Phone Scoop

printed July 23, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=2&fi=3249284

Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

Back to message list

Replying to:  I want a Smartphone without a Data plan?? by sinclaircohen   Dec 3, 2012, 12:05 PM

Re: I want a Smartphone without a Data plan??

by JRDL    Apr 24, 2013, 12:46 AM

Starting January 2013, I was informed that AT&T is charging customers who use a smartphone $30 per month for a 3-GB monthly data plan whether they want the data plan or NOT. I have complained to AT&T about this as I do not want to have *any* type of data plan for my wireless number. I prefer to use wi-fi since it's much faster, and don't have an overarching need for cellular data access.

I routinely repair and refurbish mobile phones for donation to local charities, so I use a variety of phones in any given month. Some are basic flip-style, others are earlier feature phones with a slide-out keyboard, and still others are various iOS or Android smartphones. The moment a wireless phone powers on and registers on the AT&T wireless network, the phone information is sent back to AT&T and compared with your current calling-data plan. If you use a smartphone even for a minute, you will see a data plan charge for that month.

This type of "no-choice" opt-in business policy for data plans is entirely unethical in my view. However, it is entirely legal as this kind of action by AT&T is not prohibited by any regulation, rule or statute that I have been able to identify. Even the FCC and FTC state that there is nothing they can do about this. It reminds me of the long-distance telephone "slamming" years ago.

So, if you really do NOT want to have a data plan, use a phone that isn't one of the newer smartphones like the "feature" or browser-capable phones (even though these might be older and have less features).

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.