See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=2&fh=2983857

Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

all discussions

touch screen without a data plan on Verizon

chellebis

Oct 26, 2011, 9:58 PM
I need to purchase a used phone with a touch screen or something that is easy to text with. I have a droid x2 and would like something similar to that for functions but I don't want to have to have a data plan on it? Does anyone have any suggestions?
matchory

Oct 27, 2011, 11:24 AM
get an LG Dare.
Skully

Oct 28, 2011, 6:20 PM
Yeah, don't get a data plan, I dare you with the LG Dare.
beyondmygreatness

Oct 28, 2011, 12:16 AM
Go for an older phone. Like the LG Dare, or Voyager. I believe Verizon started requiring customers to have some sort of data plan with the EnV Touch. I believe you have to have a data plan with 90% of their phones now, so you would definitely have to go with an older phone.
Skully

Oct 28, 2011, 6:23 PM
chellebis said:
I have a droid x2 and would like something similar to that for functions but I don't want to have to have a data plan on it? ?

No data plan = no smart phone. This means you can not get anything with Android and no Black Berries. So I guess if all you want is texting and you don't care about downloading a billion apps for free, go for it. You can not download free software on the LD Dare or any non smart phone.
Skully

Oct 28, 2011, 6:24 PM
only way you'll run a smart phone with no data plan is to use a GSM carrier like T-Mobile or AT&T.
Jellz

Oct 28, 2011, 6:49 PM
And then you'd have to use some obscure smartphone that doesn't have its IMEI in their database like one from overseas. If you just pop a SIM into an iPhone and start service, you'll find a data plan on your account rather quickly (at least with AT&T).
Skully

Oct 28, 2011, 7:42 PM
Jellz said:
And then you'd have to use some obscure smartphone that doesn't have its IMEI in their database like one from overseas.

No, it makes no difference. You're incorrect. As long as they purchase the phone at full price, are on a plan that does not require it, or purchase it somewhere other than T-Mobile corporate.

If you just pop a SIM into an iPhone and start service, you'll find a data plan on your account rather quickly (at least with AT&T).

Yeah at&t started doing that with iphones I heard maybe two months ago. That's just at&t and that's just apple (the devil). And I'm pretty sure that's easily avoidable when it's jailbroken and the warranty is voided.

In...
(continues)
Jellz

Oct 28, 2011, 7:53 PM
I know you're wrong about the AT&T just recently doing it. My brother put his SIM into an iPhone earlier this year and the data plan popped up within a month on our bill. Had to go to a corporate store to remove it when he switched back to his old phone.
Skully

Oct 30, 2011, 1:12 PM
Jellz said:
I know you're wrong about the AT&T just recently doing it. .

Tell that to phonescoop and engadget it was on their sites.
Skully

Oct 30, 2011, 1:15 PM
http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/17/att-cracking-down-on- ... »

It was in May. It's not about not having the Internet, the at&t/iphone issue was for their 45$ tethering add-on.
Jellz

Oct 28, 2011, 7:57 PM
And as far as I'm aware, it's the same with all smartphones. Data plan is instantly applied if you don't have one already and just put your SIM into the phone. If you buy it full retail from AT&T, you'd still need the data plan.
Skully

Oct 30, 2011, 1:13 PM
Jellz said:
And as far as I'm aware, it's the same with all smartphones. Data plan is instantly applied if you don't have one already and just put your SIM into the phone.

No, it's not. You're not aware.

If you buy it full retail from AT&T, you'd still need the data plan.

No, you don't. Whether you buy it from AT&T or Mohammod's Authorized AT&T store. Or eBay. Or Craigslist. Or your friend Lakisha.
soundwave

Oct 28, 2011, 6:49 PM
Fairly certain if you use a smartphone these companies will start charging you for a data package, so that wont work either.
Skully

Oct 28, 2011, 7:46 PM
soundwave said:
Fairly certain if you use a smartphone these companies will start charging you for a data package, so that wont work either.

No, they won't. And t-mobile value plans don't even require data since the phone is purchased at full price. Not like that even matters, just a side note. You can use any gsm phone and not pay a data plan. As you will see in the other message I posted, a data plan is only required when getting the phone at a subsidized price from a corporate branch of the company. If they buy the phone on craigslist, or ebay, or from their friend Timmy down the street nobody cares nor will at&t or t-mobile 'magically' put them on required data plans without authorization from an accou...
(continues)
soundwave

Oct 28, 2011, 7:54 PM
You are simply incorrect.
Skully

Oct 30, 2011, 1:08 PM
Because? Hey look I just did it. Wow. I amaze myself with my awesome correctness.
Jellz

Oct 28, 2011, 8:00 PM
CDMA phones don't have IMEI numbers.
Skully

Oct 30, 2011, 1:11 PM
Jellz said:
CDMA phones don't have IMEI numbers.

HEX? You going to be quibbling over that? I was talking about the tracking comment on a GSM phone which does. And yes, they do have an IMEI. It's just MEID. It's the same thing, the DEC one is the exact same thing as an IMEI but slightly different protocol.

Nice try attempting to subvert attention away from every single point raised with your red herring logical fallacy.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.