See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=2&fh=3271

Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

all discussions

Activating Unlocked Phones

McG

Nov 16, 2003, 12:50 AM
I was just wondering. Do you think if a customer activated an unlocked phone, of any kind, on their service they would lock it so its their phone? Or can they? Do they have the right to do that. Or can they just say they wont activate it. Cause obviously companies don't like unlocked phones. And yes people can argue that its just one phone and they wont care. But then what if your the one person the company makes an example out of and fines for $100,000 and 5 yrs in jail or something like that. Anyone ever been refused to activate a phone that was unlocked?
waterman277

Nov 17, 2003, 1:53 PM
GSM phones don't require 'activation' in the way of some others, just the insertion of a properly coded SIM card. I do not think that a network can remotely lock your handset, although there might be some technical people here that can answer that question better? The question of rights is a complicated one, as it will all be governed by 1) The terms of YOUR specific contract (even month to month clients have a contract) and 2) the general law of contract in your jurisdiction. There is little light that the general tenets of contract law can shed on the situation in most North American jurisdictions.
brodfukker

Nov 19, 2003, 8:19 PM
what is the issue u r trying to ovecome??? r u just wanting 2 be able to take a phone - NOKIA from wherever & activate it on whichever carrier u can get the phone 2 work with??? if this is the case, my experience is that most any dealer will activate a phone like this COAM (customer owned and maintained) because their commission is actually higher since they don't have to absord any upfront loss of money due to any equipment subsidy...
Rich Brome

Nov 20, 2003, 9:28 AM
If it's a GSM phone, it's not an issue. Just put your SIM in the unlocked phone - there is no "activation" per se. The carriers are generally fine with that, and will not remotely lock your phone (I don't even think it's technically possible).

If it's CDMA, it's tricky. Sprint won't activate a non-Sprint phone, period. It's possible to activate an unlocked CDMA phone with Verizon, but I don't believe it's supported, and not all reps will do it. Other carriers each have their own policy.

The worst thing that can happen is only that they refuse to activate it. If you do get it activated against company policy, they're not got going to chase you or throw you in jail. At least I've never heard of anything like that, and I don't think it wo...
(continues)
sayleboat

Nov 20, 2003, 3:10 PM
Rich is right about the SIM based phones...but, there is one problem. I know that with Nextel phones, they have started to track phones by serial number. What that means is that if that unit has been put in the negative file due to non payment, then the SIM and serial number go into the negative file. So, when you purchase that unit and have it activated, they ask you for the serial number. If that serial number is in the negative file, they will not activate it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.