Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 17 replies

Cellular & unions

cookie137

Dec 30, 2003, 10:24 AM
Do you think all cellular communications workers should be unionized. Cingular is unionized. There trying to unionize Verizon Wireless. Does ATTWS & Nextel employees feel a union will help them. What do you think?
I WANT TO KNOW? 🙄
Athena

Dec 30, 2003, 11:34 AM
AT&T Wireless needs a union. Stat!...

They attempted to unionize at one call center in the east, apparently the upper management negotiatied with the employees giving them more money for them to sign a release that they would not go with the union. Us call center reps on the west coast have been fighting for at least 3 years to get unionized, every once in a while there will be flyers in the call center to call them, but they usually get picked up and thrown out, and during team meeting time the supervisors discuss how the union would be bad..
Skins56

Dec 30, 2003, 12:58 PM
I personally believe Unions in Corporate America are not necessary. I work at VZW and we have a group of Network guys that are unionized. The non-unionized employee's actually receive more incentives and a larger annual increase in pay than those who are in the union. Not only that but why do I need pay someone to represent me when I like to speak for myself.
Big Daddy

Dec 30, 2003, 2:53 PM
you cant be wrongfully terminated if you are in a union
Skins56

Dec 30, 2003, 3:11 PM
Define Wrongfully?
Big Daddy

Dec 30, 2003, 3:13 PM
laid off, and unions help protect unfair labor practices and making you for OT and not getting paid time and a half or more for it and the environment you work in
Skins56

Dec 30, 2003, 3:56 PM
I have job security and get paid time and a half for OT. I have nothing to Worry about seeing as we are still a growing company. If I get laid off so be it. For the time being I get more than my union counter parts, and we continue to hire.
vzwpro

Dec 30, 2003, 4:29 PM
I would have to agree. There is no place in todays work place for unions. Most companies are taking care of their employees and doing whats right by them. Not only do we get time and a half for overtime but basically double time and a half for holidays!!!!

The only thing a union would do is build a wall between the employees and management.
Big Daddy

Dec 30, 2003, 4:50 PM
who do you work for? I work for ATTWS and it is only time and a half too, should be more
Skins56

Dec 30, 2003, 5:10 PM
VZW Standard overtime pay is time and a half. How much do you want. Most businesses even those that are unionized get time and a half up to 52 hours after 52 hours it is double time. My future Father in law is part of the International operating engineers union and this is what he gets. And let me tell you when he was laid off it took them forever to find him a job.
TMOPro

Dec 30, 2003, 5:14 PM
T-Mobile just settled with Dept. of labor b/c it wasn't paying OT correctly. Maybe a need after all?...
Worf

Dec 30, 2003, 6:30 PM
I worked for a security company, and only got time and half. No union, pissed off the wrong person and was out of work for almost a year, just cause I wouldn't kiss someone's a**. I do know people that make double time on holidays, and possibly triple time on sundays.
vzwpro

Dec 30, 2003, 6:44 PM
I'm in Irvine, Ca. We do get 35% shift differential on Sundays and shifts that start after 2:00pm.
vzwpro

Dec 30, 2003, 6:07 PM
I work for VZW. On holidays you get your normal pay plus time and a half if you have to work that day thats why I said basically.

I'm in southern cal and all I have to say is look at the grocery store strike to see how good the union is actually doing for them. A couple more weeks and they will be out a job for good.
Worf

Dec 30, 2003, 6:27 PM
Where are you at, I need a job.
Skins56

Dec 31, 2003, 8:36 AM
NJ
Big Daddy

Dec 30, 2003, 2:53 PM
UNIONS RULE
beemcellular

Oct 12, 2005, 5:07 PM
No, I do not think that we should unionize this industry. Unions mean they receive a portion of our money, and unions enable laziness-thats not in my job description type of people work for the union in my opinion)I do not want any part of it.

Look at GM- all union guys yes have been there for twenty thirty years, but at what cost due to the union, they maintain just within the guidelines of their job detail and never (all in my opinion) go out of it. With commission no union, the sky is the limit no one puts a cap on you and we won't eventually be out sourced! Lets just leave it alone...

When we have the potential to make as much money as we want, we do not mind going the extra mile for customers, but when there is nothing in it fo...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.