Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 6 replies

VZW-Alltel merger and the state of our economy...

CellStudent

Sep 21, 2008, 2:32 PM
I'm no economist, so anyone out there with more book-learnin' in that respect can feel free to chime in, but I look at the major financial meltdowns that have occurred in the last 10 days and it seems to me like it's only going to make the merger run faster.

For those of you who don't follow the financial news very much, the collapse of household namse like fannie Mae, Freddie mac, Merrill, Lynch, AIG, and Lehamn brothers is huge.

HUGE. HUGE. HUGE!!!

This is pretty much the equivalent of waking up one morning to find that AT&T and Microsoft have both gone belly-up.

What this means is that bad, bad things are happening to investment bankers and private equity firms. it just so happens that Alltel is completely owned by one of the...
(continues)
cellularconnection

Sep 23, 2008, 2:30 PM
It wouldn't surprise me.

I also see a lot of the companies releasing data-friendly plans (or features) as consumers start looking for ways to trim their budget. Cellphones might be a luxury, but it is one that covers a couple of "Needs" like long distance, communication (email, sms). Look for some really interesting promotions in the next several months.

Low end, bare bones phones on low monthly, higher per minute costs (to try and get people off prepay). And high end, Data only plans that utilize VoIP protocal in 3g networks...

Everyone needs to tighten their belts a bit, and this means we'll most likely be seeing things we haven't seen in years.
CellStudent

Sep 24, 2008, 12:13 AM
Warren Buffett pours $5 BILLION into Goldman Sachs:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/berkshire-inve ... »

From Marketwatch.com:
Berkshire already has big investments in banks and other financial companies including Wells Fargo & Co., American Express, and US Bancorp.

But Buffett said earlier this year that some investment banks and commercial banks were too large and complex to run.

The culture of investment banks is in some ways "evil" and counterproductive to the financial health of the United States, Berkshire Vice Chairman Charlie Munger said in May.

Traders in such firms are often eager to make overly ris
(continues)
altryan

Sep 24, 2008, 4:57 PM
Luckily Goldman Sachs is well diversified and highly liquidable, they have made the righ the hedges for this downturn.

After the bailouts, they will be the leading edge of the NEW investment banks and since they will be able to be invloved and lobbying the legislation of the new regulations and restrictions, they will be the one of the firsts to use those to their advantage. IMHO
mist668

Sep 27, 2008, 3:51 PM
dont see the point in vzw wanting to obtain a gsm company that operates in a smaller area. also the bailouts shouldnt happen, let the big corporations fail
Nadesico81

Sep 29, 2008, 9:16 AM
ALLtel is not GSM only parts of it are. VZW also has small pockets of GSM lefter over from there purchase of UNICELL in the North East.
yesVZW

Sep 27, 2008, 12:34 PM
cellularconnection said:
It wouldn't surprise me.

I also see a lot of the companies releasing data-friendly plans (or features) as consumers start looking for ways to trim their budget. Cellphones might be a luxury, but it is one that covers a couple of "Needs" like long distance, communication (email, sms). Look for some really interesting promotions in the next several months.

Low end, bare bones phones on low monthly, higher per minute costs (to try and get people off prepay). And high end, Data only plans that utilize VoIP protocal in 3g networks...

Everyone needs to tighten their belts a bit, and this means we'll most likely be seeing things we haven't seen in years.

Verizon Wireless al...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.