Phone Scoop

printed September 1, 2015
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=2&fh=3212128

Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

all discussions

I want a Smartphone without a Data plan??

sinclaircohen

Dec 3, 2012, 12:05 PM
Is there any carrier who offers a good quality Smartphone without requiring a Data Plan?

I've been with Verizon for 15 years using Basic phones. I really would like to have a quality phone -- good camera, music player, good call quality, good speaker, larger capacitance glass touch screen.

But I have no need for a Data plan. One would think there's a way to do this. Verizon has no such option though.

Are all cell phone carriers the same as Verizon? I could pay Verizon an additional $30 a month for a Data Plan and get a free iPhone 4, but that's a wasted $720 over two years!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Haggard

Dec 3, 2012, 3:47 PM
Settle for a feature phone. You want that iPhone, you'll need that data plan, regardless. You want iPhone like features? Get an iPod Touch with the money you save from not getting an iPhone and not paying a data fee.
sinclaircohen

Dec 3, 2012, 4:03 PM
Thanks for the response.So there's no way to get a Smartphone without a Data plan? That's what I've seen so far.

Still seems a bit strange to me, in this country where anything is available for a price. It's just business. You would think a carrier would simply sell a Smartphone to someone like me -- they aren't going to lose any money if I don't want to connect the phone to the Internet.

Hell, Verizon will continue to keep me as a client and I won't waste any of their bandwidth. Sounds like Win - Win.

Must be another reason. I actually have an original iPod Touch and a brand new WiFi only iPad. But neither are telephones.

Oh well, thanks for confirming this for me. I'll just give up.

sinclair
Haggard

Dec 3, 2012, 4:43 PM
Unfortunately, no. The carriers in the US require a data plan for a smartphone, mostly because the phone won't have any features that function without data. They might sell you a phone at full retail cost, but if you want to activate it on their network, they will require the data plan.

The only reason I can think of is, they sold a smartphone and want to make more money off that device while it's being used.
Fredd

Dec 3, 2012, 5:03 PM
There were also too many people that got mad about getting huge PPU data charges. Was easier to just make them mandatory.
mat jonson

Mar 11, 2013, 4:00 PM
so you mean if i buy a smartphone from retail, and take gosmart's $30 monthly plan which gives unlimited talk & text but no data, my smartphone wont work
CellPhoneMedic

Apr 25, 2013, 10:45 AM
Try prepaid cell phones. Prepaid phones are becoming so popular; you don’t have to go to a cell phone provider to get one. You can find these types of mobile phones at home good stores, major retail conglomerates, like Wal-Mart, and even grocery stores! These locations usually have better prices because they offer more options for generic brands of prepay phones that are just as great as the cell phone providers. Another option to buying a pre-paid cell is the internet. You can do all kinds of shopping online, and can sometimes find better deals through websites like E-Bay and Overstock.com.
juddochop123

Apr 25, 2013, 10:07 PM
Cool No, NO,NO.

Wrong. They are not great. These pre-paid networks run entirely off of other providers towers. They basically are renting a smaller amount of coverage from big providers and feeding it back to the population. Generally this service drops often and has extremely throttled speeds.

And you really want a smartphone without data? Defeats the purpose a bit.
zldatwilightprincess

Apr 25, 2013, 11:00 PM
OMG a smartphone without a data plan would be absolutley fab. I mean I have wifi everwhere I go and its so readily accessible Wink
Fredd

Dec 3, 2012, 4:38 PM
Nope.
If you have a Smartphone, a data plan is required.
But, if you are not going to use the capability, why would you want it?
It is sort of like buying a Corvette, but only wanting a 4 cylinder engine.
melrhodes

Dec 3, 2012, 6:28 PM
more like want a corvette but not to drive it
sinclaircohen

Dec 3, 2012, 6:32 PM
I've been using a Samsung "Reality" with a plastic 'resistive' touch screen, which sucks when it comes to scrolling. A glass 'capacitive' touch screen would be much easier to use.

Also a larger screen (than 3") would be nice, especially with a better camera (for video too). I would also prefer a very good built-in music player and photo-managing software.

I just bought a $700 iPad and find that "Siri" is pretty cool. I hate texting on my phone's small slide-out keyboard. Voice recognition would be nice to use, I do send text messages sometimes.

I also prefer an attractive well constructed larger phone, as many new Smartphones are. One with a loud speaker as well.

None of this stuff requires a Data Plan. Hell, I'll pay whatever Ve...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Dec 22, 2012, 1:39 PM
If you buy a phone from the carrier and use that phone, then no.

But with a T-Mobile Value plan and the SIM-only option, you can use any GSM phone and not pay for data. They have a $50/month unlimited talk & text plan. You can then put the SIM in a smartphone and you're set. You'll have to pay full price up front for the phone, though.
brycenesbitt

Jan 3, 2013, 3:32 AM
I have a Google Nexus S. AT&T GoPhone Service by the minute. And even if I wanted it, AT&T won't sell me a data plan.

Perfect for you.
mat jonson

Feb 28, 2013, 3:44 PM
try gosmart t-mobiles latest offer
in $45 you get a lot
JRDL

Apr 24, 2013, 12:46 AM
Starting January 2013, I was informed that AT&T is charging customers who use a smartphone $30 per month for a 3-GB monthly data plan whether they want the data plan or NOT. I have complained to AT&T about this as I do not want to have *any* type of data plan for my wireless number. I prefer to use wi-fi since it's much faster, and don't have an overarching need for cellular data access.

I routinely repair and refurbish mobile phones for donation to local charities, so I use a variety of phones in any given month. Some are basic flip-style, others are earlier feature phones with a slide-out keyboard, and still others are various iOS or Android smartphones. The moment a wireless phone powers on and registers on the AT&T wireless networ...
(continues)
Downscripting

Apr 26, 2013, 12:09 PM
JRDL said:
Starting January 2013, I was informed that AT&T is charging customers who use a smartphone $30 per month for a 3-GB monthly data plan whether they want the data plan or NOT. I have complained to AT&T about this as I do not want to have *any* type of data plan for my wireless number. I prefer to use wi-fi since it's much faster, and don't have an overarching need for cellular data access.

I routinely repair and refurbish mobile phones for donation to local charities, so I use a variety of phones in any given month. Some are basic flip-style, others are earlier feature phones with a slide-out keyboard, and still others are various iOS or Android smartphones. The moment a wireless phone powers on and regist
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.