Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 46 replies

verizon losing towers?

vonzippy04

Oct 2, 2007, 12:30 PM
I heard verizon is gonna lose alot of towers since they are switching from cdma to gsm? is this true if so that means AT&T will be number 1?
nextel18

Oct 2, 2007, 12:39 PM
What?! Verizon is not moving to GSM especially all of it. They will use their existing infrastructure and some additional base stations for their LTE network.
Darkreaction

Oct 2, 2007, 12:41 PM
Ya who told you they where switching? that would me retarded. I heard that Alltel lost there contract to roam off of verizon towers up where I live.
vonzippy04

Oct 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
ya that would be retarted of them that's why i hope they do! it would b smart n a way cuz everyone is going gsm it's the smart thing to do! even though they will lose alot of customers until they regain their towers again
nextel18

Oct 2, 2007, 12:49 PM
Everyone going to GSM? LTE isn’t GSM.
Jayshmay

Oct 29, 2007, 2:16 AM
Isn't LTE the next step in GSM evolution beyond HSPA???
nextel18

Oct 29, 2007, 2:35 PM
Yes.
tgoace

Dec 5, 2007, 7:49 PM
But it'll work for VZW's topology. No CDMA carrier would ever convert to GSM. CDMA technology offers a lot more that GSM does. CDMA is newer than GSM.

Research it on wiki if you guys don't understand.
nextel18

I doubt that would happen. FCC is making companies set up roaming deals. If that were the case, Alltel would go to the FCC and/or roam with Sprint.
Darkreaction

Oct 2, 2007, 6:24 PM
ya but where I live sprint doesnt have sevice for several states.
nextel18

Oct 2, 2007, 6:36 PM
Nothing you can do then.
wombough

Oct 14, 2007, 8:52 AM
verizon and alltel still have a roaming deal. I was in farmville VA which only has verizon well outside of farmville on 15. And my alltel phone worked just fine!!
nextel18

Oct 14, 2007, 1:39 PM
I know they do. problem is, they still have issues.
wombough

Oct 15, 2007, 10:34 AM
sorry that was not for you. it was for the other one that said they dont.
vonzippy04

Oct 2, 2007, 12:43 PM
ya i heard sometime in febuary there are going to switch something. maybe not to gsm, but i heard they are doing something big. but im not %100 that's why im in the rumor mill
Darkreaction

Ya you might be thinking of the switch to LTE.
vonzippy04

Oct 2, 2007, 12:46 PM
what does that mean?
nextel18

Oct 2, 2007, 12:50 PM
LTE is Long Term Evolution. It uses OFDM/A and MIMO.
Jayshmay

Oct 29, 2007, 2:20 AM
I know what MIMO stands for, but I forgot what OFDMA/A stands for?

LTE isn't going to be implemented on AT&T's network probably til the end of '09?
nextel18

Oct 29, 2007, 2:34 PM
OFDMA= Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access.
Jayshmay

Oct 30, 2007, 3:23 AM
Orthogonal is kinda a strange word, any idea as to it's background?

And am I right that LTE isn't even going to start to be implemented until towards the end of '09?

I just hope the industry doesn't change Express cards as the current standard for aircards, cause I'm not interested in buying a new laptop every 2.5-3yrs!!! My Toshiba is already clunking, and I've only had this for 2.5yrs!
nextel18

Oct 30, 2007, 7:34 AM
I am not sure where “Orthogonal” came from. LTE should be implemented in the 2009 to 2010 periods. Express cards and those types of interfaces for data cards are likely going to change but only in the updating of speeds and other efficiencies. We saw what happened to pc-card type two slots and I don’t think that will happen with the express.
Jayshmay

Oct 30, 2007, 8:12 AM
So is what your saying is that when LTE is implemented, and devices are available that support the 4G speeds, you think express cards will still be used in laptops?
nextel18

Oct 30, 2007, 8:46 AM
Eventually. They should come out with other data cards as well such as USB etc.. There just is a phase right now the revenue opportunities for the older technologies aren’t exhausted yet and that is why we continue to see them even though we have 3G starting to roll out. There are phases in technology so we will just have to wait.
Darkreaction

Oct 2, 2007, 12:50 PM
her read this article https://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=24 10
nextel18

Oct 2, 2007, 12:47 PM
They aren’t switching their entire network to LTE. It isn’t in February. It will be into the 2009 maybe 2010 year before they start to deploy the LTE
Darkreaction

Oct 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
ya it might be just some test sites.
vonzippy04

Oct 2, 2007, 12:56 PM
well in any case i just want verizon to lose a lot of towers so i can get more business!!

ill do whatever it takes 😈
nextel18

Oct 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
Verizon will not be losing any towers.
Jayshmay

Oct 29, 2007, 2:21 AM
Then burn down Verizon's towers!!!!! 😈 😈 😁 😁
nextel18

Oct 2, 2007, 12:56 PM
Well they have to build a little bit more towers for the LTE as they need to add equipment but other than that that is really all they can do at the moment as LTE will not be commercially available for quite some time.
vonzippy04

Oct 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
so what does LTE do for verizon?
Darkreaction

Oct 2, 2007, 12:59 PM
faster data speeds with a greater coverage range.
vonzippy04

Oct 2, 2007, 1:03 PM
dang that's not good! AT&T has the 3g network so that's the same thing right?
nextel18

Oct 2, 2007, 1:29 PM
AT&T is coming out with HSPA. So yes that is a type of a 3G technology.
nextel18

Oct 2, 2007, 1:01 PM
Darkreaction's answer was good enough. If you did not see his answer, he said increase in data speeds, increase/improvement in coverage and capacity.
splitchannel

Oct 12, 2007, 4:34 PM
Losing Towers? A tower is a physical structure, not spectrum. Losing "Towers" is a term used when the tower is torn down. Now, trading, selling or divesting spectrum would be an appropriate reference in this instance. Not trying to be a smarty pants, I just have to say something.
I know that Verizon Wireless has (in the past) traded spectrum and actually sold spectrum in the past. Why they would do that now? Makes no since, it's like having all the yellow properties on Monopoly and selling one of them when you are nearly winning. No, if anything Verizon Wireless will fight tooth and nail to keep and or gain more spectrum, and licenses.The following link has what looks like a bunch of mumble jumble, but it does not say anything about it bei...
(continues)
nextel18

Oct 12, 2007, 4:45 PM
Yea I know it looks like vonzippy04 and others do not understand the LTE situation and the towers and spectrum associated with that, but I am trying to address it and mentioned to Rich he should as well to make it more clearer to our members. They won’t lose control of towers but they might always sell their assets to a tower company and then lease it back, which is a common practice in this industry. They will also go after more spectrum, which they always do and spend about, 2-3x more than anyone else MHz/pop wise.
splitchannel

Oct 12, 2007, 8:32 PM
Well put, I suppose I could have rebuilt the illustration of the towers being sold and leased after the one mentioning them being torn down. Ok, we both understand the theory of carriers and channelization with algorithms and all that jazz, maybe we should mention that the more licenses (spectrum) held in one MTA, MSA, BTA etc. literally means more towers because adjacent cells are not tripping over each other (not to mention that PCS is even harder to deal with). That's what allot of people do not understand is that mobile phone network operators can not just put a tower up and the coverage gets better. Carriers have to be assigned properly and you can only split that channel so many times. Let me say this, I do not know everything about th...
(continues)
nextel18

Oct 13, 2007, 3:03 PM
If you want to have a dialogue about it, I will.

"tower up and the coverage gets better"

It is a yes and no answer.
splitchannel

Oct 13, 2007, 10:43 PM
My point about more towers does not mean better coverage, well let's see. It's really hard to compare to anything else, the fact is, if you don't have the band-with, you don't have enough channels to re-use.At some point, you add and add carriers that split the channel and continue to complicate things to the point that you have degraded the network and in the process made it so complicated, you would be better off blowing it up.
If you stick a BTS in the middle of a dense concrete jungle and tune it, you are already experiencing dropped calls and/or garble. It works a little different with GSM, which is based on TDMA. I am not saying that one would experience dropped calls out in bfe, even on a one carrier set up. I am not trying to compl...
(continues)
nextel18

Oct 14, 2007, 1:44 PM
Again, it is a yes and no answer. you can only have so many channels on one tower but if you put more t1s and more channels, you can have additional bandwidth, which allows more channels to be used. also, if you put any kinds of compression agents that can also boost the bandwidth. If a carrier builds a tower in an area where there is a tower already, what will happen is the two towers will split the workload of those towers and so both of those will be able to functional normally without any potential issues. The problem comes into play where if they do not put the spectrum and bandwidth in to the new tower, then it won’t make a difference. Therefore, it is a yes and no answer. yes if everything will work out fine and they put the prop...
(continues)
Jayshmay

Oct 29, 2007, 2:14 AM
AT&T ALREADY is #1

Evil Verizon just has everybody brainwashed with they're stupid advertisements about they're "network"
BigShowJB

Oct 29, 2007, 10:12 AM
agreed.... 😁 Att is the #1 network for dropped calls...
Jayshmay

Oct 29, 2007, 10:28 AM
I've been with Cingular/AT&T for nearly 6 years! And I don't have any problem with making/recieving calls!
thatnewgirl

Nov 24, 2007, 5:12 PM
In February they are not going to offer any analog service. They have been switching to digital, and now the military will be taking over the analog. Maybe that is what you heard.
cellscott

Dec 1, 2007, 9:52 PM
Like she said, the only "towers" verizon is losing are their old analog ones. The majority of consumers no longer use analog, as the FCC has been working to require all providers to get anyone with an analog phone upgraded to digital. Verizon's analog is scheduled to be shut off on/around February '08, Alltel is doing the same thing...Michigan by March of '08 for example.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.