Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 44 replies

which is better? Verizon, ATT or Cingular, also number portability

greydog

Oct 31, 2003, 12:44 AM
I am in So Cal. Have had ATT TDMA for the last 4 years. It seems that the service has deteriorated over the last 6 months. I get no answers from ATT, although their customer care people try to be helpful. Are they trying to push customers to their new GSM? I am considering a switch to Verizon (for better coverage and service) or Cingular for phones with better features (bluetooth, world coverage, speaker phones etc.) I don't want to give up good coverage or call quality. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

I talked to a Cingular "sales" guy who was asking all of the closing questions to get me to switch now. When I said I was waiting for 11/24 and number portability, he said it wouldn't happen except for 100 major citie...
(continues)
prcstrp

Oct 31, 2003, 10:37 AM
number portability is happening..per FCC..but yes in the major 100 cities..u would kind of have to wait to see when it came if u are affected.
prcstrp

Nov 1, 2003, 8:44 AM
Wireless customers in the nation’s largest 100 markets will generally be able to take their phone numbers with them when they switch wireless carriers.
cellconn

Jan 7, 2004, 6:03 PM
you can still port if you are outside of the topp 100 areas but you are not going to get a quick turn areound time. the fcc is not going to gaurantee your number being ported, i believe until may of this year. so yes you can keep your number even outside of top 100 markets but how long you wait is a whole other story.
SKYLER

Jan 7, 2004, 6:07 PM
I SELL VERIZON & I DEAL WITH A LOT OF CUSTOMERS FEEDBACK. I FEEL IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WHERE U LIVE & YOUR TRAVELING HABITS WHEN DETERMINING WHOSE BETTER. EACH CARRIER HAS ITS OWN NICHE.
95mike

Jan 7, 2004, 6:53 PM
Agreed. Find a good deal/phone/coverage combo that fits you. Also, I have not been able to port any numbers outside the top 100 areas yet. I tried twice today. I don't think a carrier will release the number if they don't have to.
kansasdoll20

Nov 18, 2003, 5:53 PM
Beginning nov 24th there is going to be federal rule where it will allow customers to change their carrirs and keep the number they always had - @ this point you will only be able to port your # within the same geographic area - at first only 100 major cities can support this but as of may 23,2004 the rest of the markets will be open, As of the carrier that is the best i'd have to say at&t as in the customer service options are great
braindamaged

Nov 24, 2003, 3:41 AM
Sprint has the best sevice plans along with the best technology, but I do not like their phones. I am waiting for Nokia to make a 3660 style phone for Sprint. This is when I will swith to Sprint. The Samsungs and the Sanyo's just do not have what i want. Also, ATTWS seems to have the largest selection of phones.
Big Daddy

Nov 24, 2003, 9:55 AM
flip phones are the devils work
dougc

Oct 31, 2003, 8:55 PM
I've had the same experience with ATTWS in the middle of the country, and the GMS coverage is nothing. Almost any other carrier can offer you 2.5 or 2G stuff on existing networks, meaning no loss in coverage. I tried Verizon and it continually went to Extended Area, dropping calls (Omaha) which ATTWS TDMA never did anywhere. I've carried a Sprint Samsung VGA1000 for almost two weeks, signal as good as AT&T, plus pix and 3G mobile net. I think I'll stick with it. It's really a shame about ATTWS. Cingular isn't in this market.
dougc

Oct 31, 2003, 8:57 PM
And -- I got the phone for $100, about the same ATTWS would charge me for a new TDMA offering voice and SMS like I have now!
ATTWS_H8TR

Nov 1, 2003, 9:29 PM
none! Don't get a cell phone!
qagirl

Nov 1, 2003, 10:49 PM
You may be able to inquire with VZW a few weeks before LNP goes into effect. If you are not in one of the top 100 MSA's then no, you would not be able to port right away, but in mid 2004, carriers will be required to have the ability to port to/from all markets.
C Dixon

Nov 2, 2003, 5:01 PM
Although it may seem that Verizon has the better coverage, ATT has the better rate plans. Plus they're the only carrier that allows unlimited received text msgs. I have ATT and live in So Fla so my coverage is excellent! I think the main competition will be btwn ATT and Cingular.
vega

Nov 2, 2003, 11:39 PM
the cdma network does not use a fast busy when a cell site is handling the maximum amount of calls it can handle. the voice quality then deteriorates when the site takes on an excessive amount of calls. verizon has a huge amount of customers and is expecting more when lnp takes place. verizon's call quality is already suffering and will only get worse. they do have high speed data(1xrtt), but rely heavily on there anolog network. which means that as the phone reads anaolg while walking around the small, sparsely populated town of san francisco CA your internet will be unavailable as will your digital features including caller id, txt messaging and voice mail waiting indicator. they do have the "largest network" though...only because they rea...
(continues)
evengrift

Nov 7, 2003, 1:27 PM
This is false, and shows a lack of clear understanding of how CDMA works. CDMA generally doesn't have a 'hard' upper limit like TDMA or GSM. CDMA = Code division multiple access, everyone uses every available frequency all of the time, the receiver then discerns what belongs to whom. TDMA = Time Division multiple access, run out of available time slices and you've hit a hard capacity limit. GSM uses Frequency ranges, run out of available ranges and you've hit the hard limit.

Although it is true that call quality may degrade with very high usage under CDMA, at the same point neither of the other technologies would be available. To prevent degradation in quality in some situations CDMA carriers may choose to impose an artificial soft l...
(continues)
qagirl

Nov 7, 2003, 8:55 PM
Actually, VZW DOES have "the largest, most advanced, nationwide wireless network". And we are the only company that can legally make that claim. Which is why we ARE the only company making that claim. That fact is indisputable.

Notice Sprint only says "largest all digital"....still doesn't make anywhere near the size of VZW.

And ATTW isn't even talking about network size. They're talking about "trust". If they had the largest network they'd certainly be advertising that fact.
evengrift

Nov 8, 2003, 12:12 AM
I like how Verizon people make their claims with qualifications, the fact is the most prevalent network is still AMPS, and still owned by ATT.

As I said, Sprint has the largest digital network, you've said nothing (and I doubt you'd dare) to refute that.

It's funny that this is the same juxtaposition of logically true statements that Verizon reps always try on me. Well compared to ATT we're more advanced, granted, compared to Sprint PCS, we have a bigger network, granted. Unfortunately a + b does not equal C, you don't as a result have the biggest digital network, or biggest network. It's been a couple months since I've talked to a Verizon rep, but my guess is they'd hit the same trap, and the usual deer in headlights look would com...
(continues)
qagirl

Nov 8, 2003, 11:09 AM
Verizon has more company owned towers than ATTWS. Not only that, our towers cover more square footage of service than ATTWS. And on top of that, yes, we have more customers. Pick your reason. Any way you look at it, VZW HAS the largest network. Yes, Sprint has the largest "all digital".... for now. But that doesn't even put Sprint in contention for the "largest network". Their service limitations are well-known throughout the industry. VZW is still converting much of it's analog over to digital so even that claim will change in the near future.

A smart company will intigrate several technologies in order to create a more robust network nationwide, which is exactly what VZW did. Analog is ideal for certain areas that don't necess...
(continues)
Avalanche23

Nov 8, 2003, 3:14 PM
I have a question for you. I have 5 lines with ATTWS right now that I plan to move over to Verizon on Nov. 24. What if I don't wait until Nov. 24 and just go ahead and activate 5 lines with Verizon today with whatever cell phone number they assign me? Can I ask Verizon to port my ATTWS numbers over on Nov. 24 and replace the numbers on my Verizon phones with my old ATTWS numbers?
VZW Sales

Nov 8, 2003, 3:50 PM
If everything goes as planned, yes you will. They will have to fax you a form to fill out. Make sure you do not cancel your ATTWS before, though.
emurillojr

Nov 8, 2003, 4:16 PM
why did u want to cancel?
Avalanche23

Nov 8, 2003, 5:35 PM
It's a long story. I have had 6 lines with ATTWS since they were L.A. Cellular. I think my oldest line probably went back 15 years. A couple of months ago, I lost one of the phones and since all 6 lines were way past the contract periods, I could have cancelled the line with the lost phone and activated a new one just to get a free phone. Instead, I called CS and asked if they could do anything for me on a Nokia 3560. It was being offered free on the ATTWS website at the time for new activations. I called 2 times and both times all I was offered was $30 credit towards the 3560, even with my length of service with ATTWS and my 6 lines and my offer to sign a new contract. If I activated a new line to get the free 3560, I would have lost...
(continues)
IIXxRaVeNxXII

Nov 8, 2003, 5:45 PM
Yea, ATTWS does suck on GSM Coverage...
emurillojr

Nov 8, 2003, 6:20 PM
with that much loyalty and lines on the acct i wouldve gave you that phone for free honestly
i am sorry the other reps didnt feel that way i guess the cost will be losing all your lines
emurillojr

Nov 8, 2003, 6:21 PM
actually i'd probably give you all 6 lines free phones
Avalanche23

Nov 8, 2003, 7:17 PM
Where were you when I needed you! Seriously, I guess that's always a problem when individual reps. have the flexibility to decide company policy in each case. I'm not one to beg for something that I thought was reasonable and even though I did request to speak to a supervisor, the first rep. told me that it was useless because the supervisor wouldn't give me a different answer. I do thank those reps. though for forcing me to try out Verizon which I never thought I would, being one of ATTWS biggest supporter all these years. I still think ATTWS is a great company and the CS are usually so accommodating and I hate to leave it but the reality is that, where I live, the Verizon coverage is better just as, I'm sure, ATTWS may be better in oth...
(continues)
IIXxRaVeNxXII

Nov 8, 2003, 7:29 PM
You actually think you speak with a supervisor?!?

HAHAHA, They think they have enough time for you...
emurillojr

Nov 8, 2003, 8:00 PM
i am only going to answer this by... "Reven you dont work in customer care so dont make assumptions about customer care Supervisors" also go to the att wireless or the rumore FOREM and see what care reps are really saying about you...
emurillojr

Nov 8, 2003, 7:54 PM
thats bullshit the Supervisor wouldnt give you the same answer this company is built on "loyalty" and "trust" U trusted us and were loyal to us for 15 years the loyal customers is what keeps us going NOT the joe schmo that just activated the acct today.... and got the free phone

you spent how much money on us in 15 years and that rep cant give you a 145.00 phone for free....

u see my point.
i am extremely sorry that we will lose you as a customer 6 times. i understand your coverage issue and u are right where as some wireless companies are better in some places than others.
evengrift

Nov 8, 2003, 10:13 PM
Keep with the spin girl, don't actually refute my points. Whether AT&T owns the towers or not is irrelevant. If their customer has seamless access to them for no additional fee it counts, whether the result of inter-network roaming agreements, or cross investment. AT&T still gives it's customers the largest footprint because of the old AMPS network.

The rest of your post makes less sense. We were talking about 2 different things, who has the largest network, and who has the largest digital network. The service limitations line is crap. Customers want digital service, and they want it now, Sprint PCS is best positioned to offer that right now. And most people, as I said are covered by a digital service, Sprint PCS is most likely to c...
(continues)
qagirl

Nov 9, 2003, 12:44 PM
Do some research on Single Rate National plans from VZW. They have no roaming...period. If your phone can pick up a signal, ANY signal, you are covered nationwide, whether we have an agreement with that carrier or not. We eat the roaming fees. I can guarantee you THAT is the largest footprint.

Then you have America's Choice. The coverage for this plan not only includes our company owned network nationwide, which is the largest, it also includes roaming agreements with many other carriers to extend that coverage. One of those companies we have roaming agreements with happens to be ATTWS. Your network IS our network as far as our customers are concerned. I'd put this coverage up against Sprint's Free & Clear any day.

Then you have...
(continues)
evengrift

Nov 10, 2003, 10:23 AM
Sprint PCS's Free and Clear America offers the same thing. If there's signal, you can use it, no roaming Fee's. THAT is the largest footprint, because Sprint PCS's phones are generally better, and are *more* likely to pick up a signal.

Then you compare apple's to oranges, Sprint PCS's network vs. Verizon + Roaming agreement. Sorry I'm not biting.

Regional Plans, every carrier has, just so happens in New England, Sprint PCS's regional plans are more then $5 cheaper (much more then $5 if you factor data), So take a Sprint PCS regional plan and add the $5 for Free and Clear America. Still a better deal, with the same or better footprint, and better digital coverage.

Obviously, I was referring to the networks that would make up Ver...
(continues)
WhizKid

Nov 10, 2003, 12:04 PM
Sprint has very bad network all over the country. No building penetration and dropped calls - lots of dead spots even in metros. If we add horrible customer service to it, I will not get Sprint even if they pay me.

Verizon has the largest DIGITAL network in the country. On top of their impressive coverage, their network reliability (superior building penetration, fewest dropped calls, fewest or no dead spots in major metros) and awesome customer service is truly remarkable.

Even if Sprint plans are 50% cheaper than Verizon's plans, I wouldnt choose Sprint.

-WK.
StarrWulfe

Nov 10, 2003, 1:24 PM
WhizKid said:
Sprint has very bad network all over the country. No building penetration and dropped calls - lots of dead spots even in metros. If we add horrible customer service to it, I will not get Sprint even if they pay me.
-WK.

Well I can only speak from experience... 6 years of it to be exact -- all of it with Sprint, while trying out the various carriers at one point. I never left sprint because of a few things

1. Coverage-- Sprint may look smaller on the maps, but my father had VZW and as far as coverage here in St Louis, Atlanta, and NYC, he'd drop calls like a bad habit, and would ask for mine-- especially in St louis, and Manhattan. We're the only company that publishes a map of our act...
(continues)
WhizKid

Nov 10, 2003, 12:10 PM
Verizon is the best wireless provider, period. EOS.

Sprint's no-roaming plans are as stupid as they get. First Sprint's network uses PCS signal which has inferior building penetration capabilities. Also due to poor network planning, Sprint suffers from cell site shrinkage issues resulting in lots of dead spots and dropped calls. Since Sprint phones will use competitor's roaming towers only when there is no native Sprint coverage, the users are doomed to the inferior Sprint service whenever they use Sprint's signal. Services such as txt message, data, etc will not work while roaming.

To top that, Sprint's customer service is the WORST of all wireless providers.

My order of best wireless networks is
1. Verizon wireless.

after a...
(continues)
vega

Nov 10, 2003, 7:10 PM
i guess the sarcasm in my post went way over your head. s.f. is a large, overpopulated city. which is why i find it ironic that my girlfriend's verizon phone frequently switches over to analog. this leaves her w/o internet and digital features while on " the best wireless network" in a major metropolitan area. "This is false, and shows a lack of clear understanding of how CDMA works" "although it is true that call quality may degrade with very high usage under CDMA." wouldn't this be considered gibberish? i don't know what i'm talking about, but my statements are true. you should do everyone a favor and cut your fingers off... that way no one would have to be subjected to your posts. 🀣
evengrift

Nov 7, 2003, 1:17 PM
False, sprint pcs includes unlimited text messaging with any vision plan.
wb

Nov 11, 2003, 8:21 PM
Wow! This seems have turned into a spat of Verizon versus Sprint. While both sides of this battle continue to claim supremacy I will opt to sit it out and wait. VZW might end up with more customers through portable numbers but the size of the population being served is not a valid measure of which is literally the best- only which is the most popular.
PS. Not too long ago customers were stating that Verizon was refusing to allow its customers to utilize Sprint. Has this changed?

I am sorry to hear about your conflict with AT&T. Such reports are why I stuck with Cingular. AT&T's TDMA gets better in building penetration than Cingular's GSM- in the Everett area. In Bellevue AT&T can blast Cingular out of the water, but then their...
(continues)
Worf

Nov 15, 2003, 5:44 PM
Although you didn't ask, I prefer Nextel. Just wanted to put my .02 in.
theLGman

Nov 15, 2003, 11:24 PM
I'd have to say it all depends on what you're looking for. If its customer service reliability and the largest coverage area, I would recommend Verizon. Its the largest Nationwide Network in the United States.
theLGman

Nov 15, 2003, 11:31 PM
Its not a question of whether or not VZW allows to utilize Sprint. Sprint uses proprietary software that is not compatible with any other carrier.

On a side note, to answer a question about number portability, according to CTIA and Forbes magazine and the Wall Street Journal, VZW seems to be the most prepared for the November 24th date. They created a customer service site, built and manned specifically to handle LNP.
annetagonist

Jan 7, 2004, 6:47 PM
Wireless carriers are as different as apples and oranges. If you are a truck driver, pilot, flight attendant or a person who does lots of road travel, I would recommend ATT wireless TDMA or Verizon. You do get more for your money with ATT wireless no roaming plans (Digital One Rate) than you would with a Verizon no roaming plan (America's Choice).
For GSM, (good mainly in major cities) ATT wireless and Cingular are the best choices because they have the money to invest in the technology and build-out. They also have the best GSM equipment, for the cheapest prices. As far as customer service goes, ATT wireless, Cingular and Verizon have all been rated best by many different consumer polls. S...
(continues)
SPRINTPDAGUY

Jan 22, 2009, 5:45 PM
πŸ‘Ώ πŸ‘Ώ πŸ‘Ώ πŸ‘Ώ 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈 🀣 🀣
OfAMightDivine

Jan 22, 2009, 11:55 PM
Was it really needed to bring up a post from 4 1/2 years ago, just to laugh at someone who hasn't posted anything since November 2003?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.