Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Cingular questions

CarbonQueen

Oct 3, 2005, 2:02 PM
Hello everybody!

I currently have a contract with Cellular One with another year to go. However, I am not very happy with customer service or my phone. I am considering buying out my contract and switching to Cingular.

I know that Cingular and Cellular One use the same GSM technology, but I have also heard rumors about Cingular switching/upgrading their technology. Can someone please clarify that for me?

Also, I've heard rumors about Cingular introducing a push to talk service, can anybody tell me when this is supposed to begin? Any news about a fee for it?

I'm thinking of going with the Nokia 6102 if I do go. I've always had great luck with Nokia phones, hopefully their clamshell designs will be as good as the flat ones.

(continues)
chicorazon

Oct 3, 2005, 8:47 PM
Cingular is sticking with GSM, trying to move away from the 850 bandwith and more toward the 1900 though I've heard. Cingular is in the works of developing "push-to-talk" on a few phones, its supposed to be released by the end of the year but time is running short lmao. The problem is that the push-to-talk will, chances are, not be compatible with its Nextel and Verizon counterparts, thus rendering it rather pointless. I know that Verizon has had very little luck selling their PTT technology because it only works with other Verizon customers that have the PTT feature, and since nobody has it, nobody wants it. Vicious cycle, and we're kind of anticipating the same thing here at Cingular. I think it's mainly to piss off Nextel and maintain our...
(continues)
AshDizzle

Oct 3, 2005, 9:22 PM
Cingular is stick with GSM, however UMTS will start to be implemented here and there.

I have faith in our PTT service. If they make every single phone in the future PTT capable, then it will become popular.

I think that is part of Verizon PTT's downfall, not all of their phones have it! What is your option, a V60p? Come on. If you expect people to use the service, you need the hardware.

Rumor has it we will have 2 push-to-talk phones that support come the release of PTT. I will be buying one of them for sure, same with my friend. It will be amazing.
rootherb

Oct 6, 2005, 8:27 AM
PTT will launch on 11/10/05 in th Boston market which includes Maine & NH. It will probably launch nationwide that same day. We have a couple of LG7200 phones that we won at the PTT meeting in MA earlier this week.

In case anyone cares UMTS towers seem to be lit up here in Maine. According to the Cingular's MTi Map Tool it shows UMTS towers working in Maine. Too bad we are unable to get a hold of any 3G handsets.
acervantes01

Oct 6, 2005, 6:42 PM
We should launch on the West Coast on 10-15-2005.
colione112

Oct 6, 2005, 11:31 PM
it was delayed nationwide until the first two wks of nov. 2 handsets at launch, lg f7200 and samsung d357, both on phonescoop. Of course, you'll need at least 2 phones to make it work so look for a buy one get one deal.

We are sticking with the GSM tech, while upgrading to UMTS(basically the internet).

The PTT is based on kodiak, meaning it's platform based and will work with any carrier using it. (now to convince other's this is better).

There is about a 7second delay to sign onto the service, but after that it's almost instantanious.

It will be 9.99 per line, or 19.99 per family group.
Vox Dei

Oct 11, 2005, 9:06 PM
If your using Kodiak it's a pretty good system. We use it up here in canada. We run both CDMA and an IDEN network and run the Kodiak platform for CDMA PTT. It's not as fast as IDEN but if you've never used IDEN you won't notice the difference.
Hello Moto

Oct 10, 2005, 8:47 PM
rootherb said:
In case anyone cares UMTS towers seem to be lit up here in Maine. According to the Cingular's MTi Map Tool it shows UMTS towers working in Maine. Too bad we are unable to get a hold of any 3G handsets.

Sorry to break it to you, but what you are seeing is former att tdma towers... they are showing up in mti as umts in error due to a coding issue... sorry. check csp for the umts launch schedule.
Hello Moto

Oct 10, 2005, 8:52 PM
chicorazon said:
Cingular is sticking with GSM, trying to move away from the 850 bandwith and more toward the 1900 though I've heard.

Not true at all. Look at our west coast markets. we gained A LOT of 850 spectrum from ATT and we are ending our 1900 agreements with tmobile to utilize the 850 out there. also, with all of our tdma markets we are picking which network is stronger and doing away with the other, like in Houston, which ever tdma network is stronger, we are decommissioning the other, unless one is 850, and it stays. 850 is not being phased out by no means.
mistermarler

Oct 11, 2005, 11:59 AM
;) YEAH. my favorite thing to say to people with verizon phones who try to show it off to me for some feature is, "man that is cool, but can it do GSM?! hahahahahaha." take that take that. and we're not losing 850, in fact our adaption of it has made trash mobile move over too it as well. and so help me God will someone please step on Ted Turner before he tries to ruin the phone industry like he almost did with professional wrestling ;) haha.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.