See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=2&fh=2668

Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

all discussions

GSM vs. CDMA vs. TDMA ??

Damion

Nov 10, 2003, 8:05 PM
I know that GSM is used more often world wide (especially in europe). Are there any technical advantages to one system or the other (superior sound, coverage, e-mail, internet access, IM, etc?)? Is one system fading out over time? Are certain phone technologies limited to just one type? If so, which have generally been deemed the most important (one system features)? If there are no major technical advantages to one system over the other is it just a matter of choosing whatever one works best in the areas you are most likely to frequent? Are there general price differences or are those mostly due to Carriers and not the broadcast technology?
Rich Brome

Nov 10, 2003, 11:15 PM
That's a loaded question in general, and a lot of specific questions! Shocked I'll try my best, though. Wink

Damion said:
I know that GSM is used more often world wide (especially in europe). Are there any technical advantages to one system or the other (superior sound, coverage, e-mail, internet access, IM, etc?)?

In my personal experience, GSM provides better sound than CDMA, but that's also highly dependent on the phone and tower equipment involved (at both ends, if the other person is also using a cell phone).

CDMA, on the other hand, provides better spectral efficiency. In other words, CDMA allows more people to use the same band of radio waves at once.

That has some obvious cost advantages. F...
(continues)
Damion

Nov 11, 2003, 3:10 AM
Well that was very helpful. Thanx. By "certain phone technologies" I meant things like e-mail or instant messaging or video sending or internet browsing and stuff like that. Does one system do all/some of these things better than the other?
Rich Brome

Nov 11, 2003, 11:20 AM
Damion said:
Well that was very helpful. Thanx. By "certain phone technologies" I meant things like e-mail or instant messaging or video sending or internet browsing and stuff like that. Does one system do all/some of these things better than the other?

Only in terms of speed. For that, refer to my earlier comment, which was that CDMA (1xRTT) is faster at the moment than GSM (GPRS) - but that will change with the upgrade to EDGE. Once AT&T and T-Mobile deploy nationwide EDGE, (which will happen very soon,) then speeds will be pretty much the same, and I don't think there will be much difference for the technologies you mentioned.

Then it will really just be about how each carrier prices it. For example,...
(continues)
Lena

Nov 11, 2003, 6:44 AM
Rich Brome said:
TDMA. It's fading out right now. The current TDMA networks will still be active for at least several more years, but as soon as AT&T and Cingular finish building out their GSM coverage to match their TDMA coverage, they'll stop selling TDMA phones, (in a year or so.) And then eventually those TDMA networks will be shut off.

Do you really think TDMA will be "shut off", or sold off. It will make a lot of folks unhappy if their phones stop working. There still are a lot of people out there who just use the phone to make voice calls, not surf the net or send low quality photos.
Rich Brome

Nov 11, 2003, 11:28 AM
TDMA service will definitely be shut off, but not for several years.

There's nothing to "sell off", really. They could only "sell" the TDMA if they sold off some tiny slice of spectrum with it, which they would be totally insane to do. Plus the infrastructure issues... bottom line: "selling off" TDMA simply isn't possible.

So, first, they will simply stop selling new TDMA phones and service.

Then there will be probably a 2 year period where the existing TDMA customers are encouraged to upgrade to GSM. Those who wait until the end will probably be offered incentives to switch.

By the time they finally shut off TDMA, there will be very few people left using it. The last thing AT&T or Cingular wants to do is leave their customers "s...
(continues)
Lena

Nov 11, 2003, 11:48 AM
We were with Sprint when they switched from Sprint Spectrum to Sprint PCS. There was a class action suit by the Spectrum customers and Sprint settled by providing replacement phones for all Spectrum customers to convert to PCS, allowing customers to keep their rates as specified in their plans. It was a decent deal from Sprint, but many customers had long waits at the stores, or gave up entirely, when trying to get their replacement phone (they had to turn in their old phone and get re-activated).

Hopefully, ATT will learn from the Sprint conversion and make their switch painless.

I'm concerned because I use CallPlus, a prepay operating on the ATT TDMA system. For the little bit I use a cellphone, their rates beat all the major ca...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.