Phone Scoop

printed October 9, 2015
See this page online at:

Home  ›  Forums  ›

all discussions

Need a recommendation

Jul 19, 2013, 2:58 PM
So, my father (almost 70) wants a new phone. Here are the limitations:

We don't want to have to get a data plan. So I'm looking to buy something used/unlocked. (we have AT&T.)

He wants something with a big enough screen to see pics of his granddaughter (and daughter).

It needs to have a keyboard big enough to see the keys and not fat-finger too much.

It needs good reception and reliability.

It would be nice if it's durable so it won't die if he bumps it or drops it in his workshop.

Battery time isn't a big deal as he only uses it when he's out and always charges it when he gets home.

Format isn't a big deal... flip, bar, etc. Doesn't matter.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

Jul 19, 2013, 4:08 PM
Most important question: How much is he willing to spend?

Jul 19, 2013, 4:14 PM
Price isn't really an issue

Jul 19, 2013, 4:25 PM
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Active would be a good choice. Kinda pricey but definitely worth it. I don't know if AT&T forces you into data with smartphones but the phone meets all the requirements with the exception of the keyboard one only cause he may want a physical keypad and not a virtual keypad.

Jul 20, 2013, 9:13 PM
AT&T forces you into a data plan for a smartphone. For a non-smartphone, I'd recommend the LG A340; a basic flip phone that's pretty sturdy, has large buttons & a decent screen for a flip (2.4").

Jul 21, 2013, 7:37 AM
Pantech Breeze III

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.