Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 19 replies

sprint/nextel merger

JGreen

Apr 29, 2004, 1:27 PM
i saw the other threads about various possible mergers, but there was no direct answer. i would like to hear anybody's opinion but what i'm REALLY looking for is a DIRECT ANSWER as to whether or not this could really happen
SLIM

Apr 29, 2004, 2:47 PM
i dont see that ever happening they work on two completly diffrent techolniges i would be really supprized! Slim/attws/ssg
muchdrama

Apr 29, 2004, 3:36 PM
SLIM said:
i dont see that ever happening they work on two completly diffrent techolniges i would be really supprized! Slim/attws/ssg

I don't see it happening as a merger, but as a Nextel buyout of Sprint. Nextel looks like it's possibly switching over to CDMA...and Sprint's CDMA network would definitely give them an inroad to that goal.
papito1

Apr 29, 2004, 4:07 PM
The only connection I can see is that Nextel has for a long time had the walkie talkie style communication. Now Sprint is also offering that same type of walkie talkie thing, they call it ReadyLink. Perhaps someone made a reference to these two similar modes.
mobilegabe

Apr 29, 2004, 4:26 PM
I read a wireless industry magazine about 6 month's ago when I was triing to start my own chain of Verizon Wireless indirect's and I read that Nextel was planning on going WCDMA, maybe someone jumped to conclusions as I find many young wireless fanatics about knowing something others don't and started that rumor. 🙂 (just registered after using this site for almost three years)
muchdrama

Apr 29, 2004, 7:24 PM
mobilegabe said:
I read a wireless industry magazine about 6 month's ago when I was triing to start my own chain of Verizon Wireless indirect's and I read that Nextel was planning on going WCDMA, maybe someone jumped to conclusions as I find many young wireless fanatics about knowing something others don't and started that rumor. 🙂 (just registered after using this site for almost three years)

Well, seeing as they've made no upgrade yet, you very well could be right about the WCDMA. But I'm still thinking they'll go with CDMA...otherwise why corner the Qchat protocol?
mmdstech

Apr 29, 2004, 8:01 PM
Great point. I think at the time two years ago when they bought the rights from Qualcomm,they didn't want there competition to get it's hands on this product. The landscape would be very different in VZW and or SPCS used Qchat. This could be the only reason they bought it, or they intend to someday overlay with CDMA. 🙂
muchdrama

Apr 30, 2004, 3:08 PM
mmdstech said:
Great point. I think at the time two years ago when they bought the rights from Qualcomm,they didn't want there competition to get it's hands on this product. The landscape would be very different in VZW and or SPCS used Qchat. This could be the only reason they bought it, or they intend to someday overlay with CDMA. 🙂

Nextel's business and popularity is based entirely on its push to talk feature. I think we can all agree that their cellular service quality isn't the best. I think Nextel saw that if VZW or Sprint got ahold of the Qchat protocol...they'd be in big damn trouble. So, like a smart company would, they snatched up the rights to Qchat...assuring that VZW and Sprint would have to ru...
(continues)
macman

Jun 10, 2004, 9:06 AM
Yep, VZW and Sprint had both been using QChat in some of their pilots of PTT, but hadn't signed a long term deal with Qualcomm because they wanted to keep looking at other vendors. Nextel saw a chance to yank the QChat rug out from under them and did.

Of equal, or perhaps greater benefit, was that Nextel acquired not just the domestic right to QChat, but the international as well. So if a carrier in Australia wants to use QChat, they have to negotiate not only with Qualcomm, nut Nextel as well.

A domestic merger of Sprint and Nextel would be major culture clash. Plus Sprints not very attractive with their "me too" products and their really bad financial picture.
muchdrama

Jun 10, 2004, 10:13 AM
macman said:

A domestic merger of Sprint and Nextel would be major culture clash. Plus Sprints not very attractive with their "me too" products and their really bad financial picture.
I think Nextel's thinking would be "instant CDMA network", especially since they're having a hard time getting PCS spectrum.
muchdrama

Apr 29, 2004, 7:22 PM
papito1 said:
The only connection I can see is that Nextel has for a long time had the walkie talkie style communication. Now Sprint is also offering that same type of walkie talkie thing, they call it ReadyLink. Perhaps someone made a reference to these two similar modes.

The push to talk solutions these two companies offer have nothing to do with one another. I was referring to the fact that when Nextel gets around to upgrading its network to what I believe will be CDMA, Sprint could be a target for them (because of their nationwide CDMA network already in place). Also, Nextel would be able to roll out its Qchat CDMA push to talk solution it's been sitting on.
mmdstech

Apr 29, 2004, 7:58 PM
There not similar modes.
JGreen

Apr 29, 2004, 3:46 PM
i know they operate on completely different systems, but i also heard that nextel is trying to switch to CDMA, also i heard this from someone in the cell biz, so i thought someone in the biz might have some inside info, that's the only reason i gave it any credibility at all
phillipd

May 2, 2004, 3:53 PM
True, however they could have a company similar to Telus Mobility in Canada.

They have a CDMA service called "Digital PCS", and a iDEN service call "Mike"
nextel18

May 2, 2004, 7:59 PM
i actually do think there should be a nextel sprint merger.. becuase sprint has mmds spectrum and nextel has mmds spectrum.. and i dont think sprint wants to wait till 2006 to deploy ev dv when they can roll out high speed data together with nextel and flarion nationwide with the spectrum that they have.

and maybe do something with qchat .. unless nextel can do wimax or flarion nationwide themselves then they wouldnt merge with sprint pcs
Rich Brome

Apr 30, 2004, 12:55 AM
It's a possibility. Nextel has been thinking about moving to CDMA for some time. Also, Sprint has excess spectrum capacity that would fit nicely with Nextel's customer base.

While a lot of people talk about QChat, one aspect of it that most people don't realize is that QChat requires 1xRTT revision A... Sprint only has 1xRTT revision 0, and so far their announced plans are to jump straight to EV-DV.

In the end, it comes down to Nextel being in bad position. Their iDEN technology is not going to provide a viable option for 3G - they know they have to move to something else (like CDMA) sooner or later. And worse, the government will soon force them to move to different spectrum. With those challenges ahead of them, it must be very...
(continues)
JGreen

May 2, 2004, 1:31 PM
Rich Brome said:
It's a possibility. Nextel has been thinking about moving to CDMA for some time. Also, Sprint has excess spectrum capacity that would fit nicely with Nextel's customer base.

While a lot of people talk about QChat, one aspect of it that most people don't realize is that QChat requires 1xRTT revision A... Sprint only has 1xRTT revision 0, and so far their announced plans are to jump straight to EV-DV.

In the end, it comes down to Nextel being in bad position. Their iDEN technology is not going to provide a viable option for 3G - they know they have to move to something else (like CDMA) sooner or later. And worse, the government will soon force them to move to different spectrum. With those chal
(continues)
Rich Brome

May 2, 2004, 1:49 PM
I recommend a trip to the glossary. 😉

But to summarize:

CDMA2000 1xRTT revision is the version of CDMA that Verizon and Sprint currently use. Compared to the previous version (IS-95), it doubled voice capacity and increased data speeds 10x.

1xRTT Revision A doubles data speeds compared to revision 0, but only a handful of carriers around the world have plans to deploy it.

EV-DV is one of the newer versions of CDMA coming out. It increases data speeds many times (to broadband speeds, basically) and further boosts voice capacity. It hasn't reached the market yet, but all of the major equipment companies are working on it.

WCDMA is a whole different ball of wax - don't be confused by the name. It's a whole new and differen...
(continues)
JGreen

May 2, 2004, 1:54 PM
thanx for the clarification much appreciated
Rich Brome

May 2, 2004, 1:59 PM
....CDMA2000 1xRTT revision is the version of CDMA that Verizon and Sprint currently use. ...

I meant to say revision 0... sorry! 🤭

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.