Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Nextel to buy Sprint (RUMOR)

GWFOX

Mar 31, 2004, 3:06 PM
Just a rumor I heard.. You know how rumors go... Can anyone give ANY info on this rumor?

Sides.. WHY would Nextel buy sprintPCS anyways? What would they get out of it? The signal protocol CDMA would not mesh well with IDEN in my humble opinion.

Ideas? Comments?
MW2

Mar 31, 2004, 5:02 PM
from my understandings nextel is trying to get rid of iden (the controversy of them trying to purchase pcs license for cheap from the fcc).

so if there is any truth to that rumor then they may be trying to go cdma and having sprint would also help make that easier for them.
jikhead

Mar 31, 2004, 6:14 PM
Doubt it, if there was to be any Sprint merger or acquisition, I'd say Verizon and Sprint would merge. Both use the same technology and format, so there wouldn't be and costs to upgrade each others networks.
Myth

Mar 31, 2004, 6:18 PM
jikhead said:
I'd say Verizon and Sprint would merge. Both use the same technology and format, so there wouldn't be and costs to upgrade each others networks.

Ah, but you see, there's the fun of it all.

If Nextel buys ANYBODY, there are tech-incompatibility issues. All we have to do is assume they are looking to acquire more spectrum, and room for rumors is rampant.

(Oops! Had the alliterator set on 'high'.)
mmdstech2

Mar 31, 2004, 8:23 PM
Sprint is not going to be bought out by Nextel(or anyone at this point) In April FON and PCS will be combined in to one trading stock. This will fend off carriers looking to buy, and will make Sprint the likely buyer down the road. Nextel is in good shape when it comes to spectrum.
Rich Brome

Apr 1, 2004, 7:37 PM
Actually, spectrum is Nextel's biggest problem right now. In many communities, Nextel phones interfere with public safety radio systems (police, fire, etc.). The FCC is currently working on a plan to resolve the interference, but the proposals involve Nextel and/or the public safety re-banding, (moving to different spectrum,) which means replacing the radio equipment. Either way, Nextel will be forced to pay, and it will cost them megabucks. For Nextel, I think buying or merging with Sprint is a viable alternative to what the FCC may force them to do.

Plus, even with WiDEN, Nextel is basically stuck with a dead-end technology. They need a real 3G strategy, and Flarion's gear isn't a complete solution. It's the industry's worst-kept secret...
(continues)
xjesusx

Jun 16, 2004, 9:08 PM
I work in the wireless industry and there are rampant talks about sprint and nextel merging. Nextel wants the cdma and they need it the goverment will force it on them one way or another. Sprint wants to be a contender in PTT there service now is good but with nextel it will be even better. Put Sprints network with Nextels qchat technology you will have a huge company with alot of support and the money to back it up. I work for Sprint and my friend works for Nextel. You will see this blow up within the next year. Verizon is relaunching there PTT this june ive already seen the three phones they will be launching. But the pricing will still be outrageous.
nobio0

Jun 16, 2004, 11:35 PM
what Verizon phones will have PTT,that is coming out this june.
aws_chris

Jun 18, 2004, 2:44 PM
As we all know, Cingular is buying AT&T Wireless. What you all don't know, and we seriously will be creeping in out of nowhere, is that Cingular intends to launch PTT most likely early 2005, with immediate full nationwide deployment. The secret is waiting until you have EVERYTHING right and a HUGE selection of equipment and then putting it out for all to see. I bet it will be BIG!
muchdrama

Jun 18, 2004, 5:06 PM
aws_chris said:
As we all know, Cingular is buying AT&T Wireless. What you all don't know, and we seriously will be creeping in out of nowhere, is that Cingular intends to launch PTT most likely early 2005, with immediate full nationwide deployment. The secret is waiting until you have EVERYTHING right and a HUGE selection of equipment and then putting it out for all to see. I bet it will be BIG!
At best, Chris, this is all speculation. But I'm hoping to see their PTT system soon.
aws_chris

Jun 18, 2004, 8:34 PM
I guess we will see what happens, but it is quite something to speculate about! 😁
ddtmm

Jun 18, 2004, 8:50 PM
This is a reasonable assumption as long as Cingular would use the Kodiak technology that Alltel is using. Orange (in Europe using GSM) is the only other company at this point licensed to use Kodiak. It could make Cingular a force to be reckoned with in the long run but not until the GSM coverage is expanded greatly.
SPCSVZWJeff

Jun 21, 2004, 6:46 PM
PTT on a busy GSM network would cause severe bandwidth problems. I can see PTT when and if Cingular makes WCDMA work but not before.
muchdrama

Jun 22, 2004, 12:47 PM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
PTT on a busy GSM network would cause severe bandwidth problems. I can see PTT when and if Cingular makes WCDMA work but not before.
Perhaps this is the reason they stopped their PTT development to "consider other alternative PTT solutions"?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.