Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 14 replies

AT&T dumping Motorola ?

mcbrock

Oct 27, 2008, 12:53 PM
My company prefers Motorola phones (due to Motorola Phone Tools, standardized charges, etc). I just saw that the Razr is on AT&T's end-of-life list (maybe they are embarrassed that it still outsold the iPhone?). That just leaves the V9X, Z9 and Q9H -- all of which are too expensive and too fragile for my needs. Phone Scoop doesn't list any Motorola models at "coming soon" for AT&T. Has anyone heard if they are going to quit carrying Motorola phones altogether? It sure seems that way.
ralph_on_me

Oct 27, 2008, 2:32 PM
Your company is flushing money away with buying Motorola. Switch to Nokia. They have free software and their phones are better while costing less. Why would someone pay $200 for the V9x with a contract when they can get a blackberry with the same features for $80?
mist668

Oct 27, 2008, 3:13 PM
I would rather have a nokia such as the e71 then some motorola. The razr was just garabe at the time. Love my blackberry 8100.
mcbrock

Oct 27, 2008, 3:15 PM
We wouldn't be going with the V9x -- that's way beyond what we need for our guys in the field. We were happy with the V365, which they dumped. We used use the V190 briefly (it was discontinued rather quickly) and a few others. We just need a basic flip phone, preferable something that won't break in half. We were ordering Razrs reluctantly (they are currently the cheapest Motorola available), but would prefer something more robust.

We never had very good luck with Nokias. Plus, unless it has changed recently, it seems like every model requires a different charger. This is annoying and gets expensive.
ralph_on_me

Oct 27, 2008, 3:43 PM
They're all still different chargers (for the most part), but Motorola either just isn't making anything lately or AT&T's not accepting it. We haven't had a "new" motorola in a long time, and definitely longer since there was a low cost one. Judging by the way Motorola's stock has been tanking, (even before recent economic changes) I wouldn't expect to see anything worth the money for a long time to come.

Motorola quality has been going down ever since the original V3. I would start planning for a migration before you're forced to do it on your own. You may have had some bad experiences with Nokia, but they're the number one most sold handset in the world for a reason.

If you need rugged, the samsung rugby is finally out but it isn...
(continues)
Maarek

Oct 27, 2008, 6:20 PM
They are now making an Android phone which will look like the Krave and sport a slide out keyboard. The price would be $150 for the smart phone according to Motorola
jeffatt

Dec 19, 2008, 6:16 PM

We never had very good luck with Nokias. Plus, unless it has changed recently, it seems like every model requires a different charger. This is annoying and gets expensive.

If chargers are your biggest worry, Nokia has only has 2 in the last 8-9 years. The same charger that worked on my 5165 (1999) worked on my 3595, 6010, and works with some of the phones still out.
rhi_nan

Oct 28, 2008, 10:46 AM
they're probably getting the VE20 which replaces the razr. Pretty much all carriers have dropped the old razr now. The VE20 is like a razr/razr2/rockr combo. Very nice.
westernmd68

Nov 12, 2008, 8:11 PM
too bad the ve20 is a cdma phone (i.e. verizon wireless, us cellular, etc.) and is incompatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile
ariveradse

Nov 26, 2008, 2:06 PM
but its not too hard to come out with a gsm variant
Crapbag

Nov 26, 2008, 3:30 PM
No, but if there is an exclusivity contract it wouldn't matter if there were a GSM alternative. Take the blackberry storm for instance.
Hombre07

Nov 25, 2008, 3:13 AM
The company as a whole, couldn't tell ya.

However you need the w760r, it's a rugged Motorola one model up from the v365. The bad news is it was announced last January and I have no idea why it has never showed up anywhere. Honestly though I still expect AT&T to carry it.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Motorola-W760r-phone ... »
Guy Montag

Nov 25, 2008, 9:40 PM
I talked to our motorolla rep about three weeks ago. Expect it soon. It was pretty much the entire point behind his being there.
SKullKapa

Dec 19, 2008, 4:59 PM
Thats good to hear moto sucks 🤣 🤣 🤣
-chels-

Jan 21, 2009, 6:51 PM
I heard rumors that Moto is considering dropping wireless all together. I highly doubt that it true though.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.