Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 32 replies

AT&T BUYING SPRINT/NEXTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

cellphonetourettes

Jun 5, 2008, 11:52 AM
In response to Verizon's acquistion of Alltel, at&t is poised to take over Sprint/Nextel to regain the top spot in mobile subscribers. AT&T plans on switching out all Nextel phones with their own Push-to-Talk phones and auctioning off the IDEN network. Boost Mobile will likely not be a part of the deal and may take ownership of the IDEN network to become a seperate entity. This information was passed on confidentially and you guys are the first to hear about it!
cjs5177

Jun 5, 2008, 11:54 AM
and what are they supposedly doing with sprint..................seeing how att is gsm and sprint is cdma....jw
mjc5023

Jun 6, 2008, 10:50 PM
i love when people think they know everything. but when honestly they think all cell phones run on the same technology. nice response cjs5177
icyhandlz

Aug 29, 2008, 11:01 AM
I agree with you guys that they run off different technologies cuz they do....but if att bought out sprint.....they now own towers everywhere sprint did.....thus making it easier and cheaper to put up single modular attenaes on these towers....and charge a roaming fee to cdma providers.....not a horribly bad business move if you ask me....and just cuz he said he heard it doesnt mean he thinks he knows everything....just my 2 cents and good find if this is for real guys...
The_Sprint_Master

Aug 30, 2008, 1:45 PM
I personally work for Sprint and This is the most rediculous story I have ever heard in my entire career. There is absolutely NO TALKS of ATT taking over Sprint/Nextel. The technologies are different which is the big Red Flag on that detail. Second it would cost ATT so much money to buy one of their own competitors such as Sprint that it wouldnt be worth the time for them to take it over. Alltell was on the verge of bankruptcy and could only settle debts by letting Verizon buying them. To make the purchase of Sprint and to put theose new modules on the existing CDMA sites would cost too much money and use too many resources, thus making ATT's service even more spendy than it is right now. I agree with the other two. This guy is just talking ...
(continues)
I_Heart_Poop

Sep 2, 2008, 6:55 PM
ya i agree with you that AT&T and sprint run on different networks. But isn't that the same with sprint and nextel? Im not saying this rumor is true im just saying it is possible. If AT&T was to buy a compnay i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be sprint though. It would probably be T-mobile.....
I_LUV_BUTTERFLYZ08

Sep 2, 2008, 8:03 PM
No i work for AT&T and i have not heard anything about it, AT&T has already taken over Bell South, Dobson, Cellular One, and Cingular.....I don't think a they will be taking over Sprint or Nextel anytime soon......OR MAYBE????? i dunno lol
jhulz

Sep 3, 2008, 8:56 PM
i work for sprint and i even dont hear anytning about that issue... and i think its too ambitious to think...
irie

Sep 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
If you didn't remember sprint sold their towers and is now in a leasing agreement so that arguement doesnt hold.

https://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=3221 »

know your facts.

Irie
gadgethead

Jun 11, 2008, 3:52 PM
actually the old Nextel iDEN network is still active so that would make it 3 non-compatible protocols, funny.
Bubey

Jun 25, 2008, 5:14 PM
The same thing Verizon is doing with Altell.
Choose one, GSM or CDMA? I would think Verizon might go the GSM route since it is the more used worldwide.
Yean

Jun 25, 2008, 6:04 PM
Huh? Verizon Wireless and Alltel are both CDMA carriers. How do you figure VZW is going GSM? LTE is their next move, trying to make a AIPN. Going GSM, would be a very bad and financial disaster for VZW,
brianm96

Jun 25, 2008, 6:10 PM
Yean said:
Going GSM, would be a very bad and financial disaster for VZW,

Agreed!!
brianm96

Jun 25, 2008, 6:08 PM
Ok, Verizon and Altell's decision is easy, they both use CDMA!

AT&T buying Sprextel is a hoax. There is no evidence of that, and it wouldn't make sense because they use different networks, which means they are completely incompatible without a hybrid phone.

I call BS!!!!!!
nextel18

Jun 5, 2008, 12:04 PM
They do not need 50 million subscribers to get the number one spot. All they need to get is around 10 million or 15 million. Moreover, the purchase would never go through. Major divestitures would be needed. The AT&T Wireless/Cingular merger had many divestitures that would be even more. They could just buy out Nextel but they could not buy out both. It is a good idea but I do not think it will happen. A more likely situation is that T-mobile’s DT would buy out Sprint to stay right there.

“AT&T plans on switching out all Nextel phones with their own Push-to-Talk phones and auctioning off the IDEN network.” No one would substitute Nextel’s push to talk for AT&T’s or even Qchat.

“Boost Mobile will like...
(continues)
cellphonetourettes

Jun 5, 2008, 12:28 PM
nothing like getting people riled up over bogus info!!! I got my laugh for the day and unfortunately it was at the expense of a few poor souls. Have a nice day everyone and don't always believe what you READ!
cellphonetourettes

Jun 5, 2008, 12:30 PM
if you would like to get a real laugh then check out the shop talk forum and search for Online Chat with VW episodes 1-7.
Septhian

Jun 6, 2008, 6:08 PM
No
Tmo Slave

Jun 14, 2008, 5:33 PM
I'll believe it when there is an official statement issued, not some random tard on a forum. Anyone that would want to but the sinking ship which is sprint needs to have their head checked.
cellfiend

Jun 14, 2008, 6:48 PM
Tmo Slave said:
I'll believe it when there is an official statement issued, not some random tard on a forum.

Haha! Good call on the random tard thing. I severly doubt a takeover would convert the iDEN to push to talk. Push to walk is not anything like the walkie talkie feature. Users have to first dial the person..THEN it's push to talk!! I highly doubt all the landscaping companies and construction companies are going to want that.
Sonniku

Jun 16, 2008, 2:55 PM
i would like some of whatever this guy is smoking... 🤣
acepfool

Jun 17, 2008, 8:48 AM
Yea this does not seem factual at all, and if it was true that would be crazy and almost monopolistic.
Jayshmay

Jun 26, 2008, 11:54 AM
They actually giue yot psychotics internet access?!!?
larry

Aug 29, 2008, 8:49 PM
There's no chance of AT&T taking over Sprint. PERIOD. This is plain silly. The FCC would never allow such a merger to happen and AT&T wouldn't want Sprint anyway. Two totally different and incompatible technologies.
rgates414

Aug 30, 2008, 11:28 AM
PEOPLE, read the original thread ALL THE WAY THROUGH. The guy who posted this already said he was full of it and just posted to rile people up. Read BEFORE you post people, otherwise, you run the risk of looking like a huge ass.... 😁
mellowlen62

Sep 1, 2008, 3:15 PM
Personally I think the guy who posted it is the ass...not the guy responding...
Fandim

Sep 1, 2008, 5:54 PM
Yeah...totally unrealistic - however - please remember US Cellular was CMDA and ATT purchased them..

But I work for ATT, and have not heard even so much as a rumor about anything even close in nature to this.
stinkercole

Sep 2, 2008, 1:45 AM
AT&T bought out USCC?? WOW! Pretty USCC is still here...I would know..I work for them!
Fredd

Sep 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
at&t did NOT buy US Cellular. The most recent move was Dobson communications, operating as Cellular One. Next time you post, be sure to get your info straight!
Fandim

Sep 10, 2008, 4:27 PM
Cellular one is what I meant. 🤤 was a brain fart moment. But they were not GSM.
Fredd

Sep 16, 2008, 10:40 AM
Again, misinformation. Cellular One/Dobson was indeed GSM. This type of compatible merger is what has been done in the past, and would be the only likely possibility in the future. Buying a system to just have to completely rework it would not be cost effective.
cellphonetourettes

Sep 15, 2008, 12:40 PM
It has been a few months since I posted this CRAP and people are still responding to this. EVEN AFTER I SAID I MADE IT UP!!! How wonderful to see first hand the degeneration of our fine citizens.
yaamakoh

Sep 16, 2008, 3:44 PM
Don't let it get to your head buddy, and congrats for making a worthless thread last a few months. Kudos to you.

This thread has been closed by a moderator.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.