printed July 22, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=2&fi=3254954

Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

Back to message list

I remember the time when I wished to have any smartphone

by Riot_Act    Jun 1, 2013, 11:55 PM   edited Jun 1, 2013, 11:57 PM

Even though I tried a few smart-phones from the old eras (Nokia N73 and blackberry pearl 8100) I wasn't really satisfied with their offerings (since I was not an enterpriser).
So I decided to go back to feature phone territory where I could find simple media focused devices (that didn't require an expensive data plan), they were simple and fun to use (I had a Sony Ericsson C905 for a few years)
I changed phones a few times during the subsequent years, all of them feature phones.
My first encounter with an smartphone after that was kind of fortuitous, I broke my phone and I didn't have the money to buy a new phone that I'd like. I put my simcard in an old nokia 1100 for a few days until a friend of mine sold me an old Iphone (1st generation). It was January of 2010 already but the thing was pretty darned good (specially HTML email support). I opened my eyes to a new world, this old smarphone was leagues better than any other thing I tried before!
I decided to try android instead of going for a new Iphone, because I really liked the fancy big screens they advertised on the TV. The first android phone that I owned an really used a lot was an HTC Inspire 4G. I fell in love with the phone, so fast, so smooth, so capable.
After about a year I cracked the screen of it and I went back to a feature phone, I thought that It'd be just for a while until I was able to buy another smarphone.

Cheap android phones featuring Gingerbread were in the market by then, I was guessing that even a basic smarphone would suffice since I was waiting for a good mainstream smartphone offer to show up...
I used some basic chinese phones (huaweii y100 and Y200, Alcatel OT916) they never failed, nor were crashy or had compatibility issues. But they were sloooooow as hell, and had awful cameras, and they are really lame media devices, not even good mp3 players!
I moved through some higher quality devices (samsung exhibit II) but I wasn't really satisfied. Long story short, I ordered an screen assembly for my old phone and stuck to it till april of this year.

Bad luck but having a high end device as my first android phone has spoiled me. In the transition I've been trying some new entry level offerings from Chinese manufacturers. Just recently the Alcatel M'Pop, it is a good phone, really good. A 4inch screen (very usable under our tropical sun), Android 4.1, 1GHz mediatek processor (It outperforms the old S2 my inspire had), a so-so 5mp fixed focus main camera (good actually, better than the one in the blackberry 9900) and a bad front camera but at least it has one.
I'd stick to an entry level phone if they had a better built in micro amplifier, I really doubt it hits the 1VPP mark. The sound it produces has a good shape, for both calls and music playback but volume of music played through my earphones just doesn't suffice, I amplified it through a software hack but it distorts a lot.

I need to make it clear, speakerphone, ringers and alerts are ok, it's just music playback, HSPA radio is ok, par with (or superior to) the one on GS2 or Infuse 4g

What do you scoopers think about the new bevy of cheap smartphones?

For what reason would you or wouldn't you stick to one of this devices?

Report to moderator

Replies

No replies to this message

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.