See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=2&fh=12163

Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

all discussions

GPS for E-911 and TDMA/GSM issues

lindablair

Jan 5, 2004, 1:31 AM
For many years, I've been happy with a nice reliable Nokia on the Sprint PCS network in the Northern Virginia area. Alas, my phone appears to have become possessed and I'm forced to get a new phone and carrier.

I've finally figured out that I'm best served by an AT&T local calling plan, so now it's just the phone selection that's making my head spin. I pretty much use the phone only for basic calls in the Northern VA area, with occasional forays to Maryland/DC and New England, and really could not care less about all the bells and whistles like camera, games, colored screens, email, etc. Most of my life is spent carpooling kids around, so I need a reliable phone to be able to use when I'm running late, in an emergency, etc.

So I thi...
(continues)
mmdstech

Jan 5, 2004, 11:14 PM
Phase 11 of e911 will allow a psap to see where you are calling from within 50 feet. This is a FCC mandate and to be in effect by 2005. Most carriers now aren't even phase 1 compliant. Phase 1 allows the psap to see your call back number, what cell site and sector you are serving from. So to answer your question. They are selling phones with the gps built in which will eventually allow the psap to pinpoint your location(phase 11). I wouldn't hold your breath.
Second...... As far as tdma or gsm, that question is best answered by your AT&T wireless representative. It depends on where they have upgraded to gsm. Some AT&T markets are served by a legacy tdma market, and some GSM. Hope this helps!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2017 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.

This is a preview. Click for full glossary page.