Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 11 replies

GSM Network Buy-outs

PsYkE

May 5, 2005, 12:24 PM
I currently work for Dobson CellularONE. We've already sold some regions to Cingular, & are currently migrating to GSM. Rumor has it that Cinugular is planning a buy-out on T-Mobile.

I will be laid of July 1st from CellularONE because they have decided to close down our Frederick, Maryland call center because we're "too expensive to run." ☹️

So anyway, my guess is that once CellularONE migrates completely to GSM from TDMA, Cingular will try to buy out CellONE. I think they're just waiting to CellONE to do all the dirty work w/ the migration, & then once completely, give CellONE an offer they can't refuse. Perhaps CellONE is preparing for this... I have no clue. I just know they will soon be closing our call center down, & our N...
(continues)
Rathrok

May 5, 2005, 1:56 PM
I'd say the odds of Cingular buying out T-Mobile at this time are far worse than you winning a 300 million dollar Power Ball jackpot all by yourself 🙂
PsYkE

May 5, 2005, 2:34 PM
The Cingular/T-Mobile thing was in RCR Wireless News recently... I know T-Mobile is big in Europe... but not here.

I'm more wondering about the odds of CellONE being bought out by Cingular.
PsYkE

May 5, 2005, 2:55 PM
RCR Wireless News
04-18-05
Can T-Mobile USA make it alone? By Dan Meyer

"There is no future for T-Mobile," Iain Gillott, principal @ iGillott-Research. "I think in one yar to 18 months T-Mobile USA will be part of Cingular Wireless LLC."

The article goes on talking about how T-Mobile can't hold it's own & shows graphs & what not as well. It also makes mention that they may team w/ Qwest.
petenick

May 6, 2005, 12:03 PM
Currently there are no plans known for anyone to purchase cell one. General Management for the Northeast has confirmed this with me. I wouldn't mind seeing Cingular buy cell one, seeing as we already use their towers nationally along with t-mobile towers. I have heard of the MD call center shutting down, what a shame. I always had a pleasant experience when calling there. Eevryone was very well informed of policies and procedures. I cannot say as much for some of the other centers, though.
Tom1944

May 6, 2005, 6:38 PM
When you guts start throwing around 'Cell One', you should distinguish between Dobson or Western Wireless. Both entities use the 'Cell One' as their name. You may make some folks nervous for no reason.
Tom1944

May 6, 2005, 6:41 PM
That should have been guys, not guts. LOL
PsYkE

May 7, 2005, 8:45 AM
I did. Notice in my 1st post - my very FIRST sentence said:

"I currently work for Dobson CellularONE."
texaswireless

May 13, 2005, 5:58 PM
Dude, don't join mid-thread with that kind of a statement. Read the whole thread, your quipp was already answered in post 1!
PsYkE

May 7, 2005, 8:44 AM
It's really depressing to see this place go. Some of us have so much loyalty to this company... It's one place I can truly say I love working for. Since the news of the lay off, many changes have been made... & it's become a place of low morale & depressed workers. ☹️
scotsboyuk

May 7, 2005, 9:54 AM
I would be very surprised if T-Mobile allowed their American arm to be bought by anyone since it is the most profitable division of their company. T-Mobile as a whole has more than enough financial muscle to deal with Cingular.

Perhaps the question should be whether Cingular or any other American network is vulnerable to a full or even part takeover from a foreign network e.g. Vodafone, DoCoMo, Orange, etc.
PsYkE

May 7, 2005, 10:08 AM
We work really hard & have recently set new records within the company...

Isn't it ironic? I've only been in the Loyalty department & look what's happening.

We have a hard region to deal w/, & we're used to it now. I don't think doing away w/ the Frederick call center will benefit the company. We've started so many of the standards the company uses today. & I think these next two months might make them regret it... but I doubt they'll change their minds.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.