Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 27 replies

No month 2 month with Verizon

rtcarradine

Dec 1, 2007, 6:47 PM
Why is it that you cant purchase a phone straight out from verizon and just get on one of the plans without being on a contract? YOu can with Tmobile and Sprint.
Ghosthendrikson

Dec 1, 2007, 6:55 PM
Verizon allows you to purchase any of their phones at retail cost and place them on their INPULSE plans, which is Verizon's "pre-pay" or "month to month" options.
Hombre07

Dec 1, 2007, 8:19 PM
I don't think he wants prepaid he just doesn't want a contract. Same monthly service rates postpaid but no contract.
rtcarradine

Dec 1, 2007, 9:54 PM
YOu are correct Hombre07. Thanks for clearing that up.
Lapdog

won't happen.
mleeber

Jan 3, 2008, 5:10 PM
Verizon is the most consumer unfriendly carrier out there...unfortunately they have the best coverage! They will succeed without the best priceplans or the coolest phones just because of their coverage.
vzace

Jan 8, 2008, 12:47 PM
how are they consumer unfriendly? just because they dont give away unlimited minutes for basically free every month? unlike nextel and sprint and tmobile and the rest of them verizon has a customer base that understands that to get THE BEST cell phone company your gonna have to pay for it. the only reason nextel gives away unlimited minutes for basically free is because they have no customer base...in the 3rd quarter of last year they let go 29,000 "problem" customers just because they didnt want to help them...now if you want unlimited minutes with a company who doesnt care about you as a customer go right ahead. but letting go customers just because you dont want to help sounds more like consumer unfriendly to me.
rainbow_metals

Jan 18, 2008, 1:47 PM
well actually it would help if you had the right figures because it was only 2900 customers that were let go and it is the terms and conditions of service that if you threaten/harrass a sprint/nextel employee, they may terminate service in these circumstances, as far as i know the reason that nextel released these customers is because they kept calling for the same issues and they were already told that it was not something that could be done, like getting unlimited minutes for free. by the way, the cheapest is 99.99 for unl minutes with out long distance and that is an extra 30.00 or if you are a GM employee your eligible for 111.10 unl plan.
vreaper

Jan 20, 2008, 3:08 PM
damn, so glad that was cleared up, 2900 customers dropped simultaniously is much more consumer friendly.

i think it's damn considerable, however, that sprint would do that. the customers are obviously unhappy and instead of saying "pay the etf or shut up and take it" they not only let them out of the contract, but go ahead and cancel the service for them, saving the already pissed off customer the aggravation of having to call up and voluntarilly cancel. then of course the customer is free to go to verizon and sign up for either pre-pay or a contract.

personally, i find it funny that someone from sprint says verizon doesn't have "the coolest phones out there", but whatev. I haven't seen sprint's answer to the i-phone, but even if it...
(continues)
DarkStar

Jan 20, 2008, 5:27 PM
oh with that small little screen. Where is Verizon's answer to the iPhone? Oh they don't even come close now do they. Oh but wait what is this I see on my desk? Oh its the HTC Touch with 3g technology.
vreaper

Jan 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
alright, first of all, i'd like to point out that nobody, not even your dog, likes you all that much.

second of all, i didn't realize you wanted to bring smartphones and pda's into the equation because neither the i-phone or the voyager are in that category. if i realized that i would have said something like... i don't kno... the samsung i760 with a slide out keyboard, touch screen display, wi-fi capability, ect. but whatever, i'll compare your htc laptop to my lg gameboy.

first of all, you say the voyager has a small screen? ok, i'll give it to you that the htc's 2.8" display is wider than the voyager's 2.81" display, but i think i can live with that seeing as how the voyager has more pixels than the touch anyway.

smartphone: ...
(continues)
shanlynn

Dec 1, 2007, 8:24 PM
You can purchase a phone at full retail at the end of your contract so you can keep your great service but other than that no way Jose'. The only time you get the lower price is if it for a new activation or upgrade if somebody told you that you had to extend then they need a new job. Pay full price do an esn change then no contract extention.
rtcarradine

Dec 1, 2007, 9:53 PM
I am not a Verizon customer. I want to pay full price for a phone and use one of VZW plans without having to do a deposit, credit check. or contract. Is it possible?
Lapdog

nope.
rtcarradine

Dec 1, 2007, 10:02 PM
What if I purchase the phone elsewhere (i.e ebay) Would I be able to then activate and do postpaid?
Hombre07

Dec 1, 2007, 10:48 PM
You will still have to run credit. There's no way around that. Deposit will depend on credit unless you go prepaid. The easiest way to do what you want is get a 12 month with a discounted phone, in 12 months buy whatever phone whenever you want for however much no contract.
NaCH

Dec 5, 2007, 9:29 AM
Wait this doesnt make any sense, what happens when your contract runs out? Do you simply have to resign to keep your service? Im sure theres a way around it. Im pretty sure U can walk in with a phone and they will be more than happy to activate it for you. Theres usually an extra charge youll pay a month for not being under contract though
Jennyboo

Dec 5, 2007, 7:50 PM
No, after you've fulfilled a contract you go on a month to month basis. You only need to resign if you want to change your plan or upgrade a phone at a discounted price.

Most companies (if any) don't offer month to month plans anymore. Our company used to with a 10.00 per mo extra service charge and no discount on the phones but we don't do that anymore.

So if there was a way to activate the phone on a month to month plan then reps would be more than happy to activate, but in most cases it's just not gonna happen. And there still would be a credit check and a possible deposit if it were even an option anymore.
colione112

Dec 13, 2007, 10:57 PM
I think the point he wants to know... "can you activate a phone without a contract or credit check".

You have to run credit if you want to activate a regular postpaid plan, contract or no contract. There is no way around it.

But, if you buy a phone at full retail, you do not have to do a contract, but you will need to pass a credit check.
Jayshmay

Dec 19, 2007, 6:38 PM
I've been with Cingular/AT&T for almost 6yrs, my last 2 phones have been unlocked, and I haven't been under contract since Oct of '05. Month-2-month for over 2yrs!!!!!!

Verizon is just plane and simple evil business practices.

Also, with AT&T anything on a customers account can be changed in anyway, without having to do another contract
HuMaNfLaW

Dec 5, 2007, 2:57 PM
there is no way to sign up for service without a contract term. when you are out of contract though there are no extra fees to maintain service and renewel is not required as long as you do not get discounted equipment.

I find it hard to believe tough that there is no credt check if you bring your own phone to a post pay plan with another carrier. the reason for the check is to ensure you are financially responsible for a post pay account.
BigShowJB

Dec 6, 2007, 12:11 PM
i'm just curious as to Why exactly you don't want a credit check. if someone wanted to do tha at my store, i'd instantly be raising red flags. I'm certain that I could do it, but i'd be very interested to hear the reason.
rtcarradine

Dec 6, 2007, 12:56 PM
No particular reason. I just assumed that when you buy a phone upfront with no special discounts you didnt have to do a credit check or get into a long term contract. I have been with my carrier for over 5 years and I just want a sidekick with another company. No big deal about the credit check just didnt want the long contract.
rtcarradine

Dec 6, 2007, 1:08 PM
I was just wondering about VZW because it was a choice between the voyager and the sidekick. Thats why I was questioning about VZW if they had month to month.
vzwkelly

Dec 19, 2007, 9:52 PM
You have to do a one year service only contract. Month to month after the initial year of service. Also, you do not have to renew contract for plan changes. You only have to renew for equipment discounts or special promotions such as free month or bonus minutes. Also, VZW does reduce the early termination fee each month that you complete in your contract where most of VZWs competitors charge a flat fee anytime you cancel early.
vonzippy04

Jan 8, 2008, 1:24 PM
Actually that's wrong. All carriers do the prorated ETF's now it's law made by the FCC.
Hombre07

Jan 20, 2008, 6:56 PM
On December 19 when posted, she was right.
vonzippy04

Jan 22, 2008, 5:41 PM
true that, my bad 😁

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.