Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Wierd phone scam? What is it? Pls answer

Violet11

May 18, 2008, 9:59 AM
I am a Verizon customer -- whole package, tv, computer and phone service. This is about the long distance service

I call frequent numbers in the UK and I am connected to a phoney recording that is supposed to make you think that a person has answered the phone. It goes like this:

Hello? (pause) yeah, hold on. (pause) PHONE!! (Then the caller waits for the person to get the phone. There are background noises such as a television set and a barking dog. It goes on forever. And if you stay on there, you will continue to hear a fake domestic scene with someone yelling and that dog continuing to bark, etc)

I was fooled by this the first time. I called a colleague in the UK and I thought that someone else had picked up his mobile phone at ...
(continues)
Briza

May 19, 2008, 6:14 AM
Can't answer really, other than to say it just happened to me. I was calling the UK as well, from Vietnam, on an IP phone call.

It is kind of funny, really. It happened on Friday and I was convinced that I had actually been connected to who I was calling. I waited a while, then gave up. When it happened today it was a creepy deja vu and I realised it was a scam.

Not much coverage of it on the Internet yet, but I reckon it will start to bubble up.

Oh well! Just another thing to be aware of I guess.

b
d3ity

Jun 2, 2008, 2:23 PM
They are coming for you soon... Follow the white rabbit.
A2

Jun 17, 2008, 2:46 PM
I found this thread while searching the www for more information about this exact problem.

You can add two more victims to the list. In the last month, I have had this happen to me twice, both times calling UK mobile from US VOIP phone. Today, someone else in another US state reported it on another forum as a problem with a client (thinking it a genuine call.) You can see the thread here: http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t =6855

So far, I had identified that both of us are using cordless VOIP phones, mine is a Uniden system with service from Optimum Online. The other person was using a mobile VOIP through VONAGE.

What is this? Is it malicious? Virus in nature? What is it's purpose? My concern is that it is hijacking the ...
(continues)
phadobas

Jun 17, 2008, 11:42 PM
This is what I observed. I set up a call center with about 100 seats. I use SIP trunks. We make a lot of international calls. At one point, we started running into these messages, and wasn't long before my callers realized it was a recording. It mainly occurs to UK cell-phones and Australia. We also had incidents to Italy. 2 days ago, my autodialer was calling Australia, and in a matter of an hour, it gathered a list of about 300 calls that went to this message. I sent this to my SIP provider, who changed the route and since then we are good. Before that, we used another provider who encountered the same thing, but didn't do anything to handle it. It's definitely some sort of scam. Looks like some carrier is involved abroad. If I find out so...
(continues)
rwfaulk

Jul 25, 2008, 11:40 AM
Who is your long distance phone service provider? I have recieved the recording calling UK mobile but was calling over a regular phone line.
rbwilliams

Aug 1, 2008, 11:45 PM
No answers here, sorry... just more questions.

I live in The Bahamas but I am Australian and I was trying to call my brother's cell phone in Australia tonight when I got the exact same recorded message described by Violet11. I was calling from a regular land line. I realised it was a hoax because I tried to call the cell phone of a friend in Australia a month ago and the same thing happened. I didn't realise it was a recording at the time. I just thought that I got a wrong number and the person who answered misheard me and then forgot or something. That sounds a bit far fetched now obviously and as soon as I heard the dog barking and the tv blaring on this message, I realised. There is very little about this on the internet. What a...
(continues)
Drunk

May 21, 2009, 10:43 AM
Robin Williams?
Ha! You have a potty mouth in your stand up!
Drunk

May 21, 2009, 11:32 AM
Ok so rbwilliams is a member as of Aug 2, 2008
This post he did is Aug 1, 2008

Can anyone say WTF?
How and why did this happen? I'm freaking out
GraGG

May 21, 2009, 3:06 PM
that is a trip, hes going back in time to post on ps!!!!! 😲
Craft27

May 21, 2009, 5:34 PM
Time Zone differences maybe. He could have become a member around midnight on Aug 1st, the ps server used there own time zone to say when he became a member, yet the post used his time zone. I dont know, just winging it over here. trying to think on my feet for a logically explaination. Thats what we do do in the Wireless sales industy anyways.

ewww, is that a midget over there!!!!
WGAFSTER

May 20, 2009, 11:51 AM
i work for a services company here in the USA and i have had a bunch of people give me that number. This number is connected to Fraud for people from the UK who are up to no good and put what seems like legitimate numbers online while purchasing products..be careful and do not transact business w/ these people we were out $7kusd!!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.