Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 7 replies

Verizon's System? Will it remain CDMA of be forced to GSM?

Airwar

Jul 18, 2005, 4:23 AM
I heard a rumor, Verizon would be mandated somewhere out in the 2 year time frame to convert from CDMA to GSM, any truth to this. I can't believe this, never the less I bring it up in the Rumor Mill Forum. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks. 🙄
simplymarcus

Jul 18, 2005, 10:52 AM
that is not true
lnknprkrox83

Jul 18, 2005, 3:33 PM
I don't think that this will happen anytime soon, but don't you think eventually all cell phones will be world phones, which would mean that Verizon, Alltel, and any other CDMA users will have to convert to GSM? I also found a cool article that may give hints of what is to come. I got this from the alltel forum.

http://www.gsm1x.com/ »
insidescooppp

Jul 18, 2005, 5:06 PM
CDMA pwns GSM... so...
Mr Mojo Risin

Jul 18, 2005, 10:50 PM
This is such an old rumor, not just about Verizon, but about any CDMa carrier. The only reason GSM is more widely used is because it is an older signal. To go to GSM would be a major down grade in technology, it offers neither the voice capacity nor the data capabilities of CDMA.
superted76

Jul 23, 2005, 1:34 PM
Besides, if GSM is SO great why does the US Military use CDMA exclusively? Could it be for signal security? Call quality? Efficiency? Network? Data rates?

The only reason that GSM is so large in the rest of the world is because it was the first multi national system and the european government decided that in order to have a system they could call their own, they would pass a bill blocking any new technologies from developing.

Luckily countries like Japan, Russia, China, Vietnam, Korea, and many others have seen the possibilities of CDMA and jumped on the conversion wagon.

I hear arguments about umts which is a cdma tech. All you people who sit here and argue that wcdma is such a great service and gsm is morphing into it should t...
(continues)
gtjud

Jul 28, 2005, 1:33 AM
1.CDMA is actually older than GSM.
2. WCDMA is actually a type of hybrid of the 2 technologies. It has a similar codac to CDMA but uses the security features of GSM. The data transfer rates are acomplished by the use of HSDPA which is a decedent of edge technology.
3.CDMA is a not as clear nor can it support as many lines per frequency CDMA=6/feq and GSM=8 (TDMA=3 just round out the trio).
4.GSM is easier to upgrade your phone making for better consumer satisfaction in the end. (I hated having to do an ESN switch when i changed phones)

In closing i dont believe that either gsm or cdma will be the "king of the hill" i think it will be the WCDMA or UMTS network that will finally bring some unity to the devide.

To address the origin...
(continues)
colione112

Jul 27, 2005, 11:12 PM
no they aren't switching to gsm however, they are releasing a dual mode (cdma/gsm) for their world travelers.. kinda like the gait phone cingular used during their transition period...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.