all discussions

show all 22 replies

Some more info on LNP complaints

Big Poppa

Dec 31, 2003, 6:25 PM
LNP complaints to FCC triple in last half of month

by Emily Motsay
Dec. 30, 2003 1:30 PM EST

The Federal Communications Commission said it received 2,394 informal consumer complaints targeted at wireless carriers from Nov. 24 through Dec. 24, which marked the first month of wireless local number portability. Complaints almost tripled in the latter two weeks of the month, or since Dec. 8 when the FCC reported approximately 600 complaints had been issued.

Most of the complaints concerned delays in porting numbers between wireless carriers, with less than 5 percent of total complaints directed at delays in porting numbers from wireline to wireless carriers. AT&T Wireless Services Inc. was involved in 1,221 complaints, followed by Spr...
(continues)
LordGreyWolf

Dec 31, 2003, 8:36 PM
Firstly it does not mean we are the ones at fault for all of them only that we are one of the two parties involved, secondly an example is that i have had 2 calls today where people are trying to port into us and other company's (Verizon) has still not done the stuff on there side, these ports were started on November 24,2003 you do the math, when this cust calls the FCC we will be mentioned on the complaint, as one of the parties so we will have another number with our name, does not mean we are the party at fault, we have alot of cust that ported out as well that are already coming back i handle many of these every day, people are learning, We are not nearly as bad, the grass is not greener on the other side of the wireless fence, and peop...
(continues)
Big Poppa

Jan 1, 2004, 1:54 AM
Is that what there telling you over there at AT&T?? Do they have you that brainwashed to think they are the best company since sliced bread?? It's been 1Month and already they have already logged OVER 1000 complaint against AT&T.. I talk to new customer everyday, that is my job, they start to get mad at us (Verizon) becuz their number hasn't ported over, and we're like look, we sent the port request, were just wait for "Insert Company Name Here" to send us your number... I'm not saying any of the carriers are perfect, they are all having thier share of problems. But AT&T is OBVIOUSLY doing something wrong.. The first thing they did wrong is to not go with the Telecommunication INC like everyone for Porting the number, and instead are using N...
(continues)
vzwpro

Jan 1, 2004, 2:00 AM
I have to agree with Big Poppa. I had a customer call in yesterday about their port not going through so I called attws to find out what was going on. This customer had been trying to port in since Nov 24th!!! I was told by attws that the customers port was delayed until the 26th. Not the 26 of December but the 26th of January!!! They said they were soo bogged down by port out request that many requests have been delayed.
ATandT

Jan 1, 2004, 3:15 AM
It can't be helping the hold times at PAG with number of AWS customers having to call in to get their numbers back from the company who stole them (Verizon) with unauthorized porting. See MANY previous posts for examples.
LordGreyWolf

Jan 1, 2004, 4:00 AM
And I guess the fact that I had 17 calls today from customers wanting to come back to ATT who had prevoiusly gone elsewhere is just coincidence, that is how many I had just today. And as for what company ATT decides to use that is a company decision, If everyone had to use the same company the FCC would have stated it, I am not claiming that our company like all the others has not had problems I am just stating that it sure is easy to blame ATT when your not att, pick on the number one has always been the tactic of the company's that arent #1
Skins56

Jan 1, 2004, 8:25 AM
What are you talking about ATT is N O T #1?! No one has released numbers for how many customers ported in so no one knows who has been the leader. I can tell you that from what I have heard in conversation is that VZW has port numbers in the Hundreds of Thousands, and we didn't steal anyones numbers. From what I saw in a communication is that there have been some agents, ie. Ma and Pa cellular that were taking customer info and sending through as a port without obtaining the customers permission. this is not VZW stealing the number is someone trying to make commission on something they should not be. So before we continue to state facts we do not have lets wait to when to official numbers come out.
cm78

Jan 1, 2004, 11:41 AM
Its not that anyone is picking on ATT..ATT is the company with the most complaints logged against them.
If you have that many people calling you who want to come back to ATT so bad, why isn't your company's subscriber base as large as Verizon's.
Big Poppa

Jan 1, 2004, 1:14 PM
I didnt say they HAD to use the same middle company.. I said things would be working more SMOOTHLY IF THEY DID! Instead they want to slow down the process so the customer will either STAY with them or just get a new number.
LordGreyWolf

Jan 1, 2004, 1:47 PM
AT&T does not want to slow down the process, It costs the company money when the people continually call into a call centre to find out the status of there port-out. AT&T has to pay for every call/minute/second that a person calls into a call centre for. As I am sure every person that works at a call centre can tell you. So slowing the process down is a negative for the bottom line, And I am not a die hard ATT is the best blah blah person. I see many areas that could be improved, I just dont care to have everyone and there dog claim that all the prob's with LNP are ATT fault. And all I see in here is people stating that ATT is to blame, Each company has had there share and it seems that everyone only likes to mention ATT. Has ATT dropped the...
(continues)
Myth

Jan 4, 2004, 6:22 PM
Before we go off hunting grand corporate conspiracies, it might do to consider the possibilities of inadequate preparation.

After all, a LOT of pieces have to work together for a port to come across smoothly, and I find it much more likely that some of the pieces were wrong, or broken, or insufficiently trained than some executive or board decided to raid numbers or teach some other company a lesson.

I consider it a piece of great good fortune, and a tribute to a lot of hard work by many many people that the process has worked at all, let alone for a great majority of the customers involved.
vzwpro

Jan 1, 2004, 9:49 AM
Maybe I'm just crazy or slow but whats that one thing that people sign when they go in somewhere to set up service? Oh yeah a contract!!! Plus how can we be stealing someones number if we dont have their information? Somehow the customer has given their information and said that they wanted to change. Now we all know how some customers are, they would claim anything happend as along as they get some type of advantage.
Big Poppa

Jan 2, 2004, 5:25 PM
You know what it is don't you... The go port thier number to another carrier, and for some reason or another, they werent happy with the wut the new carrier had to offer, so they run back to AT&T or whatever before the are locked into a new contract, but cry to AT&T claiming thier number was ported without consent so that they will not have to start a new contract with AT&T.

And now for AT&T to have something to come back with against everyone who is saying they basically suck, they start telling people companies like Verizon are porting without consent.

AT&T employees open your eyes.. You know just as well as everyone else, to port a customers number the company needs thier account # from the previous carrier, thier billing address w...
(continues)
Big Daddy

Jan 2, 2004, 5:27 PM
tru dat, but as we know customers will think of anything under the moon they think will give them an edge. one classic is " I did not know I used that many minutes, can you credit them for me??? UH NO I CANT ( WONT )
Big Poppa

Jan 3, 2004, 12:08 AM
So you agree with me??

I don't think ANY carrier is stealing numbers. These customer are not as dumb as you think they are.. They will use this to thier advantage.

It's something *I* woulda thought of. I woulda ported out to try another carrier, and if I didn't like the service they had to offer, I would run back to my previous carrier, saying they took my number without permission so I wont get charged a cancelation fee.
Big Daddy

Jan 3, 2004, 9:12 AM
you are correct no company is that dumb... I hope
Big Poppa

Jan 1, 2004, 1:12 PM
I have still yet to see ANY proof of Unauthorized porting... How are we doing it???
You need the customer account number with the old carrier, and the customer HAS to give it to us if they want to port...
moobak

Jan 1, 2004, 11:58 PM
You seem to shpeal off on how AT&T wireless is going to go out of business enough without ANY proof whatsoever, why can't we say things without proof about Verizon? We KNOW that AT&T Wireless's vendors fuggered up LNP. Remember this from your post?:
The FCC was careful to point out that the complaints do not necessarily indicate violations, nor do they reflect the number of customers attempting to churn **because most complaints mention more than one carrier.**
Big Poppa

Jan 2, 2004, 12:13 PM
I understand that. and I never said AT&T would go out of business..

And I do understand that the complaints are exactly what they are, complaints, not FCC Violations. But you have to admit, they do have considerably MORE than the other companies. And the reason they usually reflect more than one carrier, is because a lot of people don't know which carrier to blame for a porting delay, They don't know wether it's the old carrier or the new carrier causing the delay.. I really think AT&T need to drop neustar if that is what is causing the delyas, and go with the same company everyone else is going with to make the porting run smoother.. The more AT&T fights AGAINST porting, the more they are going to tarnish thier name.
moobak

Jan 4, 2004, 12:32 AM
I really, really don't think that AT&T is fighting against it purposely. And its nightfire, not neustar, but I understand why you might not know what it is lol. Is i TSI that all the other providers are using? What they're doing is purposely causing problems for the one company for not taking their service to get back at them. They can'
t drop nightfire, they probably have a contract.
Big Poppa

Jan 5, 2004, 10:50 AM
"The carrier added that it has worked closely with its LNP vendor NeuStar to facilitate the corrections resulting in AT&T Wireless’ ability to respond to more than 90 percent of the backlogged port requests, its ability to respond to port requests within Wireless Intercarrier Communications Interface Specifications guidelines and specifically responding to port requests with a valid response within 30 minutes greater than 75 percent of the time."

This is were I got the name neustar from, this is a paragraph out of the news story were AT&T tries to explain the porting delays.. I had got Nightfire and Neustar mixed up.. sorry
moobak

Jan 5, 2004, 11:17 PM
Aah wow something I don't know! Sad Got a link for that story I can steal?
annetagonist

Jan 7, 2004, 7:59 PM
...By the way.. ATT wireless was the first company to pick a third party company to handle the port requests. It's not thier fault that the other companies happened to pick someone else. Do your research.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2017 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.

This is a preview. Click for full glossary page.