Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 21 replies

why is america so behind in cell phone technology.

notch32

Mar 21, 2007, 5:29 PM
I have friends who often visit and some who live outside the country and some of the cell phones i c that they have are amazing. Some of them say that they have had phones that we get or similar like a year or 2 before us. i just don't understand y the so called greatest nation is just sooooooo slow when it comes 2 cell phone technology.
ralph_on_me

Mar 21, 2007, 5:37 PM
It's because we cant type using complete words and instead abbreviate them with numbers. The FCC has chosen to punish us because of this.
notch32

Mar 22, 2007, 8:16 PM
ah man you are a riot, you just crack me up. is that better for you. I can you have noyhing better to do but sit in front of a cell phone website and answer every one's questions like you know it all. saturday nights must suck for you. How is that grammar.
ajstrong

Mar 22, 2007, 8:19 PM
da gramer is good. The US is behind because we are. get used to it, or get lots of $$ to unlock compatible GSM phones.
Hombre07

Mar 22, 2007, 9:47 PM
The United States is behind in all technology, not just cell phones. We don't develop any of it so naturally it would be slower coming to us.
torkuatin

Mar 23, 2007, 6:30 PM
we have better phones cause you can ctive any phone with any carrier , so we only bought phones at high price, and active it for 10 dlls wit telcel or movistar, but you guys have good plans, thats better that have good phones, we pay like 30 dlls for a 170 minutes plan without nights and weekends, and without pcs to pcs, XD im in mexico
donbp

Mar 27, 2007, 6:19 PM
That's right. Everywhere else in the world, phones are sold in phone stores and not by carriers. That makes for a lot more competition. Here you are stuck with whatever some moron sitting in your carriers ivory tower decides is cool.
kimberly.wirelesstoyz

Mar 31, 2007, 2:43 PM
america is mostly behind because if someone brought a phone to a company that had major flaws or didnt sell, it would really hurt the carrier. they cant just jump on a phone. it is tested in markets in other countries for a year or two to see how it sold. after that they make changes to the phone so the carrier is happy, then get it approved by the FCC. if you look at any phone you will usually find that there was one released in another country before, but it usually isnt exactly the same. its all just a practice run. so it sucks that we cant choose from all the phones out there, but at the same time, i would rather wait for all the bugs to be worked out.
Hombre07

Apr 2, 2007, 11:02 AM
That makes no sense. So you're saying they risk failure everywhere else but can't risk anything in the United States, it may flop! Oh wait, I would say 30% of phones I see come through flop.
ozzybah

Apr 27, 2007, 10:48 PM
... Kimberly has had the first constructive post on this topic. Thank you Kimberly.

BTW... she is right. Hombre, there is no failure to risk over seas, the phones are connected to carriers in a different way that if the phone flops the carriers are fine, here, the carriers are plan AND phone driven. So they litterally do a test run over seas.
ralph_on_me

Mar 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
Of course I have nothing better to do, I'm at work.

PS, that was a Wednesday, not a Saturday night. This Saturday night I plan on being naked in the streets.
Mimo

Mar 31, 2007, 5:20 AM
hahhahahaha
sangyup81

Mar 23, 2007, 9:53 AM
because Americans are cheap

ask your friends how much they paid for their phones and I am willing to bet those won't sell well here because people will think its expensive
SPCSVZWJeff

Apr 5, 2007, 12:50 PM
I think you are more on the right track than any other reply on this thread.
American consumers are in love with the free phone. Phones that would cost $400-$500 anywhere else in the world Americans won't buy unless they can buy them for $200-$300 and they still feel that is too expensive.

Our wireless industry was built on bundled handsets and service agreements. It's not that we can't get the newest technology, it's that Americans won't pay for it. We seem to be more practical minded than our Asian counterparts who will buy whatever is cool whether it is really useful and practical or not. How often have you heard "I will only use it like a telephone, I don't need all that other crap."

How often do you hear customers lamenting tha...
(continues)
ozzybah

Apr 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
Most common saying at a cell store is?

"I don't need all the bells and whistles just a good phone."

I wouldn't say that's why we don't have 90 percent of the phones debut in the states though, but i'm sure it's a big part of it.
krickt

Mar 28, 2007, 12:05 PM
Have you ever heard the analogy of why dogs eat bones?

Your dog would prefer a steak, would eat a steak if he could find one.

But he will beg for a bone, he slobber all over a bone, he will fight for his bone.

All because it's all he can get.
Cymballistix86

Apr 2, 2007, 11:30 AM
We're behind on cell phones for the same reason we're behind on every technology. It's created and developed somewhere else and usually in a different language. After we finally hear about it, we need investors. Then we need programmers to change the phones to an american format. And then you have to get all of that approved by the F(u)CC(kers). And then after wading through backup list after backup list, we finally get them on our shelves.
gb8888

Apr 5, 2007, 2:56 PM
Hey guys, just a little bit more information for you. Think about how large the United states is...now, compare that with the country of Japan. I picked Japan because they are the most advanced in Cell Tech. and for a very good reason. AT&T as well as other American Cell company's have recently launched our 3rd Generation technology. Now, Japan is already at 6G. The reason is that the country is so small that it takes hardly any time to update/repair/replace all their old technology. The time, money and energy it would take for any company in the US to advance as fast as Japan is, is way beyond what anybody is willing to pay.
chocolateman85006

Apr 7, 2007, 5:50 PM
Because most americans want basic phones, sadly.
sangyup81

Apr 13, 2007, 7:53 AM
I didn't think so. But guess what? Europeans will.
dude3083

Apr 26, 2007, 9:33 PM
Gawd, if you think that Americans are behind in technology, you should visit Canada! there are A FEW places that don't even have digital cell coverage, let alone CDMA, GSM, or UMTS
Rich Brome

Apr 28, 2007, 4:01 PM
I'm closing this thread. This type of discussion belongs in the "Techs & Trends" forum. If you wish to resume this discussion, please start a thread in that forum.

This thread has been closed by a moderator.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.