Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 12 replies

at&t/cingular

cellconn

Jan 20, 2004, 4:02 PM
hey gang... just heard from a fairly reliable source that cingular will be announcing the buyout of at&t wireless inside the next 48 hours. anyone else heard anything (especially if it's different?) 😳
cai

Jan 20, 2004, 4:10 PM
What I heard is that Cingular is putting in a bid for ATT. Also, it is rumoured that Vodafone, DOKOMO and T-Mobile may not just lie down and wait for this to happen. Seems as if things are going to get shaken-up a bit in the next few weeks.

My take is that Cingular and ATT deserve each other. As far as I know, they have the worst customer service, misery multiplied by two just doubles it.
Gmoney34

Jan 20, 2004, 4:16 PM
Just saw this article at rcrnews.com:

Breaking News

Reports: Cingular makes formal AWS offer

by Dan Meyer
Jan. 20, 2004 12:31 PM EST

Cingular Wireless L.L.C. has reportedly made a formal offer to acquire rival AT&T Wireless Services Inc. in a move that if approved by AT&T Wireless’ board of directors, which is meeting this week ahead of the carrier’s fourth-quarter and year-end financial results announcement next week, would result in the creation of the country’s largest wireless carrier with approximately 45 million subscribers.

Published reports citing a source close to the deal noted Cingular’s offer was an all-cash proposal believed to be at a premium over AT&T Wireless’ current $10 per share trading price on the N...
(continues)
Big Daddy

Jan 20, 2004, 5:26 PM
Yes and I work for ATTWS, unemployment here I come.
moobak

Jan 20, 2004, 11:51 PM
Naw the Canadain centers would probably be the last to suffer any layoffs, if there would be any at all anyway.

this is amazing news, woohoo.
Funny this, everyone thinks AWS is so so bad, yet they have five differnet providers looking to gobble them up!
Method55

Jan 22, 2004, 3:04 AM
Yeah....i'm not too worried about my job either, and am kinda excited about it. If DoCoMo or Vodafone ends up winning just imagine a phone you can travel with to other countries with no roaming....possibly a DOR International plan...would be nice at least. Cingular wouldn't be bad either as it would give Verizon a swift kick hopefully.
Manwithastick

Jan 25, 2004, 3:32 PM
Just because a company from another country buys out T-mobile doesnt mean you will be able to travel internationally without roaming; After all T-mobile is owned by deutch-Telecom and they dont offer that
ATandT

Jan 21, 2004, 3:34 AM
That shows the extent of your knowledge
Tea Dez

Jan 22, 2004, 2:52 PM
Hmmm... everyone seems so thrilled about this merger/buyout whatever you want to call it. Yet the only people I hear that are even possibly thrilled by this is employees of both companies (and some who are worried about job security). Since I don't work for either company and all I am is a lowly customer (AWS) all I want to know is what is going to happen with the customers? 21 million to supposedly 45 million...oh I can't wait to be on hold for more than 4 hrs once this happens (Sarcasm...the wait will probably only be 2 hrs 🤣 ) Oh and my current plan... I wonder will it stay the same or will it change? (Please don't try and tell me it won't because who can really say?) I see all the potential bliss (rollover & bigger coverage area 😁 )...
(continues)
annetagonist

Jan 23, 2004, 10:01 PM
Good news, you won't have to buy new equip. Both companies use same network. One tip... if you have GSM service, and need to call ATT, call the 2G customer care queue and have them transfer you. They get through in 1/10th the time you do.
annetagonist

Jan 23, 2004, 10:11 PM
Sittin in a tree.. K I S S I N G....
The Alchemist

Jan 24, 2004, 6:16 PM
I guess this "reliable source" wasn't so reliable since there wasn't a "buyout" of AT&T Wireless by last Thursday (48 hours from the date of your original post). You got a good one.
moobak

Jan 27, 2004, 1:22 AM
The offer is in front of AT&T Wireless's board of directors. Everyone is keeping their mouthes shut, since this might not even happen. Rumor has it cingular is just making the bid to get T-Mobile back at the table so they can look into a merger as well.

NTT DoCoMo is only bidding really to sweeten their persentage of AWS they ownm (15% I think?), before they sell off those shares at a higher price.

Nextel is a buyee, not a buyer, lol.

T-Mobile is despirate for a merger since their network is lacking in comparison to the major GSM players Cingular, and AT&T Wireless. If Cingular/AWS merged, T-Mo will be left with massive holes in their network since Cingular/AWS will probably drop their agreements since they won't need them anymore,...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.