM
Sorry about being unclear. I was speaking of the future Cingular component, ATTWS which is the one I will compete with here in Oregon.
They have built far fewer towers in the NW than any other provider, in some markets they have not built a new tower so their coverage is essentially the same as it was when they acquired the market from McCaw. The only improvement is the GSM overlay which because towers were spaced for AMPS 800MHZ and their GSM is 1900 MHZ creates massive holes in the network, including big ones in Portland, Seattle, Tacoma, Eugene, and Olympia. 90% of our ports are from ATTWS for the reason of dropped calls, poor overall coverage and bad sound quality. It doesn't seem to matter whether the customer is GSM or TDMA. When Ci...
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jun 26, 2004, 6:21 AM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
Sorry about being unclear. I was speaking of the future Cingular component, ATTWS which is the one I will compete with here in Oregon.
They have built far fewer towers in the NW than any other provider, in some markets they have not built a new tower so their coverage is essentially the same as it was when they acquired the market from McCaw. The only improvement is the GSM overlay which because towers were spaced for AMPS 800MHZ and their GSM is 1900 MHZ creates massive holes in the network, including big ones in Portland, Seattle, Tacoma, Eugene, and Olympia. 90% of our ports are from ATTWS for the reason of dropped calls, poor overall coverage and bad sound quality. It doesn't seem to matter whethe
(continues)
muchdrama

Jun 26, 2004, 8:14 AM
simplymarcus said:
SPCSVZWJeff said:
They have built far fewer towers in the NW than any other provider, in some markets they have not built a new tower so their coverage is essentially the same as it was when they acquired the market from McCaw. The only improvement is the GSM overlay which because towers were spaced for AMPS 800MHZ and their GSM is 1900 MHZ creates massive holes in the network, including big ones in Portland, Seattle, Tacoma, Eugene, and Olympia. 90% of our ports are from ATTWS for the reason of dropped calls, poor overall coverage and bad sound qu
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jun 26, 2004, 11:09 AM
Oh, btw... Cingular has no postpaid TDMA... GSM overlay is complete.
phonepimp3376

Jun 22, 2004, 3:27 PM
And let's be honest, what applications does VZW have planned for all this "blazing fast on paper" EV-DO strategy? Maybe 2% of the users will even use it. Cingular's approach is a little different, develop the need WHILE developing the speed. What good is a sports car if you only have a 5 MPH zone to drive it in? Wow, I can get a ringtone 1/10th of a second faster...lol. I would have thought your PTT rollover-and-die would have made you see the folly of rushing to the punch. Guess not.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.