Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Nokia 6200 from cingular has some settings blocked out!!!

Mendel

Mar 15, 2004, 12:12 PM
the AT&T version of this phone, has "System Selection" a option to manuly search for service, or to place it on automatic..

anyway the cingular version does not have it, and I just spoke to NOKIA and was told that CINGULAR BLOCKED OUT THOSE SETTINGS

so does anybody know of a way to change that, and to be able to pick other carriers,

so far where I am, even in the OFFICIAL dead spots (cingular acknowledged it themselves) since its in and around a city, where cingular does have coverage, I am picking up 0-1 bar of service, and still does not search for another carrier (AT&T GSM has full service there)

from the way NOKIA put it, ("CINGULAR BLOCKED OUT THOSE SETTINGS OF SYSTEM SELECTION...") sounds like, this plan of free roaming i...
(continues)
Big Poppa

Mar 15, 2004, 6:20 PM
Mendel said:

so what does it mean FREE ROAMING?!?!?!?!?
(which sounds like any tower, exept the phone is blocked out from using most towers)
blockquote>

"Free Roaming" with most carriers is usually refered to as being able to use that company's ENTIRE network, not just the part of the network designated as your local area...

Sprint PCS use to refer to this kind of roaming as "Traveling" (Using the phone outside you designated LOCAL area), and used the term "Roaming" as using the phone OFF of thier network...

This is basically were most carriers try to CONFUSE their customers.
daytonrt

Mar 25, 2004, 2:25 PM
the reason is because its not free roaming. its advertised as no roaming charges ever. reason being because you dont work off anyone elses towers on cingulars gsm network. if youre out of your area then u have no service and cant roam. =no roaming charge.
Myth

Mar 27, 2004, 12:07 PM
daytonrt said:
the reason is because its not free roaming. its advertised as no roaming charges ever. reason being because you dont work off anyone elses towers on cingulars gsm network. if youre out of your area then u have no service and cant roam. =no roaming charge.

Not quite.

Roaming is provided where we do not have coverage and where we DO have roaming agreements. Most of our coverage in Maine and New Hampshire is provided by roaming agreements with ATTWS, for instance.

"No roaming charges" does NOT mean "unlimited access to anyone else's GSM towers no matter what it costs Cingular", however. Every call on someone else's tower costs us money, and spending more than we take in will eventually p...
(continues)
reco

Jun 16, 2004, 6:41 AM
Sorry this so late guys but am going through archives. Anyways I got the 6200 a couple weeks ago. The rep told me the Att GSM plan your phones (all ATT phones) would be able to roam on any gsm towers in all of the USA (cingular, att and t mobile) So I'm thinking this is a heck of a deal right. Well guess what I can't roam off of tmobile. I call cs and get the run around, finally after many, many calls noone can tell me why?
nokiarep

Jun 17, 2004, 4:28 PM
did you call nokia cs or att cs, if you called nokia how would they know why the network doesn't work. they manufacture, not provide the service.
reco

Jun 18, 2004, 7:25 AM
I called att cs and noone could answer my question. I think the dealer was sweeting up the deal so he could make the sale.
nokiarep

Jun 18, 2004, 10:37 AM
that happens all the time! they even sell older people phones like the 3650 and other complicated ones that they have trouble with just to make a $$. 😈
oddlager

Mar 27, 2004, 9:43 PM
Mendel said:
....so does anybody know of a way to change that, and to be able to pick other carriers,

Don't worry about it, even with that option in there you wouldn't be able to do what it is you're talking about. I have Cingular phones that give that option and it doesn't make a difference because if Cingular doesn't have a roaming agreement in that specific area you can "connect" to other carrier'ss towers but it will only "allow" you to make emergency (911) calls only. Then as soon as the signal gets back to at least "1 bar" you'll connect with Cingulars towers again.

Mendel said:
...so what does it mean FREE ROAMING?!?!?!?!?
(which sounds like any tower, exept the phone
(continues)
Mendel

Mar 29, 2004, 1:24 AM
now I tried calling 911 (where I know AT&T has a tower) and it would not find any service

it just comes back "NO SERVICE"
Mendel

Mar 30, 2004, 4:14 AM
oddlager said:

Mendel said:

....so does anybody know of a way to change that, and to be able to pick other carriers,

Don't worry about it, even with that option in there you wouldn't be able to do what it is you're talking about. I have Cingular phones that give that option and it doesn't make a difference because if Cingular doesn't have a roaming agreement in that specific area you can "connect" to other carrier'ss towers but it will only "allow" you to make emergency (911) calls only. Then as soon as the signal gets back to at least "1 bar" you'll connect with Cingulars towers again.

Mendel said:

...so what does it mean FREE ROAMING?!?!?
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.