Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 18 replies

Sprint HTC EVO extra $10/month charge

Winc10

May 18, 2010, 6:29 PM
I seriously doubt anyone is buying this phone to watch TV or use it as a primary camera..............

Here is Sprint's reason for that extra charge:
Thank you for contacting Sprint. I am happy to assist you with plan charges.

I understand that you are not happy with the plan pricing for HTC EVO.
The factors are put in consideration while imposing $10.00 charges for
4G:

-The $10 Premium Data fee is for the rich data experience that EVO provides. Our Management put it best when they described the EVO experience like going from regular TV to a High Definition TV.
-Think about when you are in your favorite electronics store looking at the wall of televisions. You can’t help but be drawn to the high-def plasma screens that ar...
(continues)
Amarantamin

May 18, 2010, 9:17 PM
4G is more expensive to maintain than 3G. It uses more data at a higher rate. Hence, the higher charge.

If you don't want/need the faster speeds, there is no reason to get the Evo.
Winc10

May 19, 2010, 9:31 AM
Sprint is charging the extra $10/month regardless of whether or not you have access to 4G in your area. Many across the country do NOT have access to 4G nor will their area see 4G. So the phone will run on 3G. It strictly a profit skim in my eyes & not necessary.
diggitydogg76

May 19, 2010, 3:01 PM
EASY solution: DONT BUY IT! If you cant see the value in the phone as it stands, and have to bitch about this or that, it obviously isnt the phone for you! For those who do see the value, $10 is nothing ... whether in 3G OR 4G.
deepc

Jun 25, 2010, 2:07 PM
Would anyone that doesn't have a problem spending an extra $10 a month for service that is the same as their existing line please give me your debit or credit card number along with experation date and verification number.

Thanks so much. 😎
bmore

Jun 22, 2010, 5:20 PM
then winc10......dont buy it
CustomersAreRubbish

Jun 23, 2010, 1:49 PM
I know the standard answer is to throw out the hardware features of the phone, and how it's not a 4G charge... and the reality is that neither of those answers are going to suffice for techncially savvy people that know most of the phone's features will still work without a Sprint account.

This is my speculation.

The Evo is the first 3G and 4G phone. Everyone here knows that. Everyone also knows 4G isn't everywhere yet. I think the $10 fee is to help offset the cost of both the higher 3G data usage for each Evo (think Qik, YouTube HD, Hulu and Flash enabled sites), whilst enabling Sprint to further build out the new 4G network.

Also realize that the Evo's plan does include unlimited 3G (as does every Everything Data 450 or higher pl...
(continues)
deepc

Jun 25, 2010, 3:55 PM
Also, many customers(the intelligent ones at least) understand that other providers have 3G service that is actually faster than the Sprint 4g service.
LuciousAsh

Jun 26, 2010, 12:51 PM
That's how I've been explaining it all along. I thought it would be common sense.
This_Troper

May 18, 2010, 9:52 PM
This is the RUMORS Forum. Any facts should be taken elsewhere.
diggitydogg76

May 19, 2010, 3:10 PM
lol sorry ☹️

BUT ... For an EXTRA $10, it'll even tell you those jeans make you look skinny!
This_Troper

May 19, 2010, 3:43 PM
It doesn't take jeans to make me look skinny! All it takes is some quality time in front of a toilet.
famoussasjohn

May 27, 2010, 4:05 PM
since it is a hot spot, this allows you to run 3G without a 5GB limit, and turns it into unlimited. that is the main reason for the charge.
famoussasjohn

May 27, 2010, 4:07 PM
but I dont see people getting the hot spot so $10 charge is because of the stand! if you work for sprint, check your "Sprint OPS Playbook EVO"

It looks like a typical Android. Why pay $10 bucks more a month?
one bullet point....
EVO‘s kickstand!

dear god!
ShoopDaWoop

Jun 21, 2010, 5:14 PM
It's this simple. You want a Ferrari, you pay the premium for it. You don't want the premium of an exotic car, don't buy the ferrari, keep your civic, etc. Same thing with the EVO. Premium features, premium hardware, pay the premium fee.
deepc

Jun 25, 2010, 2:22 PM
It's this simple...GREED

Please don't try to justify the extra charge for service that's the same for customers that don't have 4g coverage. That's just lame "yes sir" corporate talk because you're not happy with the fact that customers might be offended by an extra silly unnecessary charge to boost profits.
sprintchickwv

Jun 27, 2010, 3:16 PM
As we all know, AT&T is beginning to cap their data at 2GB on phones and you have to pay more for unlimited. I think that's a terrible business move, and I think they were driven to it by the HUGE number of iPhones using up the bandwidth.

Sprint's data plans offer unlimited data for all phones, period. If you have a USB modem or hotspot with us, you've got 5GB p/month under 3G coverage (because the voice and data are run off the same towers, offering unlimited data would cause issues with call volume capacity) and unlimited data under 4G coverage. We want to keep it that way and I see the $10 fee for the Evo as a way to prevent us from ending up in an "iPhone situation."
o0jeff0o

Jul 13, 2010, 11:26 PM
And as we all know, Sprint will soon see an influx of smartphone users- don't think this is the last phone they are going to charge an additonal $10.00 "service charge" to. This is their way of dealing with the popular smartphone surge on a network. AT&T's way was offering tethering (which everyone cried about, you got it, quit crying) and capping the plans. Verizon and Sprint will soon choose one of very few options.

They will eaither stop offering the very limited smartphones they have now, they will cap those smartphones or they will begin charging more for the data plans. Granted, they at the moment have a decent plan- but they are all just emerging into a playground owned by AT&T since the iphone came out. Thye can remain behind the ...
(continues)
poperp98

Jul 14, 2010, 6:00 PM
Sounds like a good time to buy in to unlimited for only $10/mo. Get it now before it skyrockets!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.