Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 70 replies

Sprint No Contracts Soon?!!!

BigKippa

Jun 1, 2008, 6:55 PM
This is bound to get some people talking. I just heard an amazing RUMOR (please understand this is just a rumor I heard, this is Rumor mill, so I am sharing it). Sprint is soon thinking of eliminating contracts for those customers who wish to pay full price for any of their phones. Buy a phone, pay the activation fee, pick a plan and you're done!! I mean if this is true, it will completely change the industry. The 3rd largest carrier allowing customers to sign on with no contracts? I would imagine they would have to increase the amount of the activation fee's, but Wow!!! Any plan, any phone, no contract. Do I see huge lines at the Sprint Stores once again? The fact that their phones can't be used on any other network but their own is...
(continues)
mamba

Jun 1, 2008, 7:03 PM
i heard something of this sort coming around christmas of 08.
liquidfire

Jun 2, 2008, 9:38 AM
SWEET! just in time for my current contract to end with them.
lc6980

Jul 6, 2008, 9:40 PM
Yes, but retail price for phones is $300-$600. Is it really worth? I guess if you have the money why not.
Big Dbo

Jul 7, 2008, 6:06 AM
I think, if they went to no contracts, they would still have to give some kind of discount for the phones if they want any kind of business, and the second thing about it is even if they do have no contract, they def need to work on there customer service, that's the biggest reason they are losing so many customers, I am surprised the company hasn't been shut down or bought out yet, at this rate with Verizon leadin the way, they may just soon to be the new owners of sprint. Sprint has already dropped their own service for their techs and big dawgs and picked up verizonwireless, kinda odd.
jared5604

Jul 8, 2008, 7:22 AM
Ummm, I work in Sprint Employee Care, my job is to assist our 60,000 employees with their FREE phone services, and I talk to "techs" and the "big dawgs" personal assistants all day, and I think you know that saying Sprint dropped it's own service for Verizon is an outright lie! Why on God's green earth would we pay for something we provide? Also, I wish everybody would stop driving the whole customer service line into the ground, the fact is customer service is improving and there are new programs put out every day to keep it improving! 👿
sugarandcyanide

Jul 15, 2008, 9:35 PM
i feel you on that one. this issue resolved thing is being etched into my brain -_-;

but our customer's (at least here in the lost and stolen) are mostly happy

♥ Cy
Feyerman

Aug 7, 2008, 2:40 PM
This is mostly based off of the lawsuit in California where a judge ruled Sprint could not collect on early teminations fees. Of course it is going to be appealed because its in excess of 5 million bucks.

You can buy a phone for the unactivated price and pay an activation fee when you ocntract is expired and have it activated currently. So whats the difference if you start that way or not. You can also change your cell phone plan anytime you like.
SprintGirl08

Aug 7, 2008, 6:52 PM
I Completely agree... i work in the corporate retail sales in a store here in Iowa and we are definately not commission based anymore to get our "sales" to customer service oriented sales reps. It's getting better but honestly IT DOES TAKE TIME PEOPLE.. I actually had 4 verizon wireless technicians come into my store the other day getting SPRINT wireless internet cards for their laptops because our service is so much better than verizons..
tmo32

Jan 22, 2009, 12:33 PM
actually i woked for the biggest sprint tech store in san antonio, all of the techs had verizon wireless and just kept thier sprint phones because the phone number was on thier business cards.sorry, but the service is just horrible...
Jameson07

Jul 9, 2008, 10:29 AM
no contract = no subsidized pricing... what company would take a loss without a guarantee that they will be making their money back?
tkboxer

Jul 12, 2008, 9:32 AM
Jameson07 said:
no contract = no subsidized pricing... what company would take a loss without a guarantee that they will be making their money back?

Making their money back? They already made some money selling the customer a phone for retail price. Now if that customer uses it on their network they have monthly revenue, and since the phone is a locked, branded CDMA phone, where else are they going to use it?
I see this as a good marketing strategy for Sprint, they give the customer the appearance of freedom without actually giving up much at all.
What I question is, why would anyone take this deal? You have essentially paid your ETF fee (your one benefit) upfront by paying retail for the phone, a phon...
(continues)
Yellowrose

Aug 6, 2008, 9:11 PM
May be a good idea, the only problem is finding people who want to pay full retail. Most think they should get a "free phone" when they damage it themselves.
WILLPHASE

Jun 19, 2008, 2:50 PM
this sounds like a good thing but if you think about it without subsidaizing the cost of the handset you are gonna end up spending a small fortune to get service this way. Dont get me wrong im excited about this because my credit isnt the greatest but im not looking forward to paying fulkl price for the phone i want.
lxav06

Jul 2, 2008, 4:51 PM
do it with no social and deposit is 150.00
crp62885

Jun 2, 2008, 9:55 AM
I dont believe it will completely change the industry, seeing T-Mobile has been doing this since Sept. 2007. It hasnt changed the industry, its just offered more people with bad credit a chance to get a phone. Just my opinion.
d3ity

Jun 2, 2008, 2:16 PM
It will just make thier customers alot easier to port.

And they're already porting by the thousands.
mjc5023

Jun 6, 2008, 10:59 PM
the only porting that sprint is doing is out to either VZW or ATT
cellfiend

Jun 7, 2008, 3:25 PM
This won't revolutionize anything. You can do this with other carriers. It's not bad to have, but sales reps won't make anything now.. so don't be so quick to go "omgx0r this is the kewlest thing ever!" and high end phones at retail will be more than 400. Considering an ETF is 200 getting a 400-550 dollar pda for 50 bucks may not be that bad of an option.

I'm just rambling though. Main point: this will suck for sales reps like flexpay on tmobile.
motoguy75

Jun 8, 2008, 3:42 PM
interesting point. i have noticed drops in sales at our area t-mobiles since they introduced flexpay. but since i work for a regional company that has no contracts, i'm kinda used to having to sell phones at full retail and it doesn't really hurt my pocket if they decide not to buy a phone. but i do have to admit that the company i work for does not carry pda's or any of the real high end phones. problem with selling at retail is customers will be complaining that they can get same phone from another company for less, but they seem to forget that they are stuck on a contract if they go with the other company.
llama

Jun 8, 2008, 4:55 PM
the word is PAID!
motoguy75

Jun 8, 2008, 5:00 PM
that is your point? the fact that it was misspelled? old man you need a new hobby
llama

Jun 8, 2008, 5:58 PM
If you can't use the language correctly, don't use ebonics or stupid guessing how to do it.

Yes, indeed education is a good thing.

BTW, there is a "check spelling" button for the dim-witted.
motoguy75

Jun 9, 2008, 10:46 AM
fricin'?

anyways.....
its not their fault that the american education system did not teach them how to properly spell. you do realize that they allow people with only 4th grade reading and grammar skills to graduate high school right?
liquidfire

Jun 9, 2008, 11:00 AM
yup. blame it on the schools
its not the person's fault they are too lazy to learn correct spelling or the fact that they are an idiot. nope, its never the person's fault anymore. Its always someone else's fault. 🙄
motoguy75

Jun 13, 2008, 1:58 PM
i blame the schools for making it even easier every year to "just get by"

i understand that each person is responsible to learn on their own, but the schools should not be giving out HS diplomas to people just because they were in athletics for 4 years either.
cellfiend

Jun 13, 2008, 4:19 PM
You blame the schools for what? llama was wrong. Read my further posts. Wtf does schooling have to do with spell check? I blame tards trying to impress other tards on the internet for this travesty of self deluded maniacal egotism.
tmo32

Jan 22, 2009, 12:52 PM
you guys are arguing about the spelling of a word...seriously guys?
ajlineman

Jan 22, 2009, 2:48 PM
Actually they stopped arguing about it 7 or 8 months ago.
THIS THREAD IS DEAD.
Please let it RIP
llama

Jun 9, 2008, 2:37 PM
But do you have to perperuate it? It makes you no better.

frickin' because the word I wanted to use is not family friendly.
SprintTechMN

Jun 11, 2008, 7:05 PM
It wont change how Sprint reps get payed. Starting July, they will be payed based on how many phones sold, and that's it.
cellfiend

Jun 10, 2008, 6:58 PM
😉
cellfiend

Jun 10, 2008, 6:30 PM
Either word works despite the fact spell check did not find an error since there was none.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/payed »
attwork

Jun 7, 2008, 4:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken, isnt this how they normaly do things over in Europe?
motoguy75

Jun 9, 2008, 10:47 AM
yes, you go in and buy a phone, then choose carrier/plan you wish to have
Jayshmay

Jun 23, 2008, 6:45 AM
That's the way it --SHOULD-- be!! !! !!

The only business carriers should be in is voice and data services, not handsets.

I haven't been under contract since October 2005, I use an unlocked Nokia N95-3.

Hopefully the U.S. market will become more like Europe in the near future.
warphone

Jul 14, 2008, 10:02 PM
Seeing as how Europe has so many different countries close together it makes sense that they would not have contracts. In the US no contracts period for the big dog carriers (at&t/VW) won't change any time soon. Just different packages for people who don't want a contract. And for most non contracted customers they typically don't get the same packages and data options as contracted people.
Jayshmay

Jul 15, 2008, 1:01 AM
The whole subject of contracts with BUSSINESSES really pisses me off, the only contract I believe in is marriage with a woman. This coming October I will have been contract FREE for 3yrs. Also because U.S. carriers refuse to carry the best phones, such as the one I've been carrying for 8 months now, Nokia N95-3.
crackberry

Jul 19, 2008, 9:18 PM
warphone said:
Seeing as how Europe has so many different countries close together it makes sense that they would not have contracts. In the US no contracts period for the big dog carriers (at&t/VW) won't change any time soon. Just different packages for people who don't want a contract. And for most non contracted customers they typically don't get the same packages and data options as contracted people.

at&t has been doing this for awhile now. i've hooked up many people without a contract. if a customer provides their own equipment or buys a phone at retail price they can activate post paid service with no contract.
motoguy75

Jun 8, 2008, 3:37 PM
this actually sounds interesting, i might come back if the plans are within my budget. and apparently you know nothing about flashing, we have been flashing sprint phones since this company opened and ya'll phones work fine on our service.
tblainem

Jun 10, 2008, 11:28 AM
you know this isnt a big deal alltel already does this. and has for a long time. if you buy the equipment then its yours. therefor full retail price = nocontract
coolestguyinsa

Jun 11, 2008, 4:25 PM
If this were to be true which I highly doubt, people would have to pay full price for the handset. Custys can barely pay a decent price with a mail in rebate, so again this would never happen.

Sprint is not like the cable co or the electric co where they have a monoply on the city.

Custys are leaving Sprint and your talking about no contracts, come on really, think about it!!!
Knightlyjay

Jun 14, 2008, 7:53 AM
I suppose it would be a full circle idea for them. When they started selling phones in 96-97, there were no contracts. It wasn't until about 2000 that they started doing business in the traditional manner. Most of you (and I don't say this in a pejorative sense) are too young to remember that Nynex Mobile and Cellular One also at one point had no contracts. About 1990 is when subsidized phones started really appearing and in 1992 are when the first free phones showed up in the marketplace. (Boy am I old) With the new rules being talked about, I suspect that most carriers will be looking at a lot of options. Sprint has recently (as late as 2006) offered no contract plans (full retail for the phone and 10$ extra per month for service)wi...
(continues)
crackberry

Jul 19, 2008, 9:20 PM
Knightlyjay said:
The model isn't the best one, but heck this industry is only 25 years old at this point. We still have a lot of evolution to go through.

25 years and no company has blanket coverage in this country... sounds like they all need to check into plan B.
Tmo Slave

Jun 14, 2008, 5:29 PM
does this. With the flexpay plan you just pay for the full cost of the phone or bring in your own phone. The only difference between the normal contracts and the no contracts is you pay in advance for your bill.

Not so revolutionary. 😉
brianm96

Jun 17, 2008, 10:09 AM
This is true, and they have had it for quite some time. As mentioned above, it's called Flexpay. Only downside is they charge $4.99/month if you don't sign up for automatic billing, and a max of 3 lines per account. Makes business sense though, I mean if you think about it, most phone companies base their phone prices directly on the length of the contract, so why not go all the way with it? And why do companies typically require contracts? Usually it is to ensure they will receive the revenue stream from the customer for long enough to cover their losses on equipment pricing and turn a profit after that. Many people don't realize that most carriers (except in some of the no-contract pricing scenerios,) loose money on the actual equipm...
(continues)
SprintTechMN

Jun 21, 2008, 11:01 AM
Nothing new, just new to us. Look at how carriers over seas do business. A lot smarter than we do.
llama

Jun 22, 2008, 4:12 PM
Funny you say that. Apparently you work for Sprint, and if we used the rest of the world's business model, more than likely you'd be unemployed.

Just because someone else does it differently does not make it better.
jedeye

Jun 22, 2008, 4:49 PM
I work for Sprint -- take orders all day for phones. If you buy a phone at full price, it does nothing to your commitment. Been that way at least for a year.
mark477

Jun 28, 2008, 5:30 PM
um yea not to mention i think ALL carries all ready do this. if you bring your own equipment you dont have to sign a contract. but a deposit may be required. the deposit is for the service not the phone. call customer service for your carriers i know for a fact you can bring your own equipment with ATT,Alltel, and Verizon
Tabemaju

Jul 6, 2008, 8:10 PM
You work for Sprint and you don't realize that every customer you're signing up for Sprint is under contract? It doesn't matter if they have their own phone, buy one outright, etc; they are ALWAYS under contract under current M&Ps.
jpglowrod

Jul 1, 2008, 3:18 PM
Sprint is the premiere waste off money company , when you feal the need to waste money just visit your local sprint store and you can eather buy some drugs from one of there 100 beep beep customers or by and new EXTINCT phone which let me tell ya a major waste of 200 bucks , so ass it stands Sprint IS STILL THE LEADER IN THE SUCKY PHONE SERVICE.

AT&T WE DONT MIND IF WE ARE ON THE TOP OR THE BOTTOM AS LONG AS WE ARE GETTING SOME!!!!!!!!
gldnhrtrblfst

Jul 1, 2008, 3:40 PM
yeah i have no idea what happened to you in regards to sprint, but you need to calm down. Really nobody cares about your opinion because ure rants are nonsensical and idiotic.

i have had both sprint and ATT and sprint is better in my area. SO just stop crying and get a life
jpglowrod

Jul 2, 2008, 8:48 AM
You should keep your comments to your self next time if you feel that highly about SPRINT then go find the other 100 lonley Sprint customer that are left and talk to them leave my name out of your mouth.
gldnhrtrblfst

Jul 2, 2008, 11:41 AM
1. Generally i type with my fingers not my mouth

2. I never said i kept sprint is such high regard.

3. Taliban Tuerkey leader? thats just lame, like come on at least insult me in a way that makes sense

4. Your still a crybaby
zeebull

Jul 8, 2008, 9:37 AM
i read somewhere that the fcc itself is petitioning a bill allowing any custy to do this for any carrier as long as they pay full price for their handset
eaglebqh

Jul 8, 2008, 10:57 AM
I haven't read all the responses to this thread - but that's what AT&T does already. I bought the N75 last year - paid full price - and have no contract.
acepfool

Jul 10, 2008, 10:53 AM
If they are going to have no contracts, does anyone have a time fram of when they will roll this out?
michaelmykill

Jul 13, 2008, 3:15 PM
Not too soon i guess
tkboxer

Jul 15, 2008, 11:34 PM
acepfool said:
If they are going to have no contracts, does anyone have a time fram of when they will roll this out?

Essentially, once you have fulfilled your initial contract if you upgrade your phone with a unlocked phone of your choice or purchase a phone from AT&T at full price you have no contract.
Milkballz

Jul 21, 2008, 8:33 AM
U.S. Cellular has been doing that for some time now.
-chels-

Jan 21, 2009, 7:08 PM
Never gonna happen. Boost is the closest.
wade496

Jan 21, 2009, 7:16 PM
like being a day late and a dollar short or something all of the messages you replied with are all super old.
-chels-

Jan 21, 2009, 8:01 PM
just really bored. lol. sorry. I'll stop.
ajlineman

Jan 21, 2009, 9:05 PM
Besides the fact that she's completely wrong. If you pay full price for a phone Sprint won't require a contract.
The contract is just for the discounted pricing.
phoneguy24

Jan 22, 2009, 11:58 AM
I actually don't think she is completely wrong. If I remember correctly, Sprint is the last of the big 4 carriers to offer no-commitment pricing. I believe there is only one option called the "month to month" plan for $40 if you want to go without a contract on Sprint, other than that it is 2 year contract. If I am wrong please let me know.
monkey0717

Feb 23, 2009, 2:29 PM
wow sprint no contracts pay for the phone out right......verizon does the same thing!!!! No matter wat sprint does there not gonna stay in buisness for long and if u wanna tell yourself there gonna stay in buisness well watever makes you sleep better at night go for it 🤣
Burger Time

Feb 23, 2009, 5:05 PM
fixed.
TmobileEmp

Mar 3, 2009, 5:28 PM
YAY!!! About time someone did something about that 😁
bigdfan70

Mar 8, 2009, 12:30 PM
WILL NOT HAPPEN!.....PERIOD

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.