See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=2&fi=4189

Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

Back to message list

Replying to:  Activating Unlocked Phones by McG   Nov 16, 2003, 12:50 AM

Re: Activating Unlocked Phones

by Rich Brome (Moderator)    Nov 20, 2003, 9:28 AM

If it's a GSM phone, it's not an issue. Just put your SIM in the unlocked phone - there is no "activation" per se. The carriers are generally fine with that, and will not remotely lock your phone (I don't even think it's technically possible).

If it's CDMA, it's tricky. Sprint won't activate a non-Sprint phone, period. It's possible to activate an unlocked CDMA phone with Verizon, but I don't believe it's supported, and not all reps will do it. Other carriers each have their own policy.

The worst thing that can happen is only that they refuse to activate it. If you do get it activated against company policy, they're not got going to chase you or throw you in jail. At least I've never heard of anything like that, and I don't think it would be worth the effort for them, unless your device was going berserk and wreaking havoc on the network, etc.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.